The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why isn't the Burka banned?

Isn't it illegal to hide your face in public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catsarefamily
Isn't it illegal to hide your face in public?

You tell us.
Reply 2
It is not illegal to cover your face in public. It is a British value that people have freedom of religious expression, and to wear what they choose.

Sometimes people argue that women who wear the burka are oppressed. Many women who do wear it argue against this and say they do it through choice.

I would also say that if these women are oppressed, banning clothing will not liberate them. Education, opportunity and freedom of choice are the best ways to fight oppression. People may have all these and chose to wear the burka, and that is fine.

In France the 'burkini' was banned and this resulted in police shouting at women to take their clothes off on a beach. That to me is horrible and ridiculous.

Sometimes people consider the burka to be linked to Islamic extremism but there is no evidence of this.

Women remove their burkas so they can be identified when requested by police or other authority figures, provided no men are present.

Such a tiny proportion of people wear the burka I am always surprised that this topic gets such attention.
no offense, but ALL face coverings should be banned. last time I checked the burka is not a requirement of Islam, but a personal choice, therefore there shouldn't be an issue with it being banned..
Reply 4
For the same reason why the wearing of balaclavas isn't banned, because we live in a free country.
I've never seen anyone wearing a burka in Britain.

A niqab or a hijab yeah, but not a burka.
Reply 6
Original post by Knightoflogic
no offense, but ALL face coverings should be banned. last time I checked the burka is not a requirement of Islam, but a personal choice, therefore there shouldn't be an issue with it being banned..

Why should it be banned when it is not causing any direct harm? It is just a piece if clothing that very few people in this country wear.

I believe burkas and those kind of 'full coverings' stem from an interpretation of the quran, so those who wear them would say it is religious
Reply 7
Original post by London,SweetBoy
A burka needs to be banned.

I remember having a conversation with someone who was wearing a burka.

I could hardly make out what she was saying, and also it's hard to be in conversation with someone who chooses to wear a ninja mask on. It makes the conversation awkward and uncomfortable.

Also they could so easily rob a bank and no-one will know their identity or how to trace who they are when the minute they step out their door they are wearing an Islamic balaclava!

You or I could rob a bank with disguised clithing. People who wear burkas and niquabs are no more likely to commit a crime than anyone else. And seeing as so few people wear them perhaps they would be more likely to be identified?
Original post by RedRen
Why should it be banned when it is not causing any direct harm? It is just a piece if clothing that very few people in this country wear.

I believe burkas and those kind of 'full coverings' stem from an interpretation of the quran, so those who wear them would say it is religious

of course if they're genuine that's fine, but what's to stop a terrorist to wear a burka, just appearing as a normal Muslim, no one would suspect anything and then commit a horrible crime and no one would know?
Reply 9
of course if they're genuine that's fine, but what's to stop a terrorist to wear a burka, just appearing as a normal Muslim, no one would suspect anything and then commit a horrible crime and no one would know?

Is it fair to blanket ban clothing on the basis that someone might commit a crime? That is mot how the law works in this country. As I say, you or I could wear disguising clothing to commit a crime.

Women are far less likely to commit a crime than men. It seems like this becomes an issue because it is a visible sumbol of soneone's Muslim faith. Muslims are no more likely to commit a crime than any person in this country. The biggest difference in criminal acts is by sex.
Reply 10
Malaysia is a Muslim country and they don’t have this problem. People there privately take the piss out of the Saudis who push these extreme interpretations and insist on making their women look like walking closed umbrellas, or indeed penguins.
I don't understand why covering your face should be illegal...
Original post by RedRen
Is it fair to blanket ban clothing on the basis that someone might commit a crime? That is mot how the law works in this country. As I say, you or I could wear disguising clothing to commit a crime.

Women are far less likely to commit a crime than men. It seems like this becomes an issue because it is a visible sumbol of soneone's Muslim faith. Muslims are no more likely to commit a crime than any person in this country. The biggest difference in criminal acts is by sex.

yes, but if a criminal is in a burka whose to say they're a man or woman?
Original post by Captain Jack
I don't understand why covering your face should be illegal...

because people can commit crimes and no one would know who they are?
because people can commit crimes and no one would know who they are?

People who commit crimes are likely to cover their faces whether it's illegal or not - so making it illegal is pointless.
People who commit crimes are likely to cover their faces whether it's illegal or not - so making it illegal is pointless.

it helps to make the public less paranoid. in any case, what logical reason would someone have to cover their face?
it helps to make the public less paranoid. in any case, what logical reason would someone have to cover their face?

Fashion is one reason.
Fashion is one reason.

what kind of fashion?
what kind of fashion?

Amazing fashion. I personally feel deprived in life because people think it would be silly to wear stuff like this every day.

Reply 19
There is no epidemic of people committing crimes wearing burkas. It would be splashed all over the news if it was. It is just not an issue.

You can't ban clothing because it looks threatening to some, or we'd be policing every bit of clothing!

All criminals are free to wear disguises.

Calling people who wear the burka conceited is just trying to be offensive and shows a lack of understanding. I would read things written by people who wear the burka to understand the relentless abuse they get.

Banning this clithing would just isolate and alienate already vulnerable women

Latest

Trending

Trending