The Student Room Group

Change in circumstances for living conditions

Hi,

I applied for student loans and i used my fathers tax information as proof of household income. My father is on benefits as hes disabled and we live in a council house. However, i plan to move to my mother's house as its closer to my uni but still in the same city so i can go to my fathers house to visit occasionally as hes disabled.

I'd like to know, if i do move to my mothers house and live with her, do i have to update this on my SFE application? And do i have to send in her tax history so they can update the amount of loans i will be getting? My mother is on a 0 hour contract for elderly care and usually works 4 nights a week.

Also, if my maintenance loan gets reduced, do i have to repay the overpayment immediately or do i pay that with my loans when my income meets the required criteria?

Furthermore, when do you recommend i do this? I started my course in september of 2017 and got my first payment and my second is due in January. Do i inform SFE before january so they can get all things sorted or do i wait till the first year of my course ends as i am still visiting my father?

Thanks for the help and if there are any questions or need anything clarified, let me know.
Original post by Nexuspro
Hi,

I applied for student loans and i used my fathers tax information as proof of household income. My father is on benefits as hes disabled and we live in a council house. However, i plan to move to my mother's house as its closer to my uni but still in the same city so i can go to my fathers house to visit occasionally as hes disabled.

I'd like to know, if i do move to my mothers house and live with her, do i have to update this on my SFE application? And do i have to send in her tax history so they can update the amount of loans i will be getting? My mother is on a 0 hour contract for elderly care and usually works 4 nights a week.

Also, if my maintenance loan gets reduced, do i have to repay the overpayment immediately or do i pay that with my loans when my income meets the required criteria?

Furthermore, when do you recommend i do this? I started my course in september of 2017 and got my first payment and my second is due in January. Do i inform SFE before january so they can get all things sorted or do i wait till the first year of my course ends as i am still visiting my father?

Thanks for the help and if there are any questions or need anything clarified, let me know.

You should update the details with sfe, I can't see your loan amount going down if it's just your mums income in that household though so I wouldn't worry about that.
Original post by Nexuspro
Hi,

Hi Nexuspro,

As the change has happened after the start of the academic year we do not need to be informed of this until the you apply in the following year, unless by changing the information there would be a difference to your entitlement.

If you want to change who supports your application you should send us a cover letter advising of the change along with an income details form (PFF2) completed by your mother.

We would reassess on your application on her figures from Tax Year 2015/16. If those figures are higher and mean a reduction in the amount of Maintenance Loan available to you then your remaining instalments would be adjusted accordingly.

If your both your parents' 2015/16 taxable income was below the threshold of £25k you wouldn't need to make any updates this year.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending