The Student Room Group

Optimum length for a Uni course?

So I've been looking at some potential choices and I've been wondering what is the perfect course length. 3 years, 4 years or 5??
Original post by Texxers
So I've been looking at some potential choices and I've been wondering what is the perfect course length. 3 years, 4 years or 5??

Are you talking about BEng, MEng, degrees with placement years, or what?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Are you talking about BEng, MEng, degrees with placement years, or what?

Just in general. I've already put down a mixture but regardless of the type of course, what is the optimum number of years to stay in a uni is what I'm asking.
Can you not see why that's a meaningless question?
Reply 4
It depends on what you want to do - that's why there are different lengths! If you're not sure, I'd go with 3 years first and then you can always decide to do more afterwards.
Original post by Sint
It depends on what you want to do - that's why there are different lengths! If you're not sure, I'd go with 3 years first and then you can always decide to do more afterwards.

Actually, it's usually easier to drop down from an MEng to a BEng.
Reply 6
Original post by Texxers
Just in general. I've already put down a mixture but regardless of the type of course, what is the optimum number of years to stay in a uni is what I'm asking.

The optimum number of years depends on the qualification you want to achieve.

It is what it is. If you want a MEng it takes 4 years. If you want to add a YINI then it's 5. If you just want a BEng without YINi then it's 3.

What do *you* want?

And as noted it's easier to apply for the "longer" course and then drop down if you decide you want to stop sooner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest