The Student Room Group

Masters or straight into teaching?

Hi Everyone,

So my question is pretty much what you've already seen in the title of this post. Once I graduate, am I best just going straight into a job (or trying to at least), or should I consider a masters?

I am training to be a secondary maths teacher and I am currently in my second year of a Secondary Maths Education degree with QTS. This means, I won't need to do a PGCE at the end of the degree.

I really do want to do a masters to increase my knowledge and skill etc, but I'm not sure if it's worth it in comparison to hands on experience?

I'e also thought about doing the masters part time. That way I'd be able to get the best of both worlds, but I don't know if I'll be able to handle being an NQT and a masters.

Any advice would be brill.

Original post by TheMathsTeacher
Hi Everyone,

So my question is pretty much what you've already seen in the title of this post. Once I graduate, am I best just going straight into a job (or trying to at least), or should I consider a masters?

I am training to be a secondary maths teacher and I am currently in my second year of a Secondary Maths Education degree with QTS. This means, I won't need to do a PGCE at the end of the degree.

I really do want to do a masters to increase my knowledge and skill etc, but I'm not sure if it's worth it in comparison to hands on experience?

I'e also thought about doing the masters part time. That way I'd be able to get the best of both worlds, but I don't know if I'll be able to handle being an NQT and a masters.

Any advice would be brill.

Have no experience of teaching courses or the teaching sector, however, plenty of people have full time jobs and undertake masters degrees P/T. It is definitely more than manageable if you wanted to go down that route.
Original post by Cubone-r
Have no experience of teaching courses or the teaching sector, however, plenty of people have full time jobs and undertake masters degrees P/T. It is definitely more than manageable if you wanted to go down that route.

Hi Cubone-r,

Yeah, I know a lot of people do it, and I've thought about it too. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to handle the amount of work that will be expected from both of them. My uncle's a teacher too and he told me that the first two years of teaching was more stressful for him than his PhD!

I know, listening to other people's horror stories is not the best way to make any decisions, but that definitely does scare me a bit. :/
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending