The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance degree- Does the Uni you receive the degree from matter?

I've heard from my ex-Accounting teacher that top accounting firms (e.g. KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and any other firms in the top 10) short list the candidate list by looking at the Uni they received their degree from. Here's what he said (from what I can remember):

"If you want to make it into the top firms like KPMG and Deloitte, you gotta get them grades and do a accounting related degree in a top 30 Uni because them folks who filter out the candidate pool will always look at the Uni you went to so make sure you don't end up going to a Uni like Bolton or Leeds Beckett, otherwise your application is going in the bin" (I remained neutral with whatever this guy said)

I want to know how true this is and to what extent. If possible, would be really helpful if you provide justification with your opinion so I know there is substance in your opinion. Thank You
It doesnt matter where you get your degree from
Reply 2
Original post by seanbruce
It doesnt matter where you get your degree from

Really?Why would you say that?
Original post by JDieMstr

Im prietty sure @Doonesbury has a graph about what employers look for and the university rep is the lowest on the graph to what employers look for

i go to a uni which is fairly highly regarded but in my opinion it doesnt matter as its your degree grade work experience and stuff like thay which really matters
Reply 5
I've heard from my ex-Accounting teacher that top accounting firms (e.g. KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and any other firms in the top 10) short list the candidate list by looking at the Uni they received their degree from. Here's what he said (from what I can remember):

"If you want to make it into the top firms like KPMG and Deloitte, you gotta get them grades and do a accounting related degree in a top 30 Uni because them folks who filter out the candidate pool will always look at the Uni you went to so make sure you don't end up going to a Uni like Bolton or Leeds Beckett, otherwise your application is going in the bin" (I remained neutral with whatever this guy said)

I want to know how true this is and to what extent. If possible, would be really helpful if you provide justification with your opinion so I know there is substance in your opinion. Thank You

Im prietty sure @Doonesbury has a graph about what employers look for and the university rep is the lowest on the graph to what employers look for

Correct.

And more relevantly for the OP

EY: http://www.ey.com/uk/en/newsroom/news-releases/17-02-02-ey-drives-social-mobility-by-removing-academic-entry-criteria
Deloitte: https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/press-releases/articles/largest-british-business-to-adopt-contextualised-recruitment.html
Someone who is in the middle of job applications within the financial sector, I can confirm that university doesn't matter esp with the big 4 But try to get into the best university you possibly can, as youll soon find out that the big 4 isn't the only opp in the world
Reply 7
i go to a uni which is fairly highly regarded but in my opinion it doesnt matter as its your degree grade work experience and stuff like thay which really matters

If you don't mind, which Uni do you attend?
Reply 9
Original post by ozilll
Someone who is in the middle of job applications within the financial sector, I can confirm that university doesn't matter esp with the big 4 But try to get into the best university you possibly can, as youll soon find out that the big 4 isn't the only opp in the world

Yeh, I'm thinking of looking into Construction as well. I've done an Internship with Arcadis as a Quantity Surveyor; my experience was quite pleasant tbh.
Reply 10
Thank you for these useful links.

No problem.

And here's the chart mentioned earlier:

Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads.png

Source: http://www.cbi.org.uk/index.cfm/_api/render/file/?method=inline&fileID=DB1A9FE5-5459-4AA2-8B44798DD5B15E77

Yeh, I'm thinking of looking into Construction as well. I've done an Internship with Arcadis as a Quantity Surveyor; my experience was quite pleasant tbh.

Your university is even less important for construction sector roles than consulting/finance.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you don't mind, which Uni do you attend?

durham

I am big 4 qualified and have some (out of date knowledge) as I know a couple of people who were responsible for the grad recruitment in two of the firms.

The big 4 don't really think about universities. Until recently they were very focused on A level results. There are plenty of past threads on this site which would confirm this. Very recently a couple of the big firms have moved away from 'A' levels as a main way to sift applicants. Use of aptitude tests is becoming more widespread.

Would this be the case by the time you might graduate? No-one knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending