The Student Room Group

College is HARD

I started college a month ago and I knew it was going to be hard but I didnt think it would be this hard. There’s a lot of work but I can handle that (with a few tears on the way) but the work itself is tough. I don’t feel like I’ve been given enough guidance on how to do it so I’m not confident with it at all. I know the teachers at college can’t constantly reassure you but a little bit at the beginning would have been nice. Someone tell me it gets easier to deal with because right now it’s all a bit too much.
Original post by lauragunbie
I started college a month ago and I knew it was going to be hard but I didnt think it would be this hard. There’s a lot of work but I can handle that (with a few tears on the way) but the work itself is tough. I don’t feel like I’ve been given enough guidance on how to do it so I’m not confident with it at all. I know the teachers at college can’t constantly reassure you but a little bit at the beginning would have been nice. Someone tell me it gets easier to deal with because right now it’s all a bit too much.

We are all in this together.
Reply 2
It depends on what subjects you Do, constantly see people still bricking it over a test in year 13

The answer to your question as to whether it gets easier is yes and no.

Yes it does get easier in the sense that you slowly pick up and learn what is expected of you and also you acquire the skills and abilities needed to succeed at college through learning and practicing.

However, the answer is also, no, it doesn't get easier as your course(s) will become progressively more difficult and more will be expected of you.
I get you because when I started year 12, the teachers never really engraved it into our heads how important your as and a levels are. We realised when majority of us failed AS and had difficulty of getting uni places.

It does get difficult as you progress, but if the courses you have chosen are courses you like and enjoy, they it shouldn't be too hard to enjoy those subjects. But some subjects just cuck you tbh.

Make sure you do have peers who can assist you and relate to you in terms of going through the college stress. That is what helped me aha. Also, keep your eyes on the prize. The reason you are doing these subjects is because you want to do well for your chosen career.
Reply 5
Original post by Kalikuku
I get you because when I started year 12, the teachers never really engraved it into our heads how important your as and a levels are. We realised when majority of us failed AS and had difficulty of getting uni places.

It does get difficult as you progress, but if the courses you have chosen are courses you like and enjoy, they it shouldn't be too hard to enjoy those subjects. But some subjects just cuck you tbh.

Make sure you do have peers who can assist you and relate to you in terms of going through the college stress. That is what helped me aha. Also, keep your eyes on the prize. The reason you are doing these subjects is because you want to do well for your chosen career.

that’s really helpful thanks :smile: just seems like I’m the only one that’s struggling so it’s tough
Reply 6
Original post by M4cc4n4
It depends on what subjects you Do, constantly see people still bricking it over a test in year 13

hahaha okay looks like I’ve got a lot to look forward to :smile:)
Reply 7
hahaha okay looks like I’ve got a lot to look forward to :smile:)

But um as long as you dont so Sociology your fine or business studies I hear

Yeah, I completely get you :smile: I feel the exact same way... I don't know what subjects you're doing, (I'm going Drama, French, Criminology and Applied Science, what about you?) I really enjoy the subjects I'm taking but it's a lot of work and the thing that I'm finding REALLY hard about college, is MAKING FRIENDS... I miss my old friends and I've just got too many ACQUAINTANCES, if that makes sense. Has anyone got any tips about that or anyone feeling the struggles I am???

This is exactly why I'm scared to leave high school
that’s really helpful thanks :smile: just seems like I’m the only one that’s struggling so it’s tough

TRUST ME when i say you aint the only one. Everyone in your class is the same boat (except those clever people who you think how tf are you doing what you are doing) aha
The transition from GCSE to A-Levels is massive, and you will have not been taught how to make that transition efficient. The first few weeks/month will be difficult, however, you will soon develop a routine and make timetables. Then you will be able to balance the work and have extra time on the side to have a life. Don't worry, it gets easier the longer you wait, and many people (including me) experience the hard transition.
In my opinion, the A-Level to University transition is much more steep compared to the GCSE/A-Level one.
Reply 12
Original post by JadeCrystal1
Yeah, I completely get you :smile: I feel the exact same way... I don't know what subjects you're doing, (I'm going Drama, French, Criminology and Applied Science, what about you?) I really enjoy the subjects I'm taking but it's a lot of work and the thing that I'm finding REALLY hard about college, is MAKING FRIENDS... I miss my old friends and I've just got too many ACQUAINTANCES, if that makes sense. Has anyone got any tips about that or anyone feeling the struggles I am???

I’m doing Geography, History and Photography and I do enjoy them (some more than others) but the work is a lot.
With the friends issue, I know it’s easier said than done but if there are certain acquaintances that you feel like you want to be better friends with, you have to make the effort. But I get that that’s sort of *****y advice so sorry hahah x
Reply 13
Original post by Epitype
The transition from GCSE to A-Levels is massive, and you will have not been taught how to make that transition efficient. The first few weeks/month will be difficult, however, you will soon develop a routine and make timetables. Then you will be able to balance the work and have extra time on the side to have a life. Don't worry, it gets easier the longer you wait, and many people (including me) experience the hard transition.
In my opinion, the A-Level to University transition is much more steep compared to the GCSE/A-Level one.

Thank you for making me feel normal for feeling this way :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by The Wise
This is exactly why I'm scared to leave high school

Don’t be scared, i was too and I know I’m not making it sound that appealing haha but it’s different for everyone and it hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be (I had very low expectations).

Quick Reply

Latest