The Student Room Group

About maintenance loan

Hello everyone!

I'm an EU second-year full-time undergraduate student, currently employed on a 0 hrs contract. Another one, in fact, and I have to say that I am so sick of this kind f treatment. At times it's worse than 'trash' contracts from my origin country and that's saying something. The uncertainty of not knowing if I am getting enough hours done this week - if there are going to be any hours for me at all, especially with all the politics going on in my workplace - takes the front of my mind when I should and would like to focus on my studies instead.

As of this moment, I have been waiting for the last two weeks, once again at that, for at least a mention of any hours for me and my savings are thinner and thinner. I did not come to the UK to worry about finances that much but what can I do when manager's best friend gets all of the hours that were previously mine? I could find a new job, I'm already looking for one but it will take both time and a lot of stress to go through - and who knows what kind of environment will I get?

I apologise for the vent but it's rather frustrating.

I didn't want to take any more debts, honestly, but I'm feeling compelled to apply for one. What are your experiences with student maintenance loans? What I'm most interested in is the repayment: does it go to one 'poll' with the tuition loan as 'more tuition loan' or is it another loan that will end with not 9% but 18% repayment per month? If I apply now, when will I get the first instalment(I suspect January)? I ask here because I didn't find full answers.

I've counted that with my current rent I will be able to survive on the minimum threshold of 685 pounds per month due to high transport, food, study materials and rent costs in London. I would not count two summer months with the hope that I'll be able to get some full-time job but it seems rather naive. So, 8220 per year? Plus 6%, then additionally almost 500 per period... Well, that doesn't look good if I count my tuition loans as well.

I'll be grateful for any advice in this situation.
Original post by likan
Hello everyone!

I'm an EU second-year full-time undergraduate student, currently employed on a 0 hrs contract. Another one, in fact, and I have to say that I am so sick of this kind f treatment. At times it's worse than 'trash' contracts from my origin country and that's saying something. The uncertainty of not knowing if I am getting enough hours done this week - if there are going to be any hours for me at all, especially with all the politics going on in my workplace - takes the front of my mind when I should and would like to focus on my studies instead.

As of this moment, I have been waiting for the last two weeks, once again at that, for at least a mention of any hours for me and my savings are thinner and thinner. I did not come to the UK to worry about finances that much but what can I do when manager's best friend gets all of the hours that were previously mine? I could find a new job, I'm already looking for one but it will take both time and a lot of stress to go through - and who knows what kind of environment will I get?

I apologise for the vent but it's rather frustrating.

I didn't want to take any more debts, honestly, but I'm feeling compelled to apply for one. What are your experiences with student maintenance loans? What I'm most interested in is the repayment: does it go to one 'poll' with the tuition loan as 'more tuition loan' or is it another loan that will end with not 9% but 18% repayment per month? If I apply now, when will I get the first instalment(I suspect January)? I ask here because I didn't find full answers.

I've counted that with my current rent I will be able to survive on the minimum threshold of 685 pounds per month due to high transport, food, study materials and rent costs in London. I would not count two summer months with the hope that I'll be able to get some full-time job but it seems rather naive. So, 8220 per year? Plus 6%, then additionally almost 500 per period... Well, that doesn't look good if I count my tuition loans as well.

I'll be grateful for any advice in this situation.

You would have had to have lived in the uk for five years to be eligible for maintenance loans, as for private potentially high interest loans it would be difficult for you to get one without much of a uk credit history.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You would have had to have lived in the uk for five years to be eligible for maintenance loans, as for private potentially high interest loans it would be difficult for you to get one without much of a uk credit history.

What about student maintenance loans? I'm sure I saw forms for EU students on gov's site.
Original post by likan
What about student maintenance loans? I'm sure I saw forms for EU students on gov's site.

For student maintenance loans, you either have to be a migrant worker or living in the UK 5 years prior to starting your course.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
For student maintenance loans, you either have to be a migrant worker or living in the UK 5 years prior to starting your course.

I have started working months prior to the start of my course and continued to do so for more than a year already. From what I read I am eligible for the migrant worker status. The thing I'm asking about here is the maintenance loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending