The Student Room Group

Maths Personal statement

I’m applying to many joint honour maths courses like maths with finance or maths with actuarial science.

But my personal statement is just based on maths and not on the joint honour subjects. Is that ok? Will I still be considered
Original post by s.shafiq
I’m applying to many joint honour maths courses like maths with finance or maths with actuarial science.

But my personal statement is just based on maths and not on the joint honour subjects. Is that ok? Will I still be considered

It's not ideal. It depends how competitive the universities you're applying to are - it would certainly harm your chances for top unis like Warwick or LSE, as they really want to see your passion for the particular course you're applying to, and have enough applicants that they can pick people who seem the most interested in the course.

Both departments will look at your PS, so the finance/actuarial science departments can veto you getting an offer, even if the maths department likes you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Then how do I cater my personal statement for the different maths courses. I’m looking to apply to Queen Mary

Original post by LeapingLucy
It's not ideal. It depends how competitive the universities you're applying to are - it would certainly harm your chances for top unis like Warwick or LSE, as they really want to see your passion for the particular course you're applying to, and have enough applicants that they can pick people who seem the most interested in the course.

Both departments will look at your PS, so the finance/actuarial science departments can veto you getting an offer, even if the maths department likes you.
Original post by s.shafiq
Then how do I cater my personal statement for the different maths courses. I’m looking to apply to Queen Mary

It sounds like they're all finance related so just have a paragraph explaining and demonstrating your interest in finance.

If you find it difficult to write that, then perhaps you're just not interested enough in finance and you'd be better off just doing straight maths.

Quick Reply

Latest