The Student Room Group

I am an EU citizen AMA

Born in Germany, moved to the UK when I was 8. Have been living in London ever since (for 10 years now). Parents are both German nationals of Polish descent (both were born in Poland and moved at an early age). My dad moved here to work for a German insurance firm's office in the U.K, and me and my mum both moved with him here.
We are all still German citizens although I can only speak basic German lol and can hardly even remember what my childhood in Germany was like
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ilikecats12
Born in Germany, moved to the UK when I was 8. Have been living in London ever since. Parents are both German nationals of Polish descent. My dad moved here to works for a German insurance firm's office in the U.K, and me and my mum both moved with him here.
We are all still German citizens although I can only speak basic German and can hardly even remember what my childhood in Germany was like.

Mrs Merkel is destroying your native country
Reply 2
Original post by FL Watch
Mrs Merkel is destroying your native country

Ok then
What do you think of the U.K? (If we wanna be more specific, from current situations to lifestyle idk lol :biggrin:)
Reply 4
Original post by Mathemagicien
We're all* EU citizens on TSR. Brexit, red white and blue though it may be, is still over a year away.

*except for the small number of Indians and Americans

Theresa May should resign
I'm also an EU citizen, so what?
Reply 6
Original post by mc_miah
What do you think of the U.K? (If we wanna be more specific, from current situations to lifestyle idk lol :biggrin:)

I like it a lot. I've only lived in London so don't know what it's like to live in other parts of the country but London is a great city, so much history everywhere you go, great public transport, very diverse, so much to do, and has friendly but quiet people.

I've been living here since I was 8 years old so I feel at home here, can't imagine living anywhere else. London is full of opportunities as well, when it comes to careers and starting a business.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
They put you in London for 10 years?

Christ, I didn't think we treated immigrants that badly. Isn't there a human rights law against this kind of maltreatment?!

London is probably the best city in the UK in my view, I have visited the other main cities like Birmingham/Manchester/Cardiff/Liverpool/Bradford/Leeds and they all seem (no offence intended) a bit boring and they aren't very significant globally. London is really one of the, if not the, most globally influential cities on the planet. I love the history, the culture, the transport, the diversity and the opportunities it has to offer. I might not be British but I would say I'm a Londoner lol
London is probably the best city in the UK in my view, I have visited the other main cities like Birmingham/Manchester/Cardiff/Liverpool/Bradford/Leeds and they all seem (no offence intended) a bit boring and they aren't very significant globally. London is really one of the, if not the, most globally influential cities on the planet. I love the history, the culture, the transport, the diversity and the opportunities it has to offer. I might not be British but I would say I'm a Londoner lol

I’m sorry to hear that you had to visit those other cities.
Reply 9
...???!!!

...Oh, I see, that's what you are comparing London to.

I've been to parts of Dorset and Cornwall, both very beautiful and nice in their own ways but I'd prefer to live in a city personally and out of all the cities in the U.K. I've been I'd say London is the best by quite a long way (obviously excluding the more dodgy parts)
Born in Germany, moved to the UK when I was 8. Have been living in London ever since (for 10 years now). Parents are both German nationals of Polish descent (both were born in Poland and moved at an early age). My dad moved here to work for a German insurance firm's office in the U.K, and me and my mum both moved with him here.
We are all still German citizens although I can only speak basic German lol and can hardly even remember what my childhood in Germany was like

Do you like the weather
Original post by Blue_Cow
Do you like the weather

It's not exactly ideal but the weather across Northern/Western/Eastern Europe isn't great overall. I don't really mind the weather. Unlike most British people I just don't really notice the weather, it's not something I think about haha
I've been to parts of Dorset and Cornwall, both very beautiful and nice in their own ways but I'd prefer to live in a city personally and out of all the cities in the U.K. I've been I'd say London is the best by quite a long way (obviously excluding the more dodgy parts)

If you exclude the dodgy parts, just the only things you are left with are Downing Street and Buckingham palace, hardly a city.
You've been looking at the wrong cities lmao.

I was joking about London, but really, those other cities are terrible. Visit York, Oxford, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Bristol and Bath some day.

Cambridge is absolutely beautiful, fantastic architecture. I went there last year for the uni interview but got rejected so I guess I'm never going there again lol
I really want to visit Bath. I've seen pictures of the architecture and it looks amazing.
You've been looking at the wrong cities lmao.

I was joking about London, but really, those other cities are terrible. Visit York, Oxford, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Bristol and Bath some day.

Oxford is horrible outside of the city centre, and Bristol is hardly a cultural hub. I'll give you the others though.
What do you think of Brexit and has it changed your day to day life? Are you planning to go back or stay in the U.K. after the uk leaves (I hope you stay, you seem like a nice guy
Original post by Ladbants
What do you think of Brexit and has it changed your day to day life? Are you planning to go back or stay in the U.K. after the uk leaves (I hope you stay, you seem like a nice guy

Personally I don't agree with Brexit, and I think if we leave with no deal or any deal that doesn't involve some level of access to the single market it would be disastrous for the economy. But I understand why people wanted to leave, and there are some legitimate reasons. I dislike the way some of the EU leaders are pushing for greater integration and I feel that the Euro was a mistake. I think the EU's focus should be on free trade.

At the same time, I feel that a lot people are wrong about immigration and understate the benefits that it can bring to the UK. EU migrants are working in all sectors of the economy including the NHS and financial services. I understand that there are some sitting there claiming benefits but overall they make a net contribution to the economy. And I don't understand the rhetoric about 'immigrants taking our jobs'- if a native Briton can't compete with a Bulgarian immigrant who can barely speak English I think maybe more skills training is needed. I think London is a good example of a city which has benefitted greatly from immigration and that can be seen from the lack of support for Brexit here.

But I do feel, more recently, that I'm less welcome here. People are more vocal about their opposition to immigration and the uncertainty surrounding the Brexit talks suggest that the chance of a no-deal situation is higher, in which case I don't know if I can stay here or if I'll have all the rights I have now. Recently I have started preparing for the life in the UK test to apply for UK citizenship, just in case. The worst thing has been that before I used to feel that I was a part of this country but the Brexit vote kinda showed that most people don't really feel the same, sad really. I guess if I get citizenship that will solidify my status as 'British'
(edited 6 years ago)
What part of London do you live in?
Original post by Trapz99
What part of London do you live in?

Parsons Green, in west/southwest London
(edited 6 years ago)
I like it a lot. I've only lived in London so don't know what it's like to live in other parts of the country but London is a great city, so much history everywhere you go, great public transport, very diverse, so much to do, and has friendly but quiet people.

I've been living here since I was 8 years old so I feel at home here, can't imagine living anywhere else. London is full of opportunities as well, when it comes to careers and starting a business.

London, good? those two phrases should not go in the same sentence. Come to the West Midlands you would want to go back to Germany

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending