The Student Room Group

Cyclists

now, I'm not a driver, but I strongly take their side of the issue. cyclists go through red lights, Injure pedestrians and then complain about how unfairly they're treated.

I know drivers sometimes kill cyclists, but it all seems so stupid hypocritical. am I the only one who feels this way!?
Original post by Volibear
Yes. I say that as a cyclist. It annoys me to no end to see other cyclists behaving like idiots because it makes people sweeping generalise about all cyclists, even though not all of us cycle like that.

the dangers that cyclists pose to pedestrians should be highlighted more, like that worthless scumbag of a cyclist who killed that poor woman and felt no remorse.
Reply 2
I think law-abiding cyclists like myself hate scummy cyclists more than drivers do because they give the rest of us a bad name! However, most of the bad driving I encounter comes from motorists. It seems like a lot of people think that indicating or stopping at zebra crossings is optional (hint: it's not). Cyclists just get called out more than motorists when they do stupid/illegal stuff (most motorists are illegally speeding every day!) because there are fewer of us.
As a pedestrian, I find the majority are ok. But I've encountered the odd eejit who thinks they don't need to stop when the light is red or when I crossing the road. We're both lucky I've got just enough vision I can see you.
Original post by Knightoflogic
now, I'm not a driver, but I strongly take their side of the issue. cyclists go through red lights, Injure pedestrians and then complain about how unfairly they're treated.

I know drivers sometimes kill cyclists, but it all seems so stupid hypocritical. am I the only one who feels this way!?

If a motorist runs a red light, due to the mass of their vehicle they will likely destroy or seriously damage what ever they hit. If a cyclist runs a red light, they will most likely come a cropper themselves. This alone is enough to excuse them for running red lights. I do agree that it should also excuse them from other things such as ambulances and and the right to a fair trial.

As for cyclists that dont run red lights, they should be treated as if they were human beings. Sometimes they may even have to hog the lane to avoid being squished. This is fine provided that, when and where reasonable they pull over to prevent queues. Squish them if they dont!
Original post by Etoile
I think law-abiding cyclists like myself hate scummy cyclists more than drivers do because they give the rest of us a bad name! However, most of the bad driving I encounter comes from motorists. It seems like a lot of people think that indicating or stopping at zebra crossings is optional (hint: it's not). Cyclists just get called out more than motorists when they do stupid/illegal stuff (most motorists are illegally speeding every day!) because there are fewer of us.

Who really gives a fudge about speed limits? (no trollin). Unless they are in a built up area, driving in adverse weather conditions or in heavy traffic then they are of no concern. Speed alone is not the problem, (altho it is intrinsic to all collisions), it is how people use it.

Speeding on a motorway is fine. I cruise about 90 to a tonne unless its dark, wet or busy. I wouldnt do 50 through a 3o zone tho. Because speed is relative, and a village is relatively hazardous. Now what the legal system fails to realise is the "speed is relative" bit. It is of absolutely no defence. But really it should. Try to imagine your the last object left in the entire universe? Would it matter if you were moving at 1 mph or the speed of light? No it wouldnt. The same principle applies to empty motorways, they are the empty universe. The 30 mph zones are kind of like the asteroid belt, or an ice field in the arctic, you need to slow the fudge down and be god dam careful.

Its just in legal context, the speed of light in an empty universe thing would get your arse kicked.

Also "illegally speeding", as opposed to what "legally speeding"? (ok now im trollin)
Reply 6
Original post by Laomedeia
Who really gives a fudge about speed limits? (no trollin). Unless they are in a built up area, driving in adverse weather conditions or in heavy traffic then they are of no concern. Speed alone is not the problem, (altho it is intrinsic to all collisions), it is how people use it.

Speeding on a motorway is fine. I cruise about 90 to a tonne unless its dark, wet or busy. I wouldnt do 50 through a 3o zone tho. Because speed is relative, and a village is relatively hazardous. Now what the legal system fails to realise is the "speed is relative" bit. It is of absolutely no defence. But really it should. Try to imagine your the last object left in the entire universe? Would it matter if you were moving at 1 mph or the speed of light? No it wouldnt. The same principle applies to empty motorways, they are the empty universe. The 30 mph zones are kind of like the asteroid belt, or an ice field in the arctic, you need to slow the fudge down and be god dam careful.

Its just in legal context, the speed of light in an empty universe thing would get your arse kicked.

Also "illegally speeding", as opposed to what "legally speeding"? (ok now im trollin)

If cyclists are there then it is likely to be a built up area! I am talking about in towns rather than motorways, which I think probably make up the majority of day to day journeys - my point was that it seems like the majority of motorists break road laws on a regular basis by speeding and cyclists running red lights happens less than that. Not to mention the motorists that run red lights by speeding up when they see it start to change :tongue:
Original post by Laomedeia
You BELL END! If a motorist runs a red light, due to the mass of their vehicle they will likely destroy or seriously damage what ever they hit. If a cyclist runs a red light, they will most likely come a cropper themselves. This alone is enough to excuse them for running red lights. I do agree that it should also excuse them from other things such as ambulances and and the right to a fair trial.!

Even if there's a pedestrian coming the other way? As someone whose nearly been run over by someone cycling through a red light, I'd disagree with you.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Even if there's a pedestrian coming the other way? As someone whose nearly been run over by someone cycling through a red light, I'd disagree with you.

exactly, I couldn't agree more!
Reply 9
Idiotic road users are idiots regardless of their method of transport.
I would say the overwhelming majority of cyclists believe that they are exempt from most of the Highway Code.
Original post by Drewski
Idiotic road users are idiots regardless of their method of transport.

^This

Whilst I really dislike cyclists that don't follow the rules, they are amongst the more vulnerable road users. Cars and lorries often put cyclists in danger - the fact that some cyclists do so themselves does not excuse this.

It'd be nice to get rid of all the persistent idiots (we all make occasional mistakes), be they drivers, cyclists or pedestrians.
Original post by Trinculo
I would say the overwhelming majority of cyclists believe that they are exempt from most of the Highway Code.

Original post by Trinculo

I would say that you only notice the ones who don't do what you think they should. Confirmation bias.

Quick Reply

Latest