The Student Room Group

Killer drivers to receive life sentences in law change

Drivers who kill someone in the most serious cases of dangerous and careless driving will now face life sentences.

Causing death by dangerous driving, or death by careless driving while drunk or on drugs, will carry the top-level punishment.

Jail terms in cases involving mobile phones, speeding or street racing will now be the equivalent of manslaughter, the Ministry of Justice said.

Road safety charity Brake said it was a "major victory" for victims' families. The move follows criticism that sentences for those convicted over road deaths were too lenient.

Barrister Matthew Scott told BBC Radio 5 live the change would not increase road safety.

Announcing the change, justice minister Dominic Raab said: "Based on the seriousness of the worst cases, the anguish of the victims' families, and maximum penalties for other serious offences such as manslaughter, we intend to introduce life sentences of imprisonment for those who wreck lives by driving dangerously, drunk or high on drugs."

A new offence of causing serious injury through careless driving is also to be created.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41627240

What are your thoughts on this? I certainly feel that the sentencing for killing someone whilst driving poorly was far too lenient, so I'm happy that such a crime is to be punished more adequately (in my eyes) from now on.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good
I'm very happy about it, but of course it won't happen. We are rubbish at sentencing people. Murdered your partner with an axe? 8 years, out in less if you're good. They'll also have to find the space in prisons to keep all these people for longer periods of time, hence why they'll be out earlier as they can't keep them there.
About time! They only get like a year or two when it's practically murder. They know the risks yet they choose to take them and then take someone's life. It's like going around swinging a knife and killing someone; drinking, being on drugs or on your phone whilst driving is a similar concept in my eyes.
Yes, having a criminal record for such a serious conviction and the stress of knowing you've killed someone is a punishment in itself, but the current sentences are definitely too lenient.

Original post by MrDystopia
Drivers who kill someone in the most serious cases of dangerous and careless driving will now face life sentences.

Causing death by dangerous driving, or death by careless driving while drunk or on drugs, will carry the top-level punishment.

Jail terms in cases involving mobile phones, speeding or street racing will now be the equivalent of manslaughter, the Ministry of Justice said.

Road safety charity Brake said it was a "major victory" for victims' families. The move follows criticism that sentences for those convicted over road deaths were too lenient.

Barrister Matthew Scott told BBC Radio 5 live the change would not increase road safety.

Announcing the change, justice minister Dominic Raab said: "Based on the seriousness of the worst cases, the anguish of the victims' families, and maximum penalties for other serious offences such as manslaughter, we intend to introduce life sentences of imprisonment for those who wreck lives by driving dangerously, drunk or high on drugs."

A new offence of causing serious injury through careless driving is also to be created.

What are your thoughts on this? I certainly feel that the sentencing for killing someone whilst driving poorly was far too lenient, so I'm happy that such a crime is to be punished more adequately (in my eyes) from now on.
Inb4 "due to circumstances with the person in questions future career we will not be putting charges forward".
Reply 5
Original post by hannxm
About time! They only get like a year or two when it's practically murder. .

Except with murder, you are intentionally trying to kill someone.

Most of the time it would be involuntary mansluaghter/gross neglegence mansluaghter.
(edited 6 years ago)
It seems harsh that killing someone by accident should carry the same punishment as a calculated and planned murder. This change all but encourages people who knock someone down to flee the scene. Bad law.
Original post by Snufkin
It seems harsh that killing someone by accident should carry the same punishment as a calculated and planned murder. This change all but encourages people who knock someone down to flee the scene. Bad law.

Surely getting into a car whilst drunk and driving and then causing death is knowingly reckless? It may not be deliberate murder, but it's certainly an extreme act of manslaughter. Too many people on the roads think they can effectively get away with acts that may cause death and the law currently is on their side.

In any event, the prisons are full to bursting, so even life now for many offences means maybe 6 or 7 years.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Surely getting into a car whilst drunk and driving and then causing death is knowingly reckless? It may not be deliberate murder, but it's certainly an extreme act of manslaughter. Too many people on the roads think they can effectively get away with acts that may cause death and the law currently is on their side.

In any event, the prisons are full to bursting, so even life now for many offences means maybe 6 or 7 years.

Perhaps, but that's still not intent. These people are cretins and they should be punished - but a life sentence doesn't save anyone, it just ruins another life. What's the max punishment for corporate manslaughter? I would argue that is just as bad as causing death by dangerous driving, if not worse.
Original post by Snufkin

It is needed because there are inadequate sentencing options for repeat very bad drivers.

I am more concerned abut causing serious injury by careless driving.

Careless driving is the mistake anyone can make. If it happens to cause death, the driving isn't any worse. Causing death by careless driving is an offence that probably shouldn't exist but represents an acknowledgement by society that a life has been lost. To extend this to causing serious injury (which in many cases isn't very serious at all) for a moment's inattention, goes against principle that sentencing should be proportionate to fault.
Original post by Snufkin
What's the max punishment for corporate manslaughter?

An unlimited fine.
I think this is more to do with the recent increase in the use of cars during terror attacks, than people drink driving.
Original post by MrDystopia

Watch hit and run be a thing now. It's not like there's cameras in every neighbourhood, nor do people have the time to remember the number plate of a driver if the offender goes full throttle... I think this makes things worse, as the offenders who cares about there lives will not knowingly let themselves be jailed for there whole lives....
Original post by SCIENCE :D
I think this is more to do with the recent increase in the use of cars during terror attacks, than people drink driving.

Assault by car is charged in the same way as assault by gun or knife; murder, attempted murder, GBH with intent.
Original post by Snufkin
Perhaps, but that's still not intent. These people are cretins and they should be punished - but a life sentence doesn't save anyone, it just ruins another life. What's the max punishment for corporate manslaughter? I would argue that is just as bad as causing death by dangerous driving, if not worse.

It's definitely true that there's a lack of logic in many of the sentencing guidelines and there's also most definitely a lack of proper law about the role of corporate executives in conduct that causes death and injury. It always seems that the one group who are pretty much above the law are directors and chief officers of big companies and organisations and also that the corporations they run seem to be free to behave like psychopaths.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Watch hit and run be a thing now. It's not like there's cameras in every neighbourhood, nor do people have the time to remember the number plate of a driver if the offender goes full throttle... I think this makes things worse, as the offenders who cares about there lives will not knowingly let themselves be jailed for there whole lives....

A life sentence is not imprisonment for someone's whole life.

The current maximum sentence for causing death by dangerous driving is 14 years. However any offence that will get anywhere near the maximum is likely to result in a guilty plea. That knocks a third off the sentence, so in reality it is 9 1/3 years. Half that will be spent behind bars so that is 4 years 8 months.

Do you really think that is an adequate sentence for a second very serious driving offence?
Original post by stoyfan
Except with murder, you are intentionally trying to kill someone.

Most of the time it would be involuntary mansluaghter/gross neglegence mansluaghter.

It can come under third degree murder. It depends on the country but some do consider killing someone through driving negligently is considered murder. Accidental murder can be considered murder, but we often call it manslaughter.

"Under state of mind (iii), an "abandoned and malignant heart", the killing must result from the defendant's conduct involving a reckless indifference to human life and a conscious disregard of an unreasonable risk of death or serious bodily injury. An example of this is a 2007 law in California where an individual could be convicted of third-degree murder if he or she kills another person while driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or controlled substances." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder
Original post by nulli tertius
A life sentence is not imprisonment for someone's whole life.

The current maximum sentence for causing death by dangerous driving is 14 years. However any offence that will get anywhere near the maximum is likely to result in a guilty plea. That knocks a third off the sentence, so in reality it is 9 1/3 years. Half that will be spent behind bars so that is 4 years 8 months.

Do you really think that is an adequate sentence for a second very serious driving offence?

Rah, then i'll take that as my misunderstanding.

If we are taking about Alcohol and Drugs, then i feel it should be increased by a bit more. As for normal manslaughter; i feel 5 years max is already enough, as people don't normally drive with the intent to kill.
i wish they would beef up the punishment for uninsured drivers... about 10% of the people on our great roads are uninsured.
Reply 19
I don't like it. Life sentences should be for people beyond rehabilitation or very serious cases (terrorist attack, serial killer). You shouldn't spend your life in jail because you killed a person while driving drunk. There is no intention or premeditation and the culprit was not reasoning and acting with complete consciousness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending