The Student Room Group

Can't decide what I want to do

The deadline for UCAS is approaching and I'm still not sure what I want to study. How can I decide on what area I want to go into ? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply 1
What subjects are you currently studying? What are you most interested in? What job can you see yourself going into?

Make a list of all the possible subjects you're thinking of and write down their pros and cons. Gradually get them down until you have 2 or 3 and start to have a look at universities. Find which specific uni courses interest you the most, and you're most suitable for, and decide based on that.

If you really can't decide now - take a gap year and apply for 2019 entry instead.
Original post by Clarkyx
The deadline for UCAS is approaching and I'm still not sure what I want to study. How can I decide on what area I want to go into ? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Is there any type of subject you enjoy doing? For example Art, Maths, Science, History etc? I'd say follow what you enjoy doing the most. We can't help you pick your future, but you'll want to follow a career path (Remember, your choice in career path may change throughout your education, and that's OK!) that you know you will enjoy studying and working with. For example if you was interested in art but unsure what type of art job you want, look into what Art courses are available then research online what sort of careers you could pursue with that qualification. If you find something you are interested in, look further into it and when you've made up your mind, you'll know what direction to take.

Don't worry about the deadline for now. If it's the same deadline I had last year, you still have till the end of November/Start/Middle of December to send off your UCAS application (This deadline isn't a "You can't apply after that" deadline.
The deadline is "All universities are OBLIJGED to consider your application before the deadline." After the deadline they'll begin receiving 100's of applications at once and it would be impossible for them to do that afterwards. So the deadline is "Take advantage of the fact less people will be currently applying to better your chances". You still have time to do your research and decide before that deadline :smile:
Good luck, I have no idea what I want to do and I am in my gap year so there's that. I would recommend thinking about what you really like doing or think about what you think about a lot. For example, if I always thought about animals I would probably want to work with animals in some way, be it as a vet or looking after pets.

Just going to ask when is the UCAS deadline?
Reply 4
I originally did psychology, sociology and health&social care for my A-Levels with the intention of going into nursing. I feel I'd still enjoy this but it isn't a career I could do long-term so to me it seems pointless doing a 3 year degree.
I recently went back to college and I am studying an access to higher education course in chemistry and biology and I'll come out with the equivalent of an A-Level in each. This was with the intention of going into pharmacy but I am struggling with the course so I strongly feel I wouldn't be able to do the work at degree level.
I'm still interested in a health or science related route but I'm not sure what the different options are. I like the more practical aspects as opposed to theory and research.
Reply 5
Original post by monkeyman0121
Good luck, I have no idea what I want to do and I am in my gap year so there's that. I would recommend thinking about what you really like doing or think about what you think about a lot. For example, if I always thought about animals I would probably want to work with animals in some way, be it as a vet or looking after pets.

Just going to ask when is the UCAS deadline?

I think the actual deadline for UCAS is January 15th (I think) but my college want my personal statement in before the end of next week.
Original post by Clarkyx
I think the actual deadline for UCAS is January 15th (I think) but my college want my personal statement in before the end of next week.

Good luck, do it before then. (My college wanted my personal statement last year around about that time, but then said the final deadline was later.)
Reply 7
Original post by monkeyman0121
Good luck, do it before then. (My college wanted my personal statement last year around about that time, but then said the final deadline was later.)

I'm trying to but it's difficult to write a personal statement if you don't know what you're aiming towards.
Original post by Clarkyx
I'm trying to but it's difficult to write a personal statement if you don't know what you're aiming towards.

I know, I hate that you can't have one for each role you apply for.

I wanted to do either art/graphic design or mathematics for my degree. They are totally different.
Original post by Clarkyx
What's your career plan?:holmes:

P.S. I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending