The Student Room Group

Welcome to Apprenticeships & Alternative to Uni!

:badger: Welcome to Apprenticeships & alternatives to uni! :badger:

Thinking about being different and choosing a path other than going to uni? Or are you currently working as an apprentice and want to talk to others in the same position?

It's all in here for you!

:thumbsup:

What types of conversation can I find in the Apprenticeships & alternatives forums?

Anything and everything related to Apprenticeships, School Leaver programmes, traineeships and sponsored degrees! Whether you have just started exploring your options or you are in the middle of an apprenticeship, pop in this forum to get your questions answered or help out others!

I would like to start a society in Apprenticeships & alternatives- how would I go about doing this?

If you would like to start up a society of your own, such as The Apprentices 2016 or School Leaver Applicants, all you need to do is set up a thread as normal with info on what the society will be all about and simply alert a member of the Community Team or Support Team and we can highlight the thread for you.

Check out our most popular Apprenticeships & alternatives to uni threads!

British Gas trainee smart meter expert

Jaguar/Land Rover apprenticeship scheme

KPMG apprenticeship scheme

Apprenticeships with BT

IBM Apprenticeship

Can you quit an apprenticeship?

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship

Got any other questions?

Our lovely Support Team are about to help with any questions you might have- you can spot them by their purple usernames!

:bl:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
x

Do TSR offer any apprenticeships?

Or is this something you're considering?
I had a look at these and most of the links seem to be directed at males, how about females?
Hi all!

Come over and chat on my link as being a start-up Recruitment Agency looking for non-graduate students, who are innovative and looking for a better alternative, than sticking out in a course to get a degree that they might not get to even use properly in the proffessional world. Don't fear what you lack but what you can gain. Where I and my team are working to find the best solutions to getting you into work but not just any job. A proffessional career, that can allow you to express your true worth. So come along and start the convo! I look forward to hearing from yourself and getting you on the road to a real career!!!
Reply 4
Hi what jobs is there that you can do an apprenticeship i?
Hi I am currently home studying with ICS learning AAT level 2 and looking for getting an apprenticeship or training to help me further my career can anybody suggest anything I am in my 30's so older than typical apprentice but I am hoping my age will not stop me from getting a career
Amieowen,

You can do apprenticeships in a staggering number of disciplines that offer varied jobs. There are too many too list however below are a few links that will direct you to a website to search apprenticeships:

1. The government's own apprenticeship search portal - https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

2. GetMyFirstJob - https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/

3. Don't forget to search for apprenticeships of the inidividual websites of employers, they list many vacancies that don't alwayss appear on job boards like Indeed, Total jobs, Reed, Monster etc.

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone!

I can see that you are looking into University alternative career options. I was in the same boat 2 years ago when deciding what to do after sixth form as I wanted to further my studies but didn’t want the huge amount of uni debt that came with it.

I came across QA apprenticeships through a friend, and knew it was the right option for me. An apprenticeship is a great way to get a job, experience and qualifications (up to a degree) all debt free.

After one year, I have graduated with my L3 digital marketing apprenticeship, have professional work experience working on a variety of projects with senior managers and now have a full-time job!

If you are interested, It would be worth looking into some of the apprenticeship programmes QA offer.

As an apprentice grad, I am happy to help answer any questions you may have about apprenticeships to help you make the right career choice so, drop us a message on our profile if you'd like to have a chat or reply to our message on this thread :smile:

Amrit
QA Apprenticeships Team
What do u need to do to get a degree apprenticeship- apparently it's nearly impossible and you will need to be favourable in the eyes of the employer.
Original post by Ahmedjumeh
What do u need to do to get a degree apprenticeship- apparently it's nearly impossible and you will need to be favourable in the eyes of the employer.

It is ultimately dependent on the employer itself but usually, in order to get a degree apprenticeship, you would need at least 2-3 A-Levels in order to apply for them. When I applied for my degree apprenticeship I only needed 80 UCAS Tariff points. Additionally, it isn't "Impossible" to get a degree apprenticeship, however, you need to prove to the employer that you have what it takes to do the degree apprenticeship in the first place and what you want to get out of it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi
I would like to do a chemical engineering apprenticeship, but where is the best place to look? I have tried contacting employers but I get a generic reply stating to look at that section of their website. I want to actually have a conversation! Is anyone able to help me please?
Hi,
Have you tried searching on the .GOV.UK website, I'll leave the link below. The search page holds thousands of vacancies. By using key words, (e.g. Chemical engineering) your location and willingness to travel (e.g10-20miles) it will bring up live vacancies available within that area and relating to your key words :smile:
Good luck!
https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/
apprenticeshipsearch
Reply 12
Original post by Apprenticeships Advice
Hi,
Have you tried searching on the .GOV.UK website, I'll leave the link below. The search page holds thousands of vacancies. By using key words, (e.g. Chemical engineering) your location and willingness to travel (e.g10-20miles) it will bring up live vacancies available within that area and relating to your key words :smile:
Good luck!
https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/
apprenticeshipsearch

Thanks very much. I'll give it a look
Is there anyway of getting into STEM careers via an apprenticeship or does it have to be through academia?
Original post by student32610
Is there anyway of getting into STEM careers via an apprenticeship or does it have to be through academia?

I'm on a software engineering apprenteship so they do exist. I guess it depends what STEM subject or role you're interested in.
Original post by DayneD89
I'm on a software engineering apprenteship so they do exist. I guess it depends what STEM subject or role you're interested in.

Thinking of going into physics or engineering so it seems unlikely, thanks
Reply 16
Hi guys,

Anyone at the Career unlocked stage for the PWC school leaver scheme in assurance, if so what's it like and how is the numerical and abstract reasoning. I have already practiced the tests on the website-is it like that or harder?

Thanks and good luck for those applying :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Queen Cersei
:badger: Welcome to Apprenticeships & alternatives to uni! :badger:

Thinking about being different and choosing a path other than going to uni? Or are you currently working as an apprentice and want to talk to others in the same position?

It's all in here for you!

:thumbsup:

What types of conversation can I find in the Apprenticeships & alternatives forums?

Anything and everything related to Apprenticeships, School Leaver programmes, traineeships and sponsored degrees! Whether you have just started exploring your options or you are in the middle of an apprenticeship, pop in this forum to get your questions answered or help out others!

I would like to start a society in Apprenticeships & alternatives- how would I go about doing this?

If you would like to start up a society of your own, such as The Apprentices 2016 or School Leaver Applicants, all you need to do is set up a thread as normal with info on what the society will be all about and simply alert a member of the Community Team or Support Team and we can highlight the thread for you.

Check out our most popular Apprenticeships & alternatives to uni threads!

British Gas trainee smart meter expert

Jaguar/Land Rover apprenticeship scheme

KPMG apprenticeship scheme

Apprenticeships with BT

IBM Apprenticeship

Can you quit an apprenticeship?

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship

Got any other questions?

Our lovely Support Team are about to help with any questions you might have- you can spot them by their purple usernames!

:bl:

Hi, I hate my apprenticeship, it's in a law firm but I dont know what to do as I want to be able to afford to run a car. Can I also mention I am recovering from a stroke so extremely tired but can't afford to reduce my hours.
I am second year in college and i am looking for an apprenticeship in Hairdressing and i was wondering if anyone knows where any apprenticeships are for Hairdressing level 2?.
Reply 19
Hi, I've got an offer to warwick for psychology, but I am considering the option of an apprenticeship - however, I dont know that not doing a degree and working through an apprenticeship will limit my career prospects in the long term, in terms of the level of position I would eligible for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending