The Student Room Group

Pythagoras question help please

When there is a question on a right angled triangle, will the question somehow involve pythagoras and not trigonometry?
Does trigonometry still apply for right angled triangles?
Thanks for answering and improving my understanding of maths!
Reply 1
you can stiil use trigonometry for a right angled triangle for working out the area, the only thing that pythagoras can really be used for is working out the sides. Yes trig still applies for right angled triangles.

(not 10000% sure this is fully right but im sure trig still applies for right angled triangles) hope this helps
Original post by Sammyboy1234
When there is a question on a right angled triangle, will the question somehow involve Pythagoras and not trigonometry?
Does trigonometry still apply for right angled triangles?
Thanks for answering and improving my understanding of maths!

A maths question that involves a right-angled triangle can be about either Pythagoras' Theorem OR trigonometry... If the question asks for the length of a side (and not necessarily the hypotenuse/C/the longest side, facing opposite the 90 degree angle) and there are no angles mentioned or labelled, it is a PYTHAGORAS question. However, if it does ask to find the length of a side, but there are also ANGLES mentioned in the question or labelled on the triangle, it is a TRIG question. (As you are using the angle info given to you, plus the correct formula, to find the certain length). And obviously, if it asks you to find an angle size, it is a trig question. (Pythagoras NEVER involves finding angles, only sides). Hope this helped :smile: If it did and you still need help with Pythagoras' Theorem or trigonometry, feel free to message me or ask a question any time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest