The Student Room Group

Can Uni make her pay???

My girlfriend is studying her PGCE and they have asked her to pay for a 'mandatory' trip at a cost of nearly £100. This trip doesn't involve her doing any teaching and she won't be gaining any additional 'non uni' qualifications. Best of all, it's also over a weekend.

Where does she stand in saying 'No'?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by ph80
My girlfriend is studying her PGCE and they have asked her to pay for a 'mandatory' trip at a cost of nearly £100. This trip doesn't involve her doing any teaching and she won't be gaining any additional 'non uni' qualifications. Best of all, it's also over a weekend.

Thanks in advance.

If they say it's mandatory, to be honest, she probably has to do it. It might not directly affect her ability to do the PGCE, but when her tutor is likely the one marking her work / being responsible for her grading, getting on their wrong side can be bad.

Unless it's a case of simply not being able to afford it, in which case she can complain to the university itself for that.
Original post by ph80
My girlfriend is studying her PGCE and they have asked her to pay for a 'mandatory' trip at a cost of nearly £100. This trip doesn't involve her doing any teaching and she won't be gaining any additional 'non-uni' qualifications. Best of all, it's also over a weekend.

Thanks in advance.
From a legal point of view I cannot see how the university can ask for further payment for a "mandatory" trip.

If it is mandatory for the course she has already paid for, then there should not be an additional payment necessary, if the uni won't budge then find the link on their website that says "official complaint".:wink:
What kind of trip is it?
What trip is it? Was it included in the year's timetable when she started the course?
Thanks for your replies so far.

The trip is an outdoor adventure trip and having checked with her, it featured in the timetable from the start.
Original post by ph80
Thanks for your replies so far.

The trip is an outdoor adventure trip and having checked with her, it featured in the timetable from the start.

Yes she should go and if her attitude is right, she will get a lot from it. Education costs and sometimes you just have to suck stuff like this up. Look at the bigger picture. What a superb opportunity!

Good luck!
Are you being serious? She’s paid £9,250 for this course of which she only gets 8 weeks worth of time with tutors. The rest of her time is spent with teachers who are mentoring her in her placement. Having already paid that she is expected to pay £100 for a weekend doing adventurous activities and will have worked 8 days on the run. We cannot afford £100 and the Uni are saying they can’t offer financial assistance.If she gained some teaching time with young people (which she doesn’t) or some additional qualifications (which she doesn’t) then I could see the argument. However, she’s expected to give a weekend up after a demanding week on placement to go on this trip, for what appears to be no reason!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending