The Student Room Group

How does one get 3 A* in A level?

in my final year
maths, econ and english

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't do English but for maths: do as much practice as you can. Do every past paper you have time for before the exam(s). Make sure you know the formulae you aren't given in the formula booklet.
Economics: know the definitions. Helps a lot with short answer questions as well as a great way to start off essays. Speaking of essays, don't necessarily write every one out that you see- plan it, then get a teacher to read through it and see what they say and what feedback they give you. Obviously write out a few fully (and time it so you know you can still produce it in the exam) and give some of those to a teacher as well.

It's definitely possible and I wish you the best luck!
A lot of hard work...
Original post by veeraxox
in my final year
maths, econ, english

Lots of practice and past-paper questions. I can tell you that for Maths, you need to really know each topic like the back of your hand. You want to really be confident in your answers, and to get them quickly enough to have time to double-check. If you're doing modular (which you probably are if you're a 2nd year), focus more on C3 and C4 than on your applied module (I did S2). The main barrier to getting an A* is getting the 90% average of C3 and C4. That said, if you got less than 80% (an A) in your first year, consider retaking a first-year module, especially if you don't think you'll do well on your applied module this year.
Reply 4
in my final year
maths, econ, english

You don't need to, it's extremely unlikely any offer will require A*A*A*.

Edit: also please don't post the same question in multiple forums.
I've merged your multiple threads and consolidated them in the A-levels forum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TheMindGarage
Lots of practice and past-paper questions. I can tell you that for Maths, you need to really know each topic like the back of your hand. You want to really be confident in your answers, and to get them quickly enough to have time to double-check. If you're doing modular (which you probably are if you're a 2nd year), focus more on C3 and C4 than on your applied module (I did S2). The main barrier to getting an A* is getting the 90% average of C3 and C4. That said, if you got less than 80% (an A) in your first year, consider retaking a first-year module, especially if you don't think you'll do well on your applied module this year.

I did ocr
do u need a for each module ( 80 ums or over) in maths as and maths a level to get A* as well as 90 UMS for C3 and C4
Reply 6
I did ocr
do u need a for each module ( 80 ums or over) in maths as and maths a level to get A* as well as 90 UMS for C3 and C4

No.

You must get a grade A on the A Level overall (not per module) and achieve at least 90% of the UMS on the core A2 units combined (units C3 and C4).

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf
I did ocr

Nope. You need a total of 180/200 in C3 and C4 (that's 90% on average, but if you get 100% in one and 80% in the other you're fine), and a total of 480/600 out of all 6 units (80% average). Usually it's the C3 and C4 that holds people back.
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury

economics at cambridge 2 A* A
i know people who got 4a* AND WENT TO BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE OXFORD
and biomed oxford is not even that competitive
Reply 9
biomed oxford is not even that competitive

? Oxford's offer rate for biomedicine is about 19%, that's pretty competitive.

And yes I know Cambridge's offer is A*A*A, that's not A*A*A* though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
? Oxford's offer rate for biomedicine is about 19%, that's pretty competitive.

And yes I know Cambridge's offer is A*A*A, that's not A*A*A* though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

but lots of good courses such as LSE finance and accounting say they need 3 As for example but i know most people who got A* 2As at least

they give min. requirement to not put people off
Reply 11
but lots of good courses such as LSE finance and accounting say they need 3 As for example but i know most people who got A* 2As at least

they give min. requirement to not put people off

They give typical requirements because that's what's typically required. If you apply for an AAA course will never be given an A*A*A* requirement. You might *achieve* a higher grade but it's not required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
They give typical requirements because that's what's typically required. If you apply for an AAA course will never be given an A*A*A* requirement. You might *achieve* a higher grade but it's not required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but my point is that nobody gets in with the required grades
everyone achieves 4A* to get into Oxford
Reply 13

name somebody who got into Oxford and came from a grammar school or private school with lower grades
Reply 14

If you meet the offer you get the place. If the offer is AAA and that's what you achieve, you're in. Simple as that.

What course are you *actually* considering? And which universities? You've missed the Oxbridge deadline - so they are out anyway...
Reply 15
,Good luck! Tbh I think if you believe you can do it you can. Everyone has the potential. Not everyone has the dedication

A*A*A* is the standard offer for warwick maths, although I'm not sure if that's what you actually need or if they let most people in who miss it (and obviously this person isn't studying maths just thought it was interesting).

name somebody who got into Oxford and came from a grammar school or private school with lower grades

There's someone on my course who got into Oxford but dropped out and got A*AAB, and he came from a ridiculously posh private school (which means Oxford have higher expectations). Someone else got into Cambridge and dropped out with A*A*A from a very good grammar school.
Reply 17
Original post by lordofbutthurt
A*A*A* is the standard offer for warwick maths, although I'm not sure if that's what you actually need or if they let most people in who miss it (and obviously this person isn't studying maths just thought it was interesting).

Yes, but most will do STEP and be able to target the A*A*A 1 alternative offer instead. And, correct, it's not relevant to the OP anyway (no FM...).
Reply 18
If you meet the offer you get the place. If the offer is AAA and that's what you achieve, you're in. Simple as that.

What course are you *actually* considering? And which universities? You've missed the Oxbridge deadline - so they are out anyway...

I acc applies with 2A* and A prediction
Reply 19
Original post by lordofbutthurt

There's someone on my course who got into Oxford but dropped out and got A*AAB, and he came from a ridiculously posh private school (which means Oxford have higher expectations). Someone else got into Cambridge and dropped out with A*A*A from a very good grammar school.

one girl who went to a boarding school-- got 4A* biomedical science oxford
one guy who went to private school-- got 4A* biomedical science oxford

one guy who went to TOP GRAMMAR school got 4A* PPE OXFORD

Quick Reply

Latest