The Student Room Group

Horrible, low GCSE results but A*A*A predicted grades... Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by milktea_xox
Helloooo :smile:

So background to this:
During my GCSE period, I underachieved soooo bad. I was hanging around the wrong crowd, and was really set back by my ex 'friends', those people who thought they were hilarious getting detentions all the time, talking back to teachers etc, I was one of those people....

I gave 0 sh*ts about my exams, 0 revision, even came to one hungover and thus resulting me in only receiving BBCCCCDDDE last year which is terrible, after this, I had an epiphany about my life and future but it was still enough to just about get into sixth form and I was sooo thankful, told myself to get a grip, abandoned all those 'friends' who brought me down therefore I really started to pick up the pace, in a result of this i'm now predicted A*A*A by the end of next year for my A-Levels.

I've decided to not apply to any universities this year and to proceed to take a gap year to extend my experiences for English Literature by volunteering at schools and aboard. I have such a passion for Literature, I could go on and on about it and I would love to study at Oxford, but my GCSEs are really making me feel low.

So will Oxford even bother considering me with my horrible GCSE results, me not receiving any A grades let alone any A*s?
Despite me possibly even receiving A*A*A* by the end of next year, having an impressive personal statement, and showing my colossal spike in progress?
Thank you :smile: Emily x

Ps, I go to a state school :smile:

Oxford don't just base their decision on GCSEs alone. As you will be applying post A levels you will have already proved yourself capable of reaching the required grades. You will also need to do well in the ELAT,

You could go to the open days and speak to admissions at Oxford colleges to get a more reliable opinion of you chances.

It is also only one of five choices on UCAS so you may as well go for it.
Original post by sarahpr
Oxford don't just base their decision on GCSEs alone. As you will be applying post A levels you will have already proved yourself capable of reaching the required grades. You will also need to do well in the ELAT,

You could go to the open days and speak to admissions at Oxford colleges to get a more reliable opinion of you chances.

It is also only one of five choices on UCAS so you may as well go for it.

Thank you so much! :smile:
Couldn't you take a gap year out and resit your GCSEs next year while doing some extra curricular work?

If you get A*s at A level then surely you have the capacity to get several A*/As at GCSE. But with GCSEs being phased out and this new criteria being implemented; I don't know. I'm in a similar situation, although my GCSEs (5 from A-C, I had more but couldn't get them in time for the deadline) aren't as bad and I have four A levels and a Level 3 BTEC I still applied for Oxford this year.
Original post by Hirsty97
Couldn't you take a gap year out and resit your GCSEs next year while doing some extra curricular work?

If you get A*s at A level then surely you have the capacity to get several A*/As at GCSE. But with GCSEs being phased out and this new criteria being implemented; I don't know. I'm in a similar situation, although my GCSEs (5 from A-C, I had more but couldn't get them in time for the deadline) aren't as bad and I have four A levels and a Level 3 BTEC I still applied for Oxford this year.

Don't oxford really look down on resits? Guess it's better than my actual grades haha, but I haven't actually considered that, but actually as I've have finished my a levels, it'll actually be quite perfect to keep myself in the academic mindset whilst I'm volunteering and doing work experience! Thank you and wow good luck! What are you applying for?
Don't oxford really look down on resits? Guess it's better than my actual grades haha, but I haven't actually considered that, but actually as I've have finished my a levels, it'll actually be quite perfect to keep myself in the academic mindset whilst I'm volunteering and doing work experience! Thank you and wow good luck! What are you applying for?

PPE which is really competitive!

I don't think Oxford care too much about resits like some universities I've heard (I.e LSE) but if you haven't applied yet you've missed the deadline. I only applied on Tuesday as I wasn't even intending on applying for Oxford but my college convinced me to apply so I had to rush my UCAS application in two days. Now I'm told I have a TSA examination in which I have less than three weeks to prepare for 🤔🔫
PPE which is really competitive!

I don't think Oxford care too much about resits like some universities I've heard (I.e LSE) but if you haven't applied yet you've missed the deadline. I only applied on Tuesday as I wasn't even intending on applying for Oxford but my college convinced me to apply so I had to rush my UCAS application in two days. Now I'm told I have a TSA examination in which I have less than three weeks to prepare for 🤔🔫

Oh wow! Seriously best of luck to you, I'm glad your college convinced and believed in you!

My sixth form is very pessimistic about Oxford as are everyone I've spoken to, friends etc. Hence why I didn't apply this year, I'm still going to apply to my other choices like Southampton, Warwick, but I'm waiting till post results. I see why everyone is doubting me because it's such a far fetched aspiration with my below average GCSE grades but I think I can do it :smile:!

Malala is doing PPE at oxford! 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
quality of revision over quantity, find a revision technique that'll help ya if you haven't already. I can't speak for bio or chem but for history, despite the main focus is knowing everything (every god damn thing...) when taking notes, don't take notes on EVERYTHING from the textbook, only take notes on things you know will help you answer a possible exam question, make it short and snippy so you can remember it and you can elaborate on it yourself... or add on to what you've written gradually, so mind maps help!

right ok thanks
Yeah i've read up that Cambridge is more lenient on GCSE grades, it's just Oxford is a little closer to home :smile: I'm a little home body x)

Indeed. Ibz Mo (a youtuber who studies at Cambridge) got similar GCSE grades but achieved A*A*A in his A-levels.
i'm sorry but your chances of getting into Oxford are basically zero. applying there would just be a waste of one of your 5 options, i think you should consider other universities who don't focus so heavily on gcse grades. Everyone applying to oxford will also be predicted A*A*A (if not more since they tend to do more than 3 alevels), as well as atleast 6A*s therefore there would be nothing on your application to make you stand out and hence result in you getting rejected. it's a shame that you became friends with the wrong crowd otherwise you could have made a decent/competitive oxford applicant.

hasn't the oxford application deadline already passed?? oxford doesn't do clearing or adjustments...
Original post by PurpleDelight
Indeed. Ibz Mo (a youtuber who studies at Cambridge) got similar GCSE grades but achieved A*A*A in his A-levels.

he had really extenuating circumstances and was also a tutor... that's what got him onto the course :smile:
Original post by wrldprincezsz
he had really extenuating circumstances and was also a tutor... that's what got him onto the course :smile:

True true forgot that for a second
Original post by wrldprincezsz
i'm sorry but your chances of getting into Oxford are basically zero. applying there would just be a waste of one of your 5 options, i think you should consider other universities who don't focus so heavily on gcse grades. Everyone applying to oxford will also be predicted A*A*A (if not more since they tend to do more than 3 alevels), as well as atleast 6A*s therefore there would be nothing on your application to make you stand out and hence result in you getting rejected. it's a shame that you became friends with the wrong crowd otherwise you could have made a decent/competitive oxford applicant.

hasn't the oxford application deadline already passed?? oxford doesn't do clearing or adjustments...

She could at least get an interview
She could at least get an interview

you really think so? if she was predicted higher or had impressive super-curriculars & a killer personal statement then maybe. if she went to a low achieving state school then she would definitely get an interview with those ^ i think it's good to be realistic, it saves time and energy
Ignore, all the other people, this is the honest answer: You will get rejected from Oxford, I'm sorry you just will as they weight GCSEs too strongly. If you get A*A*A-A*A*A* take a gap year and apply to Cambridge you have a small chance, but the rest of your application would have to be very strong.
Original post by geidiprimes

Yeah I know :/
No harm in trying I guess and as someone said, I may get an interview, may not, I get 5 options anyway, I don't think it's a waste, won't know unless I try hah..

I stated that I'm taking a gap year and i'm applying post a levels which may increase my chances if I get solid A*A*A* next year, as it'll be definite as opposed to someone's predicted...
:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Ignore, all the other people, this is the honest answer: You will get rejected from Oxford, I'm sorry you just will as they weight GCSEs too strongly. If you get A*A*A-A*A*A* take a gap year and apply to Cambridge you have a small chance, but the rest of your application would have to be very strong.

Thank you, yeah gotta be realistic I guess..
Original post by DYoverDX
I've just started AS and I think i might fail. How did you get those predicted grades?

Unrelated but in year 12 first couple of econ essays I got Us and Es. I was so **** that my school wanted me to drop economics. I'm now in Year 13 with an A* prediction and an offer for straight economics at Bristol a world class uni. Basically life is what you make it if you work for it.
Defo Cambridge, I've had some correspondence with them and they barely look at your GCSES, it's your level 3 grades + PS :smile:.

Mind you I'm a mature student, and my deadline for their mature student colleges isn't until March lol, so they might have different criteria for normal applicants.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mature student
Defo Cambridge, I've had some correspondence with them and they barely look at your GCSES, it's your level 3 grades + PS :smile:.

Mind you I'm a mature student, and my deadline for their mature student colleges isn't until March lol, so they might have different criteria for normal applicants.

Thank you!
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Unrelated but in year 12 first couple of econ essays I got Us and Es. I was so **** that my school wanted me to drop economics. I'm now in Year 13 with an A* prediction and an offer for straight economics at Bristol a world class uni. Basically life is what you make it if you work for it.

I don't think anyone actually does well in the first few months if not the whole first half of year 12, well I speak for state schools anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending