The Student Room Group

Grammar school experience so far

Don't let the term 'grammar school' fool you. The students can be just the same as the ones you get in ye olde comprehensive. I've just moved to the grammar school 2 weeks ago. Teaching is good, students are NOT. No chavs, just typical mean girls always saying the phrase 'did you actually' to start a sentence. I DID NOT expect this.
Original post by Sidra.I
Don't let the term 'grammar school' fool you. The students can be just the same as the ones you get in ye olde comprehensive. I've just moved to the grammar school 2 weeks ago. Teaching is good, students are NOT. No chavs, just typical mean girls always saying the phrase 'did you actually' to start a sentence. I DID NOT expect this.

Unfortunately, in general no matter what area you are from or what type of school you are at, the level of behaviour will be the same. i.e. their level of intelligence will not determine how they act as they all have the same access to the internet and tv etc. hence the same archetypal behaviours.
Reply 2
I recently started a Grammar School a few weeks ago also (Year 12) and I was surprised at the formality of Grammar Schools.

For example, we have a "Speech Day" which involves leaving school at midday, only to return at 7:15 in the evening and to conduct a church service for 2 hours... it seems pointless.

Also, small changes such as standing up when a member of the Senior Leadership Team enter the assembly hall also caught me off guard; it seems irrelevant.

The students however believe that they are "better" than comprehensive school students and frequently look down upon the idea of originating from a comprehensive school.

I honestly feel bad for Year 7 to Year 11 students at single-sex Grammar Schools, as they lack the social interaction of mixing with the opposite gender in a learning environment and it seems absurd that this 'gender segregation' still occurs in the 21st Century with no scrutiny from the Government or the general population; if it was a religious school that segregated the genders, there would be a whole news report on it.

I'm enjoying it, but I don't appreciate the attitude of some students and the whole purpose of me going to a Grammar was for it to "enhance" my future prospects somehow.
I'm about to finish my 7 years at a girls' grammar school, and yes, people are horrible, you just get fewer of them than at a comprehensive, as most of the time you'll find people are more willing to do work. There are some 'stupid' rules, but they seem to be at boys' grammar schools more than girls' as they're older and have more traditions, whereas a lot of girls' are only 100 or so years old. As for mixing, I think going to an all girls' school has benefited me, but I also do a lot of things out of school where I interact with boys as well.
Reply 4
I moved to a grammar school to do my A levels after 5 years of being at a college for GCSEs.
The teaching is good, maybe a little better. You're left to do independent work a lot more than previously but that could just be because its Alevels and not GCSEs anymore.
The students, however, are a lot less friendly. Some not only think themselves better than college students but most are a lot more mean towards eachother and less willing to include others in anything.
I goto a grammar school, its not that bad, yeah teaching is good, however there is a quite a fair amount of roadmen. Pretty disruptive but their funny when you get to know them, otherwise its all good lol
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Did you actually not expect that?

Did everyone actually not see what you did there?
Original post by Sidra.I

My twin went to a top grammar schools in the countr the teaching is not that much better and there is very little support they seem to think you are smart enough to be in this schools so you should be getting all A's.The girls are quite crazy and loud not what she expected.She is quite disappinted as she expected most people to be similar to her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending