The Student Room Group

HELP!!! C3 modulus function graphs I'm very confused:((

image.jpeg Okay guys, I'm really confused to the answer of q4b, why is it a reflection in the y axis?? And why is the shape symmetrical?? I would've thought the left side of the axis (for negative values of X) would be more of a shape similar to the original but a reflection in the X axis as we are considering the modulus of the function . And why are the coordinates of X 1 and -1 shouldn't it be 1 and -3/2 (if you multiply eveything by sf 1/2) ??

Edit: the question is asking for f(|2X|) just to clarify as it looks a bit blurred
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Note that:

x={x,ifx0,[br]xifx<0. \lvert x \rvert = \begin{cases} x, & \text{if} \, x \geq 0,\\ [br]-x & \text{if} \, x < 0 \end{cases}.

Therefore for:
x = -1, f(|x|) = f(|-1|) = f(1),

x= -2, f(|-2|) = f(2),

etc.

Can you see why we have a symmetric graph?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by simon0
Note that:

x={x,ifx0,[br]xifx<0. \lvert x \rvert = \begin{cases} x, & \text{if} \, x \geq 0,\\ [br]-x & \text{if} \, x < 0 \end{cases}.

Therefore for:
x = -1, f(|x|) = f(|-1|) = f(1),

x= -2, f(|-2|) = f(2),

etc.

Can you see why we have a symmetric graph?

Yes thank you! It's because all the X values in the negatives will have the same y values as to the ones on the positives so it's a reflection in the Y axis? but now I'm confused on why y=|f(x)| is reflected in the X axis ? What is the difference between them two ? I'm getting mixed up 😢😢
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nadiakms
...It's because all the X values in the negatives will have the y value as to the ones on the positives so it's a reflection in the Y axis?

Yes.

...but now I'm confused on why y=|f(x)| is reflected in the X axis ? What is the difference between them two ?

There is a difference between f(|x|) and |f(x)|.

Note |a| is the "absolute value" of a, so we are only interested in the value of a rather than the sign of a.

For f(|x|), f takes the absolute value of x.
(So f(|-2|) = f(2), f(|5|) = f(5) ).

For |f(x)|, this is the absolute value of y.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Compare the following for f(x) = sin(x).

- sin(|x|)
Note we take the sin of the absolute value of x, f can still be negative:

sin(π/2)=sin(π/2)=1, \sin( \lvert - \pi / 2 \rvert ) \, = \, \sin( \pi /2 ) = 1,

sin(π)=sin(π), \sin( \lvert - \pi \rvert ) = \sin( \pi ),

sin(3π/2)=sin(3π/2)=1. \sin( \lvert -3 \pi / 2 \rvert ) = \sin( 3 \pi / 2 ) = -1.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by simon0
Yes.

There is a difference between f(|x|) and |f(x)|.

Note |a| is the "absolute value" of a, so we are only interested in the value of a rather than the sign of a.

For f(|x|), f takes the absolute value of x.
(So f(|-2|) = f(2), f(|5|) = f(5).

For |f(x)|, this is the absolute value of y.

Thank youuuuu😭💕 So are you saying with |f(x)| you work out the y value as its dependent on x then you take the modulus, which will tell you the absolute value of y but with f(|x|) we want the absolute value of x so we take the modulus of that only, modulus measures the magnitude so all X will be positive which is essentially why the graph is a reflection as mentioned before, Is my understanding correct? Also is this anyway related to graph transformations like the y=-f(X) and y=f(-X) ?
Reply 6
Original post by simon0
Compare the following for f(x) = sin(x).

- sin(|x|)
Note we take the sin of the absolute value of x, f can still be negative:

sin(π/2)=sin(π/2)=1, \sin( \lvert - \pi / 2 \rvert ) \, = \, \sin( \pi /2 ) = 1,

sin(π)=sin(π), \sin( \lvert - \pi \rvert ) = \sin( \pi ),

sin(3π/2)=sin(3π/2)=1. \sin( \lvert -3 \pi / 2 \rvert ) = \sin( 3 \pi / 2 ) = -1.

I'm confused on the last one, why is it still a negative even after we've taken the modulus
Reply 7
- |f(x)| = |sin(x) |
Note here we take the absolute value of sin(x).

So here negative values of sin(x) are taken to be positive.

So:

sin(π/2)=1=1, \lvert \sin( \pi / 2 ) \rvert = \lvert 1 \rvert = 1,

sin(3π/2)=1=1. \lvert \sin ( 3\pi / 2) \rvert = \lvert -1 \rvert = 1.
Reply 8
I'm confused on the last one, why is it still a negative even after we've taken the modulus

The function is: sin(|x|).

We are told here to take the absolute value of x, that is all.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In this case: x0=3π/2=3π/2. \lvert x_{0} \rvert = \lvert -3 \pi / 2 \rvert = 3 \pi / 2.

Therefore sin(x0)=sin(3π/2)=1. \sin( \lvert x_{0} \rvert ) = \sin( 3 \pi / 2) = -1.

(Note, different from: sin(x0) | \sin( x_{0} ) | , as sin(x0)=sin(3π/2)=1. \sin(x_{0}) = \sin( - 3 \pi / 2 ) = 1.
Therefore sin(x0)=1=1 | \sin( x_{0} ) | = | 1 | = 1 ).

Can you see the difference now? :-)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by simon0
The function is: sin(|x|).

We are told here to take the absolute value of x, that is all.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In this case: x0=3π/2=3π/2. \lvert x_{0} \rvert = \lvert - 3 \pi / 2 \rvert = 3 \pi / 2. .

Therefore sin(x0)=sin(3π/2)=sin(3π/2)=1. \sin( \lvert x_{0} \rvert ) = \sin( \lvert 3 \pi / 2 \rvert ) = \sin( 3 \pi / 2) = -1.

Can you see the difference now? :-)

Thank you ever so much! I can finally sleep in peace
Reply 10
Thank youuuuu😭💕 So are you saying with |f(x)| you work out the y value as its dependent on x then you take the modulus, which will tell you the absolute value of y but with f(|x|) we want the absolute value of x so we take the modulus of that only, modulus measures the magnitude so all X will be positive which is essentially why the graph is a reflection as mentioned before, Is my understanding correct?

Yes.

Also is this anyway related to graph transformations like the y=-f(X) and y=f(-X) ?

Similar concept in regards that "f(-x)" and "-f(x)" are different.

Quick Reply

Latest