The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I usually get it from Costa. But the occasions where I make hot chocolate at home, I use Cadburys instant choc and add whipped cream on top - with a sprinkle of choc powder on top for aesthetics. So comforting on cold nights.
Reply 41
For some weird reason this made me think of “hot coffee” from gta
Original post by SGHD26716
Drinking a glass = higher volume

Are the volumes not approximately the same? a glass might be higher, but a mug has a wider diameter...
Original post by Kallisto
Never taste this American version. Not even Marshmallows without hot chocolate. :lol: Was used to add a cream topping to it.

:colone:
Reply 44
Original post by Kallisto
Are the volumes not approximately the same? a glass might be higher, but a mug has a wider diameter...

When I say glass I mean like a big glass - not one of those small glasses.
When I say glass I mean like a big glass - not one of those small glasses.

You just need the right mug.

Remember- if it's not an awesome mug, it's not an awesome hot chocolate.
Plus you can't microwave a glass (well most of them anyway).
Reply 46
Original post by Kindred
You just need the right mug.

Remember- if it's not an awesome mug, it's not an awesome hot chocolate.
Plus you can't microwave a glass (well most of them anyway).

Microwaving a GLASS of hot chocolate right now
(edited 6 years ago)
Microwaving a GLASS of hot chocolate right now

If there weren't all these pesky rules in the way I would ban you for crimes against hot chocolate! :angry:
But since I can't do that, I'll just pretend it's a really odd glass mug with no handle. :tongue:
I usually use nutella and I loooove it😱❤️
Original post by Kindred
My uni had some really cool hot chocolate flavours and my bf had a habit of picking up one for him and a friend before early lectures. One of his friends got us a huge tub of galaxy hot chocolate (like a whole kg or something!) and a big bottle of vanilla syrup for Christmas. It is still serving us to this day and it is delicious.
My parents picked up on our new found appreciation for hot chocolate and got us some fancy hot chocolate flakes and mini marshmallows another time. They were used up far quicker. There is nothing quite like a real chocolate hot chocolate.

Anyway, as you may have guessed I've made a fair few hot chocolates by now so here's my perfect recipe:

Get an awesome mug. This part is very important. You should have a dedicated hot chocolate mug (or mugs if you're getting serious about this). If you do not have one, you know what to ask for for Christmas. If the mug is not awesome, the hot chocolate will not be awesome. Simple maths.

Fill it with milk. Just milk. None of this water nonsense. Hot chocolate needs to be creamy and no amount of milk powder can replace proper milk. Almond or soy milk is acceptable also.

Add chocolate flakes or grate in your favourite chocolate. About 2 decent sized spoons for a normal mug. A nice hot chocolate powder can be used to substitute if need be (especially if you happen to have half a kilo of the stuff).

Microwave. About 30 seconds to a minuet. Make sure it's steaming and the chocolate is fully melted. You could go for an old fashioned boil too if you wanted to be classic.

Add flavour. A splash of vanilla or cherry goes down a treat. Experiment with flavours and get seasonal with it.

Throw mini marshmallows up in that mug! Make it all pretty and photo worthy. If marshmallows aren't your thing (I didn't know that was possible, but have recently learned it is) you can add some whipped cream and sprinkles or throth it up and add one of those fancy sprinkle patterns.
quick tip- you can use an electric whisk or milkshake stirrer (yes they do exist) to get that throth going if you don't have a fancy barista throther to hand.

Photograph it so you can look back on your greatest achievement and make all your friends jealous on insta.

Snuggle up nice and comfy somewhere, drink and enjoy. :tee:

Go on TSR to thank Kindred for her words of wisdom and insist TSR create a hot chocolate badge just for her to celebrate her glory. :yep:

PS

Spoiler

omg that looks amazing!! i am jealous of the mug

reads step 1, opens new chrome tab and googles amazon for a mug :colondollar: :excited:

I will deffo use this method next time :XD and plus side is winter is coming :colone:

this post made me smile:smile: :yep:
Original post by Kindred
Get an awesome mug. This part is very important. You should have a dedicated hot chocolate mug (or mugs if you're getting serious about this). If you do not have one, you know what to ask for for Christmas. If the mug is not awesome, the hot chocolate will not be awesome. Simple maths.

Can't agree with this enough! Mugs are awesome. I have like 15 and it's just me and my wife that live in my house. :colondollar: When people come round I'm always like "choose a mug, any mug. :cool: ". Also, charity shops are great for really unique ones. My absolute favorite is one from 1989 with the Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles on - American visitors always ask me about it. And it cost me 50p!

Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, vodka...everything tastes better out of an awesome mug. :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by toonervoustotalk
omg that looks amazing!! i am jealous of the mug

reads step 1, opens new chrome tab and googles amazon for a mug :colondollar: :excited:

I will deffo use this method next time :XD and plus side is winter is coming :colone:

this post made me smile:smile: :yep:

Yes! Amazon those mugs.
Problem I have is way too many mugs. Bf has to tell me not to get so many mugs.
Successfully converted! :biggrin: (You're welcome)
Original post by Sabertooth
Can't agree with this enough! Mugs are awesome. I have like 15 and it's just me and my wife that live in my house. :colondollar: When people come round I'm always like "choose a mug, any mug. :cool: ". Also, charity shops are great for really unique ones. My absolute favorite is one from 1989 with the Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles on - American visitors always ask me about it. And it cost me 50p!

Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, vodka...everything tastes better out of an awesome mug. :biggrin:

Yes! Love it! I see so many cool mugs that I can't get cos it would be too much. I do have a cool octopus one bf got me at a boot sale though. It has tentacles and everything. I use it for pens :tongue:
Interesting find with the TMHT one. I might need to start a show us your mug comp at some point so you can show it off. :smile:
I make my Hot choc by mixing 3 heaped tablespoons of cadbury's hot chocolate power with a tiny amount of very hot water to make a thick paste. I then mix this in with some whole milk and steam it until it reaches 70C. Then I add some marshmallows I can get from Tesco for like 90p. Pure decadence.
My mug of total awesomeness must have:

1) real Belgian chocolate

2) real coconut milk (not the cr*p that's mostly water with coconut food flavouring)

3) in a massive mug (a 1 litre bierstein would be about the right size)

4) topped up with enough large marshmallows to spill over and annihilate my assignment (a ready made excuse for a late submission there!)
Just experimented with strawberry and white chocolate. It is delicious. :parrot:
Strawberry milkshake liquid plus white melting chocolate. It's all cute and pink too. :tongue:
Original post by ThePricklyOne
My mug of total awesomeness must have:

1) real Belgian chocolate

2) real coconut milk (not the cr*p that's mostly water with coconut food flavouring)

3) in a massive mug (a 1 litre bierstein would be about the right size)

4) topped up with enough large marshmallows to spill over and annihilate my assignment (a ready made excuse for a late submission there!)

Oooh. Coconut milk sounds like an interesting choice. Might have to try that some time. :biggrin:
I've always been partial to a hot chocolate.
Original post by Kindred
Oooh. Coconut milk sounds like an interesting choice. Might have to try that some time. :biggrin:

Other options add to your cup of tastiness..

Toppings to try:

- mini meringues and cream (off the spray can cream)
- shredded cinnamon bun - yum
- chopped strawberries on top of whipped cream (so there's a cold dessert starter before you get to the hot choc)
- top with mini donuts - messy but meltytastic

Variations on the hot chocolate:

- make a chai latte with the coconut or soya milk, then add chocolate
- add coffee + chocolate (+ a drop of booze, if you've got a cold and its cold outside)
- make choccy milky bubble tea ( with flavoured bubbles from asian shop + use less choc than normal hot chocolate)
- add vanilla to hot chocolate
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Other options add to your cup of tastiness..

Toppings to try:

- mini meringues and cream (off the spray can cream)
- shredded cinnamon bun - yum
- chopped strawberries on top of whipped cream (so there's a cold dessert starter before you get to the hot choc)
- top with mini donuts - messy but meltytastic

Variations on the hot chocolate:

- make a chai latte with the coconut or soya milk, then add chocolate
- add coffee + chocolate (+ a drop of booze, if you've got a cold and its cold outside)
- make choccy milky bubble tea ( with flavoured bubbles from asian shop + use less choc than normal hot chocolate)
- add vanilla to hot chocolate

Hot (chocolate) daymn! Those are some cool ideas. You need to start up a hot chocolate stand and share your gift with the world. :biggrin:

Latest