The Student Room Group

I achieved grade A in the EPQ, ask me questions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrawTheLine
Nature / nurture debate of addiction, specifically drugs and alcohol.

Very interesting. Do you plan on going to university?
Original post by euphonious
Very interesting. Do you plan on going to university?

Yep I've been here for almost a month now studying forensic psychology.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Yep I've been here for almost a month now studying forensic psychology.

That's sweet. Where do you study?
That's sweet. Where do you study?

At a uni up north
Is Wikipedia a good source to use?
Original post by Xilogreen
Is Wikipedia a good source to use?

Meh. It's not exactly reliable is it?

I'd stick with journals, articles written by academics, documentaries, etc.

I'm not sure if it's reliable or not. My topic is about how government policies have affected economic growth in China. The pages I've read seem quite detailed.
Hello,

Dissertation.

I used 32 resources overall.

I didn't get any feedback, but I felt that I rushed my production log towards the end, so this is most likely where I lost marks.

Give yourself plenty of time!

Which one do you think I could get higher marks on (A/A*):
1) Should the NHS treat people, depending on neagive lifestyle choices?
2) Should the NHS treat obese people?

As It's a 5000 word essay, the first one may be too long and the second one may be too short, which one should I choose? :smile:
Original post by GCSE 9
Which one do you think I could get higher marks on (A/A*):
1) Should the NHS treat people, depending on neagive lifestyle choices?
2) Should the NHS treat obese people?

As It's a 5000 word essay, the first one may be too long and the second one may be too short, which one should I choose? :smile:

I would go for 1 as that asks something a bit more specific and shows that you put some thought and time into your initial thesis. I got a grade A in my EPQ with AQA too. And because it is a bit more specific you may find it to be shorter than you expected due to the increased difficulty of finding relevant sources etc.
What was your question?

Was your report just an essay or did you include tables, graphs, etc?
Original post by Killerpenguin15
I would go for 1 as that asks something a bit more specific and shows that you put some thought and time into your initial thesis. I got a grade A in my EPQ with AQA too. And because it is a bit more specific you may find it to be shorter than you expected due to the increased difficulty of finding relevant sources etc.

Wait number 1 is more specific? Also, would you say I talk about alcohol, smoking and obesity or only focus on two as I'm really struggling to structure it:h:
Also what was your question :smile:
Original post by GCSE 9
Wait number 1 is more specific? Also, would you say I talk about alcohol, smoking and obesity or only focus on two as I'm really struggling to structure it :h:

Depends on how you answer the question. Having re-read your initial question number 1 invites a clear structure for your actual essay:

a part on smoking,

a part on obesity,

and a part on alcohol

and their individual effects of each on both the NHS and the public.

The real marks lie in managing to find a mix of reliable sources of data, as well as comparing and contrasting between the data, analysing the pros and cons of each source as you go along as well as being able to order and generate your bibliographies properly. I recommend Harvard referencing to do this. You will also need to consider if, by the end of your project, your thesis also invites a clear answer: Yes, or no. Which your topic clearly does.

I would also recommend distributing online surveys through Google forms, however data gathered may be too personal since practically your EPQ is to do with the service delivery of the NHS.

Hope this helps!
First of all congrats on getting such an amazing grade.
I am planning to so an epq on ‘should genetic screening during pregnancy be made compulsory?’
What do you think about this topic ?
Reply 34
Ive started my EPQ recently aswell and i can tell my supervisor feels weird about my topic. My title is 'are black women the most socially disadvantaged figures of society' do you think i should just scrap this or would you say its fine?
Depends on how you answer the question. Having re-read your initial question number 1 invites a clear structure for your actual essay:

a part on smoking,

a part on obesity,

and a part on alcohol

and their individual effects of each on both the NHS and the public.

The real marks lie in managing to find a mix of reliable sources of data, as well as comparing and contrasting between the data, analysing the pros and cons of each source as you go along as well as being able to order and generate your bibliographies properly. I recommend Harvard referencing to do this. You will also need to consider if, by the end of your project, your thesis also invites a clear answer: Yes, or no. Which your topic clearly does.

I would also recommend distributing online surveys through Google forms, however data gathered may be too personal since practically your EPQ is to do with the service delivery of the NHS.

Hope this helps!

Wow this is alot like history :smile:, also when you advised me how to structure it, (bold) did you mean I should talk about each lifestyle choice seperately, for e.g. Subheading,
What do these lifestyle choices cause:
Would I talk about all three or just one of the lifestyle choices.
So give each lifestyle choice a mini essay seperatly or put them together all you go along the essay.
I hope you know what i mean? :smile:
Original post by GCSE 9
Wow this is alot like history :smile:, also when you advised me how to structure it, (bold) did you mean I should talk about each lifestyle choice seperately, for e.g. Subheading,
What do these lifestyle choices cause:
Would I talk about all three or just one of the lifestyle choices.
So give each lifestyle choice a mini essay seperatly not put them together all you go along the essay.
I hope you know what i mean? :smile:

Yeah, split each individual subheading into smaller and more manageable essays which should inform your final conclusion. Make sure they all your arguments both for and against are relevant to the original thesis being discussed. This is how I managed my project.
Yeah, split each individual subheading into smaller and more manageable essays which should inform your final conclusion. Make sure they all your arguments both for and against are relevant to the original thesis being discussed. This is how I managed my project.

Thanks but I think you misunderstood me. What i meant is that should I talk about each lifestyle choice seperatly or talk about them together in the whole essay.
For example:
Smoking:
1st subheading- ............
2nd subheading- ........
3rd subheading-........
Mini conclusion
Then the same on alcohol and obesity
Then finally a final overall conclusion
Or should I talk about all three lifestyle choices in the 3 subheadings.
I hope you get what i mean :smile:

Is there a website where i can find academic journals you would recommend?
Are you okay?

I’m feeling alright. Onto my question: what do you think differentiated your piece from an A* piece? Thanks.

Edit: I achieved an A*, AMA!!!!1
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending