The Student Room Group

Should I drop Physics without doing an AS

I am currently in Year 12 doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I was planning on doing Physics up to AS only, but for some reason I find Physics really hard to cope with and to handle along with 3 other subjects. I also feel like Physics might affect my performance in my other three subjects as well since I have to work equally hard for 4 subjects.

But no matter how much I work for Physics, I seem to never get it. Also Physics is not a requirement for me as I am planning to do medicine at university. Also I really want to do good in Maths, Biology and Chemistry this year so that I can get good predicted grades and also I don't do AS for these 3, only A-level.

My question is should I drop Physics without doing an AS or do Physics AS? Also is there any extra advantage for me if I do Physics AS?

Many thanks,
Ukvoltaire
Reply 1
Original post by Ukvoltaire
I am currently in Year 12 doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I was planning on doing Physics up to AS only, but for some reason I find Physics really hard to cope with and to handle along with 3 other subjects. I also feel like Physics might affect my performance in my other three subjects as well since I have to work equally hard for 4 subjects.

But no matter how much I work for Physics, I seem to never get it. Also Physics is not a requirement for me as I am planning to do medicine at university. Also I really want to do good in Maths, Biology and Chemistry this year so that I can get good predicted grades and also I don't do AS for these 3, only A-level.

My question is should I drop Physics without doing an AS or do Physics AS? Also is there any extra advantage for me if I do Physics AS?

Many thanks,
Ukvoltaire

yes. Physics is not needed for medicine.
Reply 2
Do you think you'll do well?
An AS grade in a subject you're not taking at A2 will not be treated as seriously as if it was what you were taking at A2, but unis will still take it into account. If it's the only one you're taking for AS and you get a bad grade, they'll think "They had all that revision time for one subject and they got this?". It won't reflect well.

If you think you'll do well and get an A/B (depending on which uni you want to get into), then go ahead. It'll give you an extra edge over other applicants.
If you think you'll get a C or below, then don't, because it'll only drag you down.

That being said, ask your teachers and get other opinions. These are my opinions and I am by no means an expert on this. Take my advice with a grain of salt.
I would talk to your Sixth-form/college about this. I think if it means u will do better in the other 3 then it may be better. But the school term has only just started. It may improve?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest