The Student Room Group

Someone bumped my car in car park with CCTV

Just wondering how likely it is for them to get caught & In trouble. If I went to the police would they turn a blind eye to it as they have bigger things to concentrate on? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
Just to note it was a really small car park with about 10 parking bays down a small alley. But it did have 2 cameras
Original post by dylantombides
Just wondering how likely it is for them to get caught & In trouble. If I went to the police would they turn a blind eye to it as they have bigger things to concentrate on? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?

The police will take this very seriously.

Failing to stop at a collison/accident, no matter the severity of the collision, is a criminal offence.

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
The police will take this very seriously.

Failing to stop at a collison/accident, no matter the severity of the collision, is a criminal offence.

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

Ok thanks. It's just I've Been to the police over other things and they even made 0 effort.

Examples:
- caught someone stealing, then found the exact person online from the area and also found a post with the item he was selling online (stolen item) and the police didn't have enough evidence after I'd done all the work for them.
Unfortunately my friend was also stabbed in a city centre on a night out (plenty of cctv) and me and my friends all have very similar witness statements to police yet they didn't make an arrest. Also another friend was beaten up in the same town and the police couldn't find the people who did it even though it was in an area with cctv.
Reply 4
Ok thanks. It's just I've Been to the police over other things and they even made 0 effort.

Examples:
- caught someone stealing, then found the exact person online from the area and also found a post with the item he was selling online (stolen item) and the police didn't have enough evidence after I'd done all the work for them.
Unfortunately my friend was also stabbed in a city centre on a night out (plenty of cctv) and me and my friends all have very similar witness statements to police yet they didn't make an arrest. Also another friend was beaten up in the same town and the police couldn't find the people who did it even though it was in an area with cctv.

They don't have the resources to deal with minor crimes because they're severely underfunded up and down the country. You'd be best fighting this via your insurer.
Original post by IWMTom
They don't have the resources to deal with minor crimes because they're severely underfunded up and down the country. You'd be best fighting this via your insurer.

Thanks for your reply. Surely though they have all the info and cctv they need as it would've been all on camera?

Also I've experienced that even with bigger crimes (such as the stabbing example I gave my previous post) they couldn't find the guy fro that and they had all the cctv and accurate/agreeing witness statements.
Reply 6
Thanks for your reply. Surely though they have all the info and cctv they need as it would've been all on camera?

Also I've experienced that even with bigger crimes (such as the stabbing example I gave my previous post) they couldn't find the guy fro that and they had all the cctv and accurate/agreeing witness statements.

Again, it all comes down to resources. They'll be triaging incoming cases with priority given to the crimes with a high monetary loss, or the loss of life. It's a sorry state of affairs, and one we have austerity to thank.
Ok thanks for the help. Any other opinions are apppreciated.
Ok thanks for the help. Any other opinions are apppreciated.

It's worth reporting it. Your insurer may also be interested.

How bad is it?
Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard
It's worth reporting it. Your insurer may also be interested. How bad is it?

Ok, the paint has been scraped off by the wheel and a bit of the other cars paint has appeared on it. It's The tiniest bit dented too. All of this is in about a metre's space on the paint just above the wheel.
Ok, the paint has been scraped off by the wheel and a bit of the other cars paint has appeared on it. It's The tiniest bit dented too. All of this is in about a metre's space on the paint just above the wheel.

Hmm, well if we focus just on the issue of the damage then for the moment...

Sounds like the bodywork around the wheel arch has taken a scrape. A few options for you:

1. Go through your insurer (although ultimately you may end up having to pay an excess if you can't prove the fault of the other driver - for example if the CCTV is unavailable).

2. Get it looked at by a trusted garage.

3. Try a garage comparison service. Put up photos of the damage and see what repair quotes you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending