The Student Room Group

teachers' standards help!!

Hi I started my primary scitt course in September and i'm really enjoying the course, not all the paperwork that comes with it though!

I am require to complete at least one observation of another teacher once a week which is fine but when I observe that person I have to pick 2 standards to focus on - this is where I am struggling with linking what I am seeing to each standard.

Can anyone help me with a few bullet points for each standard for what kind of things I should be looking out for?

Thanks from a stressed trainee
Sure - don't sweat the detail. Just pick broad standards. Assessment is a good one (S6). How is the teacher assessing the class? Are they asking questions of individual pupils at certain points in the lesson? Are they setting some sort of work to be marked? Are they doing hands up? Are they using some other assessment tool or method? In other words - how does the teacher know that learning has taken place?

Behaviour is another good one! (S7) What is the teacher doing to control behaviour? Are they using positive praise or using a behaviour policy. Do they use a 3-2-1 to get quiet or do they use proximal praise where you pick on students who have followed your instruction and single them out as good examples. Does the teacher use non-verbal ques to warn students or praise them?

(S1) How does the teacher make for a safe learning environment? Do students feel safe to work without fear or ridicule? How does the teacher set expectations of what they want from the class?

etc etc. It is only October. You will get the hang of the standards eventually.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Sure - don't sweat the detail. Just pick broad standards. Assessment is a good one (S6). How is the teacher assessing the class? Are they asking questions of individual pupils at certain points in the lesson? Are they setting some sort of work to be marked? Are they doing hands up? Are they using some other assessment tool or method? In other words - how does the teacher know that learning has taken place?

Behaviour is another good one! (S7) What is the teacher doing to control behaviour? Are they using positive praise or using a behaviour policy. Do they use a 3-2-1 to get quiet or do they use proximal praise where you pick on students who have followed your instruction and single them out as good examples. Does the teacher use non-verbal ques to warn students or praise them?

(S1) How does the teacher make for a safe learning environment? Do students feel safe to work without fear or ridicule? How does the teacher set expectations of what they want from the class?

etc etc. It is only October. You will get the hang of the standards eventually.

Good luck!

Thank you! This has made things a lot clearer already, very much appreciated!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending