The Student Room Group

Discrimination?

I know that intelligence is something that can be maintained and nurtured into growth, but you cannot deny the predominant factor of genes and hereditary into deciding your intelligence level? I've known people that are so hardworking and organised, and yet still do not hold a level of intelligence that someone would call 'smart'. Furthermore, the initial reaction to some people's intelligence would undoubtedly have had negative effects on them that have hindered their motivation to succeed? Then surely if a university rejects someone based on their intelligence and grades, whilst KNOWING their hard working character (from references etc.) would that be a form of discrimination, as it is based on something they can't control to their full extent? (idek if this question makes sense maybe I'm just stupid too ahaha)
Original post by frwfood
I know that intelligence is something that can be maintained and nurtured into growth, but you cannot deny the predominant factor of genes and hereditary into deciding your intelligence level? I've known people that are so hardworking and organised, and yet still do not hold a level of intelligence that someone would call 'smart'. Furthermore, the initial reaction to some people's intelligence would undoubtedly have had negative effects on them that have hindered their motivation to succeed? Then surely if a university rejects someone based on their intelligence and grades, whilst KNOWING their hard working character (from references etc.) would that be a form of discrimination, as it is based on something they can't control to their full extent? (idek if this question makes sense maybe I'm just stupid too ahaha)

If I was born without a leg, and I still tried to walk no matter the fact of the missing leg. Would I rightfully be rejected from idk lets say a premier league football team.
Reply 2
Original post by Casisalive
If I was born without a leg, and I still tried to walk no matter the fact of the missing leg. Would I rightfully be rejected from idk lets say a premier league football team.

Probably but isn't that just so cruel? If your ultimate passion in life was football and who knows, you might even be better at football with a prosthetic than some, but your disability causes others to discriminate against you justifiably. Your biggest dreams could be crushed over something you didn't choose.
Original post by frwfood
Probably but isn't that just so cruel? If your ultimate passion in life was football and who knows, you might even be better at football with a prosthetic than some, but your disability causes others to discriminate against you justifiably. Your biggest dreams could be crushed over something you didn't choose.

Its harsh but its just the nature of life, the ultimate roulette wheel.
Reply 4
Original post by frwfood

Not at all discrimination is the unjust treatment of people,rejecting those who you dont think will perform as well as others based on past results is not unjust,life isnt fair,some people are better at things than others get over it.
(edited 6 years ago)
I believe Universities have set grade offers due to the need for a certain level of ability to be successful on the course (I know Unis also up offer grades to boost prestige).

Although not letting someone who got e.g CCD in their Alevels/equivalent, go to a Russell Group Uni could be considered discrimination in your eyes. It is most likely for the best as 9/10 people with those grades wouldn't have the natural intellectual ability and determination to succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest