The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
But that is a sub-topic I'm including in my EPQ and I can't write a 5000 word essay on if obese people in general should be allowed free treatment by the NHS, I'm adding a mini heading on complaint and non-complaint patients and in the conclusion i'm going to say that complaint/ people who haven't chosen this lifestyle should be allowed treatment and vice versa.
Do you get me?

Your point seems off-topic as there is no generally cited correlation between being obese and not taking prescribed medication.

If you're going to argue that obese people should be denied treatment for not being *compliant* (not complaint), then you're going to have to elaborate on whether the same rules should apply to people who are not obese.
What if they don't pay taxes and live of benefits all their lives?

Everyone pays some taxes - for example, everyone pays VAT.

And it's quite a logical fallacy to assume that obese people don't work and live off benefits. Given the high levels of obesity in our society, and the relatively small number of people who live solely off benefits, it is clear that only a small proportion of obese people are in the category you describe: you cannot therefore base your treatment of all obese people off the actions of a small few.

In addition, many of the people who live off benefits will not be obese, so if you're going to deny obese people on benefits NHS access, then you need to elaborate on whether you would deprive thin people on benefits too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
Your point seems off-topic as there is no generally cited correlation between being obese and not taking prescribed medication.

If you're going to argue that obese people should be denied treatment for not being *compliant* (not complaint), then you're going to have to elaborate on whether the same rules should apply to people who are not obese.

Thanks but the reason why I want to include that sub-heading is because my EPQ will be too simple (as I'm aiming for an A) and i already know some people in my school who are doing that topic so it's a common one, thus I want my EPQ to stand out. Otherwise I would include the subheadings:
Why are people obese? (consider all the factors)
What does obesity cause? (long term/short term effects)
NHS role
Conclusion
Also, I was orginally going to do my EPQ on smoking, alcoholism and obesity but though that It may go over 5000 words.
Sorry for the long response but if you can answer this, it would be very helpful :h:
I assume you mean should they be treated for their obesity. Obviously they have the right to healthcare weather they are fat or not- it's a statutory right.
As far as treatment for being obese goes, I think yes they should get free treatment... to an extent.

A lot of obesity actually comes from other issues like being poor so not being able to afford healthier foods, being ill and not being able to exercise, having an illness that causes extra weight gain etc. It's not just somebody going "lol I wanna be fat" and eating loads.
If they have the smarts to realise that being fat is bad fro them and ask for help then they deserve that help. I'm not talking free lipo for anybody a bit overweight, but things like access to health diet meetings where they can get proper advice on how to loose weight and keep it off, tests to make sure there isn't an underlying issues, check ups to see how they are progressing etc.

Obesity also puts people at risk of more serious health issues.
Those issues are something the NHS would have to pay for, so it's better to treat people when they are starting to become at risk than ignore them and wait until they have a heart attack.

I also believe there should be better access to cheap exercise resources, like cheap or free gyms. I wouldn't expect that to be provided by the NHS, but by local councils as a scheme to encourage a healthier lifestyle. Some people genuinely can't afford to use the gym or other exercise resources and things like running are a) boring as sin and b) not actually a good option for some people.
Swimming is a far more fun and manageable form of exercise and I think it should be more accessible. Also frankly swimming is something I consider a life skill and I think everybody should be able to learn to swim and be comfortable in water.

On top of all that, in cases where obesity is a real risk to a persons health I believe more extreme treatment (like surgery) should be available on the NHS. Their health is at serious risk and they need that treatment. I don't care if it's their fault or not. You wouldn't refuse an ambulance to somebody who overdosed. They may have messed up, but they still have the right to healthcare.
Only when it does reach a serious level though and they should be put on mandatory healthy lifestyle courses so they don't end up putting the weight back on again.

That's my take on the matter. :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Yes as said above tax payers like everyone else. Prevention better than cure though. The majority in the UK are overweight.

Big yes to prevention! We need better awareness of the health issues relating to being fat, how you become fat and how not to become fat. Also need better access to the things that help you not be fat. :smile:
Thanks but the reason why I want to include that sub-heading is because my EPQ will be too simple (as I'm aiming for an A) and i already know some people in my school who are doing that topic so it's a common one, thus I want my EPQ to stand out. Otherwise I would include the subheadings:
Why are people obese? (consider all the factors)
What does obesity cause? (long term/short term effects)
NHS role
Conclusion
Also, I was orginally going to do my EPQ on smoking, alcoholism and obesity but though that It may go over 5000 words.
Sorry for the long response but if you can answer this, it would be very helpful :h:

You would need to look into what not compliant means, why people might be non compliant and if that would affect things etc.
What counts as bringing it on yourself? What about people with mental health problems who stress eat? What about people with special needs who can't understand how bad being obese is for their health? What about people who have a medical condition that makes being fat easier? What about people who just had a single slip? What about poor people who can't afford the healthy foods they need to eat?

Once you've gone through all that you're into a whole new topic.
I think you're trying to take on a lot here and risk covering a lot of things poorly.

Have you considered ditching obesity and looking at a similar concept instead? It will let you stand out more, but avoid all that mess.
Original post by Kindred
You would need to look into what not compliant means, why people might be non compliant and if that would affect things etc.
What counts as bringing it on yourself? What about people with mental health problems who stress eat? What about people with special needs who can't understand how bad being obese is for their health? What about people who have a medical condition that makes being fat easier? What about people who just had a single slip? What about poor people who can't afford the healthy foods they need to eat?

I think you're trying to take on a lot here and risk covering a lot of things poorly.

Have you considered ditching obesity and looking at a similar concept instead? It will let you stand out more, but avoid all that mess.

Certain medication also causes weight gain. For the last 5 years, I've either been on things that either causes weight loss or weight gain or constant hunger.
But that is a sub-topic I'm including in my EPQ and I can't write a 5000 word essay on if obese people in general should be allowed free treatment by the NHS, I'm adding a mini heading on complaint and non-complaint patients and in the conclusion i'm going to say that complaint/ people who haven't chosen this lifestyle should be allowed treatment and vice versa.
Do you get me?

It is 'compliant' and non=compliant. And there are reasons why some are non-compliant before you make your own judgement about compliant service users being given access to treatment.
Yeah, if they are a tax payer. If they don't, scrounge of benefits when they can work, get no exercise, laze around the house and got obese - then nah. Some people are obese due to medical conditions. People who can't control their diet shouldn't in my opinion. They should make the change themselves. Please don't hate on me - I'm just expressing my opinion. :smile:
Original post by President Hawk
Yeah, if they are a tax payer. If they don't, scrounge of benefits when they can work, get no exercise, laze around the house and got obese - then nah. Some people are obese due to medical conditions. People who can't control their diet shouldn't in my opinion. They should make the change themselves. Please don't hate on me - I'm just expressing my opinion. :smile:

The person on benefits is still paying taxes though. And it's highly likely they have a serious medical issue which means they can't work.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The person on benefits is still paying taxes though. And it's highly likely they have a serious medical issue which means they can't work.

Obesity is often caused by these people lazing about and not working. They get into a rhythm of being lazy and in turn get fat. They then claim disability because their overweight. The get a free car which others dream of and then they flaunt it all like they worked for it. Some people make me sick. My next door neighbor is what I'm setting this rant on. She's the embodiment of this problem. She was fine and stopped working. (She told us she quit her job as she was bored. She then never got a job and had no medical conditions - my mum talked to her often. She the started to get fat having take-aways most nights. She then claimed disability and got a brand-new Vauxhall Zafira (67 Plate) for free from Mobility cos she's "disabled" and then brags to us about it. She even told my mam to do the same!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: The utter ****ing cheek! How dare she tell my mam to do the same money stealing tactics!!! :angry:

My opinion is based on these "goons". Sorry if I offended anyone.
Obesity is often caused by these people lazing about and not working. They get into a rhythm of being lazy and in turn get fat. They then claim disability because their overweight. The get a free car which others dream of and then they flaunt it all like they worked for it. Some people make me sick. My next door neighbor is what I'm setting this rant on. She's the embodiment of this problem. She was fine and stopped working. (She told us she quit her job as she was bored. She then never got a job and had no medical conditions - my mum talked to her often. She the started to get fat having take-aways most nights. She then claimed disability and got a brand-new Vauxhall Zafira (67 Plate) for free from Mobility cos she's "disabled" and then brags to us about it. She even told my mam to do the same!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: The utter ****ing cheek! How dare she tell my mam to do the same money stealing tactics!!! :angry:

I'm entitled to a "free car" on the condition I hand up to £58 a week of my benefits over...

It's really not as simple as you make out. You won't get disability benefits just because you're obese.

I don't think that this is a problem about obesity asit is more of an example of another problem, which is benefit fraud.

The fact that you think that most obese person does the same thing that she did is pretty sad. You should have reported her to the DWP.

Benefits like that are hard enough to get if you're legitimately seriously disabled. They don't hand them out to any fat sod that comes along. She's either put a hell of a lot of work into playing the system or isn't telling people about something. Some people will hide their disabilities because they are ashamed or for whatever other reason. She may even want to sound like a system abusing b for some mad reason.
Some people are asses yeah, but honestly it's such a minority that it's not worth being part of the discussion.

It's like saying public parks are a bad idea cos some people like having sex with trees. Or that nobody should be allowed kids cos some people abuse theirs.
There are people in any group who put it to shame and it's really annoying that they do. We shouldn't be judging and possibly even mistreating an entire group because of it though. Then we'd be the asses.

You can hate her all you like (she sounds like a right piece of work), but do it because she's an ass not cos she's fat. And don't let it warp your view of obese people who genuinely can't help it or want to change. :smile:
Original post by stoyfan
I don't think that this is a problem about obesity asit is more of an example of another problem, which is benefit fraud.

The fact that you think that most obese person does the same thing that she did is pretty sad. You should have reported her to the DWP.

Fraud for what?
Original post by Kindred

Hi there, thanks for your answer- very helpful
Also, I've had a long think and decided that I'm going to be doing all 3 lifestyle choices (obesity, smoking and alcohol) and going to ditch the complain/non-complaint bit. Do you think that is better and can i still score high marks :smile:
Do you get me?

But how do you decide who has "chosen" that lifestyle and who hasn't?
Hi there, thanks for your answer- very helpful
Also, I've had a long think and decided that I'm going to be doing all 3 lifestyle choices (obesity, smoking and alcohol) and going to ditch the complain/non-complaint bit. Do you think that is better and can i still score high marks :smile:

That sounds like it could be much better. You can talk about how smoking and alcohol is more of an outright choice (although there is the addiction debate) and compare it to obesity which can have far more varied factors like medication, health issues etc.
You might also want to bring up the right to healthcare and question if it is would be denying a human right to refuse treatment.

You could also question if the government and society have some responsibility to people and if they are doing enough to deter those things or are contributing to the problem.
Is it really my fault I'm fat if I'm being constantly bombarded by temptation in adverts, healthy food is more expensive and there isn't enough access to exercise?

You'll have more than enough to talk about and should be able to cover it all well as long as you plan.
Be sure to do your research too and include some sources.

You could also go into a discussion on class. Poorer people are more likely to be obese so is it really reasonable to expect them to pay for treatment? What if people can't afford treatment or are on benefits? That could get a bit long though so you may not want to go into that.

Good luck :smile:
I think the implied counter-argument is that they essentially shouldn't be treated because they brought it upon themselves, so what about:
-Smokers?
-Drug addicts?
-Alcoholics?
-Type 2 diabetes?
Did you know the government spends £300 million each year on heroin for drug addicts, to help them off their addiction, yet only 1 in 10 successfully does so?
Therefore, this debate is wider than just obese people.

But fundamentally our universal healthcare system means because that person pays tax, they can destroy there body as much as they want and be treated for it.
Er, I don't want to burst your bubble but in actual fact, Type 2 Diabetes is not caused by lifestyle choices and obesity in every instance. I have Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed about 2 years ago. I have had a muscle condition for the last ten years treated by steroids which caused my Diabetes. And I am not obese. I have never smoked or drunk alcohol in my life either and I am nearly 70.

Latest