The Student Room Group

Strange quadratic

I'm stuck on this strange question:

kx^2 - (3k+2)x + (k+3) = 0 , has roots A and B.

i) Show that the roots are real and distinct for all numbers k,

ii) If A= 2/B, find K

iii) Given this value of K, without solving the equation, find the equation whose roots are -A^2 and -B^2.

I'll be honest, i've been on the first part for 2 hours now and I have no clue where to go. I've tried to use b^2 = 4ac but I can't get anywhere. Any people willing to help?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, my maths skills are only up to A Level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BanglaBOSS

ii) If A= 2/B, find K

iii) Given this value of K, without solving the equation, find the equation whose roots are -A^2 and -B^2.

I'll be honest, i've been on the first part for 2 hours now and I have no clue where to go. I've tried to use b^2 = 4ac but I can't get anywhere. Any people willing to help?

Thanks in advance!

b^2 - 4ac > 0
Reply 2

ii) If A= 2/B, find K

Thanks in advance!

You need to plug in the coefficients into that and then you get a different quadratic involving k.
Reply 3
You need to plug in the coefficients into that and then you get a different quadratic involving k.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I solved b2 - 4ac for k, but what does this K mean? And what can I do with it to find out if b2 - 4ac is bigger, smaller or equal to 0?
Reply 4
Sorry, i actually incorrectly solved for K.
Reply 5
I used b^2 - 4ac, and i've got it down to 5k^2 + 4.
I used b^2 - 4ac, and i've got it down to 5k^2 + 4.

and how's this expression ? can it be less than 0 ?
Reply 7
That's the problem. The question says f(x) has two distinct roots, but if i solve b^2 - 4ac for K, i get a negative number.
Reply 8
Original post by xAikx

I'm down to 5k^2 + 4. Solving for k gets me a negatice number, but the original equation is meant to have 2 distinct roots :redface:
That's the problem. The question says f(x) has two distinct roots, but if i solve b^2 - 4ac for K, i get a negative number.

I don't think you do . Let's just break it down

first term 5k^2 can this term ever be less than 0 ? for any real k
second term 4 which is obviously positive regardless of k
Reply 10
So what can I do to prove kx^2 - (3k+2)x + (k+3) = 0 has 2 distinct roots?

for this to happen delta(b^2 - 4ac) must be strictly greater than 0 ( real = delta is greater or equal to 0 , distinct = delta is not 0)
Reply 12
That means my delta was wrong. Would you be able to work out the delta please?
That means my delta was wrong. Would you be able to work out the delta please?

your delta is right 5k^2 +4

Solve in terms of b^2-4ac > 0 showing that it has 2 distinct real solutions
If it comes out with (3k+2)^2 - 4k(k+3) you get (9k^2+12k+4) - (4k^2+12k) which is 5k^2 + 4
Since k^2 is guaranteed to be positive even if k is negative (look up squares mate) then the discriminant will always be > 0 as even if k = 0 then the +4 constant means the min value will be 4 :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by AmmarTa
Solve in terms of b^2-4ac > 0 showing that it has 2 distinct real solutions
If it comes out with (3k+2)^2 - 4k(k+3) you get (9k^2+12k+4) - (4k^2+12k) which is 5k^2 + 4
Since k^2 is guaranteed to be positive even if k is negative (look up squares mate) then the discriminant will always be > 0 as even if k = 0 then the +4 constant means the min value will be 4 :smile:.

Thanks for the really detailed reply :smile:, where I am getting stuck is where K^2 > -4/5

You can't square root negatives right?
Thanks for the really detailed reply :smile:, where I am getting stuck is where K^2 > -4/5

out of context : you can indeed root square negative numbers but the result will be a complex number
but here k is real so the square is obviously greater than any negative number

As far as A Level maths goes (further covers it), no. You only really deal with "real" and "natural" numbers and square rooting a negative doesn't give you an answer that's either of those (real is just a regular number, can be any number; natural is all positive integers starting at 1, it's the numbers that would've been used for counting for maths' most original and primitive uses). I'm interested in where you got k^2 > -4/5 from?
Reply 18
Thanks for the replies guys! I used b^2 - 4ac to get 5k^2 +4. As f(x) has 2 roots, 5k^2 + 4 > 0. I then subtracted 4 and divided by 5 on both sides, to get k^2 > -4/5.
As far as I can see, to solve part 2, you'd work out the 2 roots using the quadratic formula [(-b +- root(b^2 - 4ac))/2a] using your coefficients of a, b and c:
a = k, b = 3k + 2, c = k + 3
x = [-(3k+2) + or - root(5k^2+4)]/2k
We'll say that the positive form is A and the negative form is B:
A = (-(3k+2) + root(5k^2+4)) / 2k
B = (-(3k+2) - root(5k^2+4)) / 2k
Therefore since A = 2 / B we can set this to be true
(-(3k+2) + root(5k^2+4)) / 2k = 2 / ((-(3k+2) - root(5k^2+4)) / 2k)
From here, there's a few ways to solve it - we could painfully multiply the LHS by the denominator on the RHS to get an equation involving the k terms on once side and simply 2 on the other side. I'm not typing that monstrosity of an equation so instead I'll just tell you k = 3 (I'm sure you can multiply and expand brackets).

Quick Reply

Latest