The Student Room Group

Growing my Grades by RheG

My Journey to Medical School!!

Okay, so I'm pretty unsure on how to make a blog, in fact, I'm pretty unsure on a lot of things. However, one thing I am sure on is what I'm wanting to do with my life: med school. As today is the 15th October, I have already applied, which is a crazy thought for me.

My GCSE's and AS exams:

I'm a pretty secretive with sharing my grades, however, something you should know is that: my grades are nowhere near all A*'s and As. This makes me different to all the other Medicine applicants in the country, however my decision to still apply was not an easy decision made. The chances of me getting in, are not the largest, but medicine is the only thing I can imagine myself doing.

I am currently in year 13. Taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. After dropping AS Maths with a grade B.

UKCAT

VR: 540
AR: 720
DM: 600
QR: 660

I think you will all be able to gather my frustration with my Verbal Reasoning Score. And with that score, my average was lowered drastically, which meant I had to choose carefully where I applied to.

With help from Student Room threads, I decide on,

The University of Bristol- Medicine
The University of Aberdeen- Medicine
The University of Dundee- Medicine
The Univesity of York- Biomedical Sciences
The University of Dundee- Biomedical Sciences (second-year entry)

All universities that are known to not look at the UKCAT.

In this blog,

I will be keeping you up to date on my application, and studies

If you ever have any questions or need any advice please feel free to contact me. AND if you're a student also applying for 2018 entry Medicine (or any course), HIT ME UP. I'd love to chat.

Thanks,
-G
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i completely forgot to mention my predicted grades sorry

chem A
bio A
psych A

I want my psych or bio to be an A* however, because being predicted them is not required, id prefer them to be my own aspiration, rather than an official one.

-G
Reply 2
Original post by rhegggg
My Journeyto Medical School!!

Okay, so I'm pretty unsure on how to make a blog, in fact, I'm pretty unsure on a lot of things. However, one thing I am sure on is what I'm wanting to do with my life: med school. As today is the 15th October, I have already applied, which is a crazy thought for me.

My GCSE's and AS exams:

I'm a pretty secretive with sharing my grades, however, something you should know is that: my grades are nowhere near all A*'s and As. This makes me different to all the other Medicine applicants in the country, however my decision to still apply was not an easy decision made. The chances of me getting in, are not the largest, but medicine is the only thing I can imagine myself doing.

I am currently in year 13. Taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. After dropping AS Maths with a grade B.

UKCAT

VR: 540
AR: 720
DM: 600
QR: 660

I think you will all be able to gather my frustration with my Verbal Reasoning Score. And with that score, my average was lowered drastically, which meant I had to choose carefully where I applied to.

With help from Student Room threads, I decide on,

The University of Bristol- Medicine
The University of Aberdeen- Medicine
The University of Dundee- Medicine
The Univesity of York- Biomedical Sciences
The University of Dundee- Biomedical Sciences (second-year entry)

All universities that are known to not look at the UKCAT.

In this blog,

I will be keeping you up to date on my application, and studies

If you ever have any questions or need any advice please feel free to contact me. AND if you're a student also applying for 2018 entry Medicine (or any course), HIT ME UP. I'd love to chat.

Thanks,
-G

Hey I'm also in the same position as you applying to medicine (my grades aren't all A*s but med is the the only thing I can imagine myself being happy doing) I was wondering what made you choose to make 3 applications to medicine instead of 4?
(I've also just started my own GYG if you want to check it out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5002710&p=74142046#post74142046)
Reply 3
Original post by tthripps
Hey I'm also in the same position as you applying to medicine (my grades aren't all A*s but med is the the only thing I can imagine myself being happy doing) I was wondering what made you choose to make 3 applications to medicine instead of 4?
(I've also just started my own GYG if you want to check it out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5002710&p=74142046#post74142046)

Hey, yeah it's hard not being an A* student when applying for Medicine although I really wish I was :frown:

I picked 3 because in July I completed a Summer School which I then got an unconditional offer from for bio med. I thought it would be silly to waste this, and when I went to visit York University I completely fell in love with it!!! I couldn't not apply, so I decided upon 3 meds. I also wanted further insurance due to my lack of 38734718373 A*s :smile:

Where you applying to? I've checked out your gyg, itll be great to keep up to date with your journey :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rhegggg
Hey, yeah it's hard not being an A* student when applying for Medicine although I really wish I was :frown:

I picked 3 because in July I completed a Summer School which I then got an unconditional offer from for bio med. I thought it would be silly to waste this, and when I went to visit York University I completely fell in love with it!!! I couldn't not apply, so I decided upon 3 meds. I also wanted further insurance due to my lack of 38734718373 A*s :smile:

Where you applying to? I've checked out your gyg, itll be great to keep up to date with your journey :smile:

Ahh that completely makes sense, if you don't get any med offers this year do you think you'll take the unconditional biomed offer and not bother reapplying?

I'm applying to Manchester, Exeter, Liverpool and Southampton
Reply 5
Ahh that completely makes sense, if you don't get any med offers this year do you think you'll take the unconditional biomed offer and not bother reapplying?

I'm applying to Manchester, Exeter, Liverpool and Southampton

tbh I'm not too sure. I would love to go into medicine obviously bcos it really is the only thing I can imagine myself doing, and I don't think I have the gut to apply for a gap year. ideally, id love to try again, but that means another year at home etc. as much as I loved Dundee I dont think id want to do bio med there, so I probably wouldnt take the unconditional. but if York accepts me and medicine doesnt ill hopefully go there.

I was going to apply to manchester and exter, but stupid ukcat :frown: how did yours go? did you apply for an insurance? what about you, what happens if you dont get in this year, what next?
:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rhegggg
tbh I'm not too sure. I would love to go into medicine obviously bcos it really is the only thing I can imagine myself doing, and I don't think I have the gut to apply for a gap year. ideally, id love to try again, but that means another year at home etc. as much as I loved Dundee I dont think id want to do bio med there, so I probably wouldnt take the unconditional. but if York accepts me and medicine doesnt ill hopefully go there.

I was going to apply to manchester and exter, but stupid ukcat :frown: how did yours go? did you apply for an insurance? what about you, what happens if you dont get in this year, what next?
:smile:

I didn't apply for an insurance because there wasn't really another course that I could see myself doing. My UKCAT wasn't the greatest but I thought id just give it a shot and try applying anyway. If I don't get in this year (tbh I doubt ill even get any interviews this year) I think I'll have one more shot at applying.
Reply 7
I didn't apply for an insurance because there wasn't really another course that I could see myself doing. My UKCAT wasn't the greatest but I thought id just give it a shot and try applying anyway. If I don't get in this year (tbh I doubt ill even get any interviews this year) I think I'll have one more shot at applying.

what would you do with your free year?

Best of luck with applying, im sure youll get interviews dont be silly!!!
Reply 8
Original post by rhegggg
what would you do with your free year?

Best of luck with applying, im sure youll get interviews dont be silly!!!

You too!

I'd probably try and get a job as a health care assistant or something along the lines of that
Reply 9
Hey everyone,

So its Tuesday.... and I'm at home.
I went to school this morning however it got to the second lesson and I couldn't stay, I had to leave with illness. Which, as you can imagine has had a major set back on my timetable, and on top of that? I've gotta catch up on all the work I've missed today. Great.

I've had a nap and I've made a list of everything I need to do today and here it is:

EPQ final touch ups I've never mentioned that I do EPQ, but yep I do, if you're interested feel free to ask about it, I've basically finished now so I'm an 'expert'

Chemistry Acids and Bases Notes

Biology and Psychology catch up

Chemistry Acylation Questions

BONUS: Chemistry Aspirin Practical Research

I'll keep you up to date on my progress at the end of the night,

-RheG
Hello! :hi:

We're closing the Blogs section of the site as it wasn't getting a lot of activity, but don't worry - that means your blog can go in a much more active section of the site where it'll get loads more attention! :jive:

Just so you know, I've moved your blog to Grow your Grades - I hope that's OK!

Paracosm :bigsmile:

FYI @Fox Corner (make sure you let Fox Corner know you're taking part, OP! :shock:)

Quick Reply

Latest