The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, they pay taxes like everyone else, so should be entitled to the full benefits of a tax-funded public service.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Yes, they pay taxes like everyone else, so should be entitled to the full benefits of a tax-funded public service.

This.

That's like saying should people who smoke and have lung cancer be treated or not? Of course they should... This man uses tobacco, and he has cancer... lets leave him to die! No.
Original post by cc85734
This.

That's like saying should people who smoke and have lung cancer be treated or not? Of course they should... This man uses tobacco, and he has cancer... lets leave him to die! No.

and that's where the discussion of why should someone fix you up because you inflicted the problems upon yourself
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone, I am in sixth form and completing an EPQ (extended project qualification) and wanted to know your views/ opinions on this.
Any opinions are welcome, thanks very much for your time,

Yes they should! They are people like the rest of us and making them pay because they are obese would be discrimination.
Good luck:smile:
Original post by will'o'wisp2
and that's where the discussion of why should someone fix you up because you inflicted the problems upon yourself

But it's not 'someone else' (i.e. A third party) fixing you up; it's a Public Health Service that you pay for through your taxes. If obese people aren't allowed to be treated on the NHS, then they shouldn't have to pay for it.
But it's not 'someone else' (i.e. A third party) fixing you up; it's a Public Health Service that you pay for through your taxes. If obese people aren't allowed to be treated on the NHS, then they shouldn't have to pay for it.

This again

lol i don't know much about legal law stuff and how things work

but i still stand by the point of why should(now corrected by you) the public health service fix you up for you hurting yourself?

Is that what this service is for? Fixing people who gives themselves these kinds of illnesses?
Reply 8
lol i don't know much about legal law stuff and how things work

but i still stand by the point of why should(now corrected by you) the public health service fix you up for you hurting yourself?

Is that what this service is for? Fixing people who gives themselves these kinds of illnesses?

Well yes. I mean, if you pay taxes, then you definetly should allowed access to treatments via the NHS.

If you, a tax payer, break a leg (due to your own carelessness), should you be treated by the NHS? Well yes, and it shouldn't be at all different with those who are obese.
Reply 9
Thanks everyone, I've done a survery on survery monkey too, if anyone can answer it, it would be so helpful

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XXSGQSQ
Original post by stoyfan
Well yes. I mean, if you pay taxes, then you definetly should allowed access to treatments via the NHS.

If you, a tax payer, break a leg (due to your own carelessness), should you be treated by the NHS? Well yes, and it shouldn't be at all different with those who are obese.

oh well im sorry it's my fault , i wasn't specific enough, i should've stated intentionally as well.
oh well im sorry it's my fault , i wasn't specific enough, i should've stated intentionally as well.

I am rather sure that there is no one that intentionally wants to become fat.
I'm surprised your college OK'd this as an epq 😂

Seems a bit inflammatory 😂

But what if they don't listen to doctors, e.g. if they don't take their medication on time...
Original post by stoyfan
I am rather sure that there is no one that intentionally wants to become fat.

then if they "can't stop eating" that's still their fault, didn't quite know how to phrase that i guess i meant intention? or something like that.
If you look at the vast majority of patients in an adult acute hospital, there's a lifestyle component to their illnesses in one way or another.

However, care is already rationed in one way or another to people with obesity, a number of procedures are off limits unless they lose some weight. The case is similar with people who smoke or drink excessively.
Yes as said above tax payers like everyone else. Prevention better than cure though. The majority in the UK are overweight.
Original post by Anonymous
But what if they don't listen to doctors, e.g. if they don't take their medication on time...

I don't follow your argument - what point are you making?

It's not just obese people who might sometimes not follow a doctor's advice fully or not take medication they've been prescribed. That's something anyone could do.

Whether people should be allowed to continue to use the NHS when they don't follow their treatment plan is a completely separate argument to your original question of obesity.

If you're doing an EPQ on this then you need to learn how to stay on topic and only make good, relevant points, or you won't score very highly.
I don't follow your argument - what point are you making?

It's not just obese people who might sometimes not follow a doctor's advice fully or not take medication they've been prescribed. That's something anyone could do.

Whether people should be allowed to continue to use the NHS when they don't follow their treatment plan is a completely separate argument to your original question of obesity.

If you're doing an EPQ on this then you need to learn how to stay on topic and only make good, relevant points, or you won't score very highly.

But that is a sub-topic I'm including in my EPQ and I can't write a 5000 word essay on if obese people in general should be allowed free treatment by the NHS, I'm adding a mini heading on complaint and non-complaint patients and in the conclusion i'm going to say that complaint/ people who haven't chosen this lifestyle should be allowed treatment and vice versa.
Do you get me?

What if they don't pay taxes and live of benefits all their lives?

Latest

Trending

Trending