The Student Room Group

Man convicted for grabbing woman's breasts during consensual sex

A most unusual story. Not really sure what to think about it. If he indeed did what is claimed, then he probably deserves to be convicted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/11/medical-graduate-put-sex-offenders-register-grabbing-tinder/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's his life ruined then.
That is pretty ****ed up, thought it was really strange from the thread title but makes sense after reading the article. I mean some people are into that hardcore kinky **** but you need consent to go that far deffo.
IMO,that’s hardly sexual assault.
Reply 5
If the woman told him to not touch her and then he did then obviously he should be convicted, but it's weird that she was fine with him penetrating her and yet touching her breasts is a step too far
Having read the story then he deserves the conviction.

If he wasnt a real threat then not sure about whether he had to be out on the sex offenders register and have his career ruined, but from the article he was asked not to but he persisted in assaulting her.He should have known better..

In a written judgment, magistrate Bridget Shaw said: "I am sure that Miss X withdrew consent for Queree to grab her breasts.
"Queree knew this but continued to do so forcefully, causing the complainant considerable pain. This was an assault. Queree touched a sexual and intimate part of her body in a sexual manner without her consent.
"Irrespective of her consent to other sexual conduct, I am sure that the touching was in circumstances of indecency and thus Queree is guilty of indecent assault."
The court heard that the woman made a complaint to police as a result of bruising she suffered to both breasts.
Original post by cherryred90s
IMO,that’s hardly sexual assault.

What would you call forcing on someone a sex act that they had just explicitly told you not to do then?
Original post by anarchism101
What would you call forcing on someone a sex act that they had just explicitly told you not to do then?

It seems like she only took it to court because it hurt her, not just because he grabbed her breasts. Idk, seems a bit too trivial to effectively ruin someone’s career.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Reading the article it sounds like he deserved the conviction. But yes, weird how bruising a breast during sex is so much worse than stabbing your boyfriend (she didn't get jail after all - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-41389520).

That's the difference between a bloke at KCL med school and a girlie future barrister at Oxford with 'mitigating circumstances'.

But of course, let it not be said that news media deliberately leave out the 'controversial' details that provide context and clarity for the judgement and sentence, m'lud.
(edited 6 years ago)

Personality disorder, eating disorder, drug/alcohol dependency? Not sure I'd want her operating on my heart tbh..
Original post by cherryred90s
It seems like she only took it to court because it hurt her, not just because he grabbed her breasts.

That may be true (though can't know for sure - it could be the other way round, namely that she knew her breasts hurt and bruised easily and asked him not to grab them for precisely that reason), but what's wrong with that? I can imagine plenty of situations where someone commits a criminal act against you, but whether you choose to let it go, or report it to the police depends on how much it damaged/hurt you.
Conviction was right. She consented to sex, but said be gentle with the boobs, so he violated her body.
The article gave me the hibbyy jibbies.

I agree that hurting her and touching her breast without her consent is wrong and out of line.

But for some reason this article is making me paranoid to have sex.:ninja:

What happens if I am in consensual agreement to have sex, but then she suddenly tries to convict me of penetrating without consent.:shock:

Next thing I know I am in court facing 5 years in prison for something that's not my thought.:gasp:

That's a horrowing thought.
That may be true (though can't know for sure - it could be the other way round, namely that she knew her breasts hurt and bruised easily and asked him not to grab them for precisely that reason), but what's wrong with that? I can imagine plenty of situations where someone commits a criminal act against you, but whether you choose to let it go, or report it to the police depends on how much it damaged/hurt you.

I agree. It's not like they were having sex and he just touched her breast, she screamed "rape!" and brought charges. It seems he violently grabbed her breast, perhaps almost punched it.

I've bedded people before who are a bit like that, who seem to think that they don't need to ask before grabbing you in a hard / painful way. It's super creepy and weird. I think he probably deserves the conviction.
He's a medical graduate, would have expected better from someone so intelligent
Original post by LondonsSweetBoy

But for some reason this article is making me paranoid to have sex.:ninja:

What happens if I am in consensual agreement to have sex, but then she suddenly tries to convict me of penetrating without consent.:shock:

A person is entitled to withdraw consent to sex at any time, and you then have to stop. But they cannot retroactively withdraw consent.

A woman would find it very difficult to convince the police and CPS to bring charges if the basis of her accusation was that you were having sex consensually, and then she changed her mind but didn't say or do anything that would let you know that.

It is a defence to a charge of rape to assert that you had reasonable grounds to believe that someone was consenting. So for example, let's say that you and a woman go to bed and you are having sex consensually, and then she silently and without informing you withdraws consent. You could say you have reasonable grounds for belief in her consent.

Next thing I know I am in court facing 5 years in prison for something that's not my thought.

I wouldn't say that's impossible, but it's certainly rare

True
Original post by AlexanderHam
I agree. It's not like they were having sex and he just touched her breast, she screamed "rape!" and brought charges. It seems he violently grabbed her breast, perhaps almost punched it.

I've bedded people before who are a bit like that, who seem to think that they don't need to ask before grabbing you in a hard / painful way. It's super creepy and weird. I think he probably deserves the conviction.

Yeah, and it seems he kept doing it repeatedly despite her clear pain and discomfort, and didn't apologise despite her (essentially) offering him the opportunity to say sorry and move on.

This is what I think a lot of people don't get about rape and sexual assault cases. It's not merely about lack of consent, but lack of belief in consent. Misreading someone's body language and accidentally doing something they don't want happens (I know I've done it), and if when they say "Don't do that, I don't like that" (or something along those lines), you stop, apologise, and move on, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending