The Student Room Group

Girl lying about her age online?

I'm 22 and I met a girl on Tinder where her age was listed as being 29. We matched, got talking, and added each other on Facebook. However, she later told me on FB that she is actually 27 (and that she thinks age doesn't matter), not 29, but she accidentally let slip what her birthdate was, which proves that she is probably really 29 years old.

I haven't questioned her about this yet, but I plan to do so tonight. Do you think this is a bad sign, and should I delete/block her because of this? I'm just a bit cautious about people lying about information online, especially because of catfishing or them turning out to be someone they're not.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a red flag when people lie about things, especially before you've even met. It gives off the impression that they are okay with lying to get what they want.

Think about it, would you want to date someone who lies? Even the small lies can escalate into something more serious down the line.
(edited 6 years ago)
I personally can't understand why you'd lie about your age. My concern would be, what else is she hiding? Ok, it was nothing overly serious, like claiming she's single when she wasn't; but still...
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
I personally can't understand why you'd lie about your age. My concern would be, what else is she hiding? Ok, it was nothing overly serious, like claiming she's single when she wasn't; but still...

That is my concern, too -- it opens up a whole can of worms, such as the possibility you mentioned. My suspicion is that she doesn't want to put me off dating someone 7 years older, but I won't ever be certain that was the only reason, or even the reason to begin with!
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
It's a red flag when people lie about things, especially before you've even met. It gives off the impression that they are okay with lying to get what they want.

Think about it, would you want to date someone who lies? Even the small lies can escalate into something more serious down the line.

I agree. I hate lying more than anything else, especially right before we have even met or started dating.

I'm not sure how common it is for older women to pretend they are younger, however. I know it's not uncommon for much older women to do it (i.e. 40+), but I'm wondering if I should go through with it, or just delete and block her and move on.

We apparently live within 5-10 minutes of each other.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I agree. I hate lying more than anything else, especially right before we have even met or started dating.

I'm not sure how common it is for older women to pretend they are younger, however. I know it's not uncommon for much older women to do it (i.e. 40+), but I'm wondering if I should go through with it, or just delete and block her and move on.

We apparently live within 5-10 minutes of each other.

A 15 year old girl, lying and saying she's 18 ...yes, Red Flag for many reasons

A 29 year old woman shaving 2 years off because she thinks that as a man in your early 20's you'll be put off by the age gap? ....no not really a red flag imo, you are both adults but with a bit of an age gap and she just doesn't want to put you off...
Reply 6
Original post by ANM775
A 29 year old woman shaving 2 years off because she thinks that as a man in your early 20's you'll be put off by the age gap? ....no not really a red flag imo, you are both adults but with a bit of an age gap and she just doesn't want to put you off...

This is what I'd like to believe, but I had previously told her that age didn't matter to me -- but she still lied anyway. I'm just wary of her hiding something deeper that she doesn't want me to find out about.
What I'm finding most weird is that why someone would think being 27 instead of 29 is a huge deal? It's weird that she thinks that being two years younger would make a massive difference
Reply 8
Original post by bones-mccoy
What I'm finding most weird is that why someone would think being 27 instead of 29 is a huge deal? It's weird that she thinks that being two years younger would make a massive difference

Possibly because she'll be 30 in a few months, which could emphasise the age gap a bit more - but I can't be certain of what her real motives are.
I'm 22 and I met a girl on Tinder where her age was listed as being 29. We matched, got talking, and added each other on Facebook. However, she later told me on FB that she is actually 27 (and that she thinks age doesn't matter), not 29, but she accidentally let slip what her birthdate was, which proves that she is probably really 29 years old.

I haven't questioned her about this yet, but I plan to do so tonight. Do you think this is a bad sign, and should I delete/block her because of this? I'm just a bit cautious about people lying about information online, especially because of catfishing or them turning out to be someone they're not.

It is very commons and usually, (online) people lie on this way:

male - about height and financial status
women - about ages and weight

I am no kidding, that's the way how stuff works :smile:
Original post by casanova27
It is very commons and usually, (online) people lie on this way:

male - about height and financial status
women - about ages and weight

I am no kidding, that's the way how stuff works :smile:

So, should I press her on the fact that she lied about her age, or just let it go?
most people lie on tinder though. yet to meet an actual honest person
Reply 12
So, should I press her on the fact that she lied about her age, or just let it go?

most people on dating sites are telling porkies about something or other...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mating-game/201609/the-ugly-truth-about-online-dating

"A study of over 1,000 online daters in the US and UK conducted by global research agency OpinionMatters founds some very interesting statistics. A total of 53% of US participants admitted to having lied in their online dating profile. Women apparently lied more than men, with the most common dishonesties being about looks. Over 20% of women posted photos of their younger selves. But men were only marginally better. Their most common lies revolved around their financial situation, specifically, about having a better job (financially) than they actually do. More than 40% of men indicated that they did this, but the tactic was also employed by nearly a third of women.
While dishonesty was slightly less prevalent among the British sample, 44% did admit to lying in their online profile. In both the US and UK samples, dishonesty declined with age. Maybe older people are just more interested in projecting their real self, rather than an imagined or ideal version."
Ew, what a stupid and weird thing to lie over and saying age is just a number is contradictory seeing as she lied

About.

Her age.
She seems like a legitimate person: she has a Facebook profile dating back to 2013, has around a dozen pictures of herself from the last few years. Her other information seems consistent with what she has told me, though I can't find information on her anywhere else. I guess there's no harm in asking to meet her in a public place?

Let it go off course, what you will you have of "pressuring" her to admit why did she done that, think about that...
She seems like a legitimate person: she has a Facebook profile dating back to 2013, has around a dozen pictures of herself from the last few years. Her other information seems consistent with what she has told me, though I can't find information on her anywhere else. I guess there's no harm in asking to meet her in a public place?

The general advice is to meet someone in a public place.
We are set to meet on Halloween. I still have not asked her about her real age yet, but I wonder when in future would be the right time to mention it.
Reply 18
She's feeling perilously close to 30 and hence wanting to knock a couple of years off. Not a particularly good thing to do but not the end of the world either. If you like her I would forgive the minor deception.
Reply 19
Women hitting 30 do weird things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending