The Student Room Group

Getting into ucl with these GCSE's ????

I want to study history and English or classical studies.
I got:
Science A*
Science A*
Media studies A*
Psychology A*
English lit B
History B
Maths C
English lang C
Art D
Drama D
Spanish E

I know these are really **** but if I get amazing As and A level results then what do you think?
Thank You in advance.
Original post by punkbreath
I got:
Science A*
Science A*
Media studies A*
Psychology A*
English lit B
History B
Maths C
English lang C
Art D
Drama D
Spanish E

I know these are really **** but if I get amazing As and A level results then what do you think?
Thank You in advance.

You'll be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Ze Witcher
You'll be fine.

Really? Thank you. I hope you are right because I here they don't like people who don't have a C in languages .
ngl those grades de-escalated really quickly
Really? Thank you. I hope you are right because I here they don't like people who don't have a C in languages .

As long as your course says that you need at least a C in languages, then you're fine. :smile:
I got:
Science A*
Science A*
Media studies A*
Psychology A*
English lit B
History B
Maths C
English lang C
Art D
Drama D
Spanish E

Thank You in advance.

They are not bad, however your C's, D's and E's may not look as good to the examiners compared to other applicants. And in Maths and English Lang, a C may not look good. What did you pick for A-Levels? And what course do you want to do in UCL?
Reply 6
I got:
Science A*
Science A*
Media studies A*
Psychology A*
English lit B
History B
Maths C
English lang C
Art D
Drama D
Spanish E

Thank You in advance.

If you get good A level results in English you should be fine otherwise the C in lang might be a concern. They run language courses for people who didn't do a language GCSE.
Original post by I hate money
ngl those grades de-escalated really quickly

I know right! When I saw the post, I only saw the first 5 grades and thought that this person got amazing gcses and then I scrolled down and saw...
Original post by Etoile
If you get good A level results in English you should be fine otherwise the C in lang might be a concern. They run language courses for people who didn't do a language GCSE.

Is 3A*'s, 5A's and 3B's good for medicine?
Reply 9
Original post by Ukvoltaire
Is 3A*'s, 5A's and 3B's good for medicine?

Yeah that's probably fine - I assume the Bs weren't in science/maths? Just focus on getting work experience and doing well in your A levels if those are results you've already achieved
Original post by Etoile
Yeah that's probably fine - I assume the Bs weren't in science/maths? Just focus on getting work experience and doing well in your A levels if those are results you've already achieved

Thank you!
The B's were in french, history and english literature.
The A's were in biology, physics, religious studies, computing and english language
The A*'s were in Maths, Chemistry and Chinese
Reply 11
Thank you!
The B's were in french, history and english literature.
The A's were in biology, physics, religious studies, computing and english language
The A*'s were in Maths, Chemistry and Chinese

Sounds fine to me - the B's are completely unrelated to skills you'd need to be a good doctor! There's no point being concerned about them now anyway, all you can do is work hard for A levels, BMAT and get work experience :smile:
Hmm okay well UCL is a pretty good uni so those Cs, Ds and Es might raise a few eyebrows. However, if you have some decent AS levels or predicted A level grades they might be willing to overlook

Either way, definitely take it up with your head of year or another reliable teacher
Original post by Etoile
Sounds fine to me - the B's are completely unrelated to skills you'd need to be a good doctor! There's no point being concerned about them now anyway, all you can do is work hard for A levels, BMAT and get work experience :smile:

Sure!
They are not bad, however your C's, D's and E's may not look as good to the examiners compared to other applicants. And in Maths and English Lang, a C may not look good. What did you pick for A-Levels? And what course do you want to do in UCL?

A level English lit, history and sociology. And I wanted to do English and history or classical studies.
A level English lit, history and sociology. And I wanted to do English and history or classical studies.

Maybe!
I know right! When I saw the post, I only saw the first 5 grades and thought that this person got amazing gcses and then I scrolled down and saw...

Exactly what I thought on results day 🤣😂
Maybe!

Fingers crossed hey 😀 good luck for medicine btw
Fingers crossed hey 😀 good luck for medicine btw

Thank you very much. I am in Year 12 as well so still have 1 more year!

I guess it doesn't help that my English lang grade was a four. Do they care about that? I mean maths was a five and st. A's has said that 5 is a B. So maybe i did get a B in maths. What are ucl thoughts on that?

Quick Reply

Latest