The Student Room Group

How I got 10A*s, 2As and a B at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

when did you start revising mate
Reply 21
Seeing as you got a B in further maths I assume you found it to be the hardest GCSE, so I just wanted to know what you think you could've done to get an A*. I am doing further maths too and I'm not very confident in it .
Original post by lauriebeth7
My results & exam boards were:
AQA English Language - 9
AQA English Lit - 8
Edexcel Maths - 8
OCR Biology - A*
OCR Chemistry - A*
OCR Physics - A*
AQA History - A*
AQA Business - A*
Edexcel Art - A*
AQA French - A*
WJEC ICT - A
Edexcel RE - A
AQA Further Maths - B

I'm now studying A level Biology, Chemistry and History and would like to do something like medicine or dentistry in the future.

I want to start by saying that I am naturally quite clever, but I also worked extremely hard (English or ICT did not come naturally at all)! Had I not worked hard and revised effectively, these grades would not have been achievable. I don't go to a private school or grammar school, just a normal secondary school in North East England.

My general tips are:
1. Don't spend all your time making your revision notes pretty
I made mindmaps (mainly for science), but I made them quickly and didn't spend ages. I used a couple of colours and highlighters, but didn't add loads of detail. However, I made flash cards for history and spent way too long on them for my first exam that I only had 5 days to cover all the content for my second (although I did manage - just). It's more about making sure you make notes that cover the content well, as this is what you're going to need in the exam. Do try and make your notes neat and readable though, as if they're too scruffy you won't want to revise from them.

2. Don't panic that you think you're not doing enough (providing you're actually revising).
I can promise you that there wasn't a single time when I was revising, particularly before I started sitting exams, that I wasn't having a mental meltdown that I wasn't going to cover everything in time. You need to remember that you aren't a superhero, you're not going to be able to learn an entire revision guide immediately, it takes time - and everyone else is in the same boat!.The work that you are putting in will make a difference and will pay off.

3. If you're not writing, you're not revising.
Simply reading a revision guide isn't going to make you remember it, you have to engage with the information. Writing and summarising sentences or paragraphs, even if it's you're messiest handwriting on a scrap piece of paper is 100% going to help you remember more, as your brain is taking it in and doing something with it.

4. Practice, practice practice.
I know that with the new specifications there aren't any past papers out there. However, you can try and find predicted papers nearer to the exams (but don't think that they're certain to be the questions/topics you'll see in the real thing), particularly with maths. You could attempt the specimen papers given by exam boards, but wait until nearer the exams to do this, when you've fully revised everything.

5. Find patterns or come up with ways to remember things
It's been proven that your brain is more likely to remember things if you attach something to it to help you remember. For example, in Biology I came up with LORD to remember that the Left side of the heart carries Oxygenated blood and the Right side Deoxygenated. For English, I watched Mr Bruff's quotation songs for my texts and learnt quotes this way, the poetry rap was particularly useful and for An Inspector Calls 2/3 of the quotes I used in the exam were from the AIC song.

Any questions that are about revision, subject specific or just general y10/11 advice then please ask, I'll be happy to help. I'm not posting this to brag or boast, I learnt a lot from TSR when revising for my exams and really want to give something back.

Congrats on your amazing results, i am currently in year 11 so how should i start to watch mr bruffs videos. A starting point and which videos helped you.
Original post by bxarnca
Any tips for english literature poetry comparisons? pls reply and thanks x

Plan essays in advance for a comparison for each poem (remember each comparison covers 2 poems coming up so you will only need 7/8 plans) and learn them, write practice essays/paragraphs writing them up and ask your teacher to have a look and give you some feedback.
Original post by ezaz001
I want to study the same subjects as you for A levels. What are your opinions on them.

Biology was my favourite subject at GCSE but is different to GCSE in that you have to remember words that are complicated and often sound similar so they can get confusing. It's also a lot more maths based than gcse, there's a few equations to learn. Although it's hard it's really interesting in my opinion and I enjoy most lessons.

Chemistry is very maths based, with one of my teachers we've only done maths really. It's equations mostly, but I personally don't mind maths and am quite good at it so it doesn't bother me too much. It was the subject I was most dreading because I didn't really love it at GCSE but needed it for what I want to do in the future, but honestly I'm enjoying it mostly so far and don't find it as hard as expected.

History is quite similar to GCSE in a way but different in others. You still have source questions and it's a lot of analysing, but the examiner cares about your opinion much more than at GCSE, which I like. I find it a nice change to the sciences and it offers some variety as it is different. I do enjoy it but it's quite hard to remember things, but you'll be fine if you go over things often.
Original post by Ex-pert
when did you start revising mate

An hour or 2 every day or so from the first day back after the February holidays to the Easter holidays when I started to do about 5 hours a day up until exams started when I spent the majority of my time revising, but I gave myself breaks.
Original post by Harama
Seeing as you got a B in further maths I assume you found it to be the hardest GCSE, so I just wanted to know what you think you could've done to get an A*. I am doing further maths too and I'm not very confident in it .

To be honest I actually found it OK, it was just the way my school organised it. We only had a lesson once a week and had to stay after school for it starting from y11 and to be honest I didn't go sometimes and it was sometimes cancelled for parents evenings and stuff. I kind of regret not doing more as I only revised for a few days before the exams, so to do more I would revise more and make sure you attempt past papers properly once you've covered everything.
Original post by Danny7867
Congrats on your amazing results, i am currently in year 11 so how should i start to watch mr bruffs videos. A starting point and which videos helped you.

Thank you! :smile: You could maybe start with some of the student exemplars to see how other people have done things and see how he says they could improve. The ones I found the most useful were the individual poem grade 9 analysises because it gave me ideas I would never have been able to think of alone and showed me how to analyse and think outside the box more.
Reply 28
Original post by lauriebeth7
To be honest I actually found it OK, it was just the way my school organised it. We only had a lesson once a week and had to stay after school for it starting from y11 and to be honest I didn't go sometimes and it was sometimes cancelled for parents evenings and stuff. I kind of regret not doing more as I only revised for a few days before the exams, so to do more I would revise more and make sure you attempt past papers properly once you've covered everything.

Thank you very much I will keep that in mind going forward , I forgot to congratulate you so congrats and good luck in your a levels
Original post by Harama
Thank you very much I will keep that in mind going forward , I forgot to congratulate you so congrats and good luck in your a levels

Thank you, good luck with your GCSEs!
Only an 8 in maths and a B in further maths gcse smh :P. Well done for doing well and have fun with biology and chemistry. I mean you aren't taking the really juicy subjects like physics and maths but you don't need em for medicine.
what revision stuff did your purchase
did you purchase my gcse science
did you go tuition
Original post by Ex-pert
what revision stuff did your purchase
did you purchase my gcse science
did you go tuition

I only bought revision guides that my school sold and didn't buy mygcsescience as it wasn't for my exam board, but I did use the YouTube channel for some things. I didn't have tuition either

Quick Reply

Latest