The Student Room Group

Me too

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41633857

Surprised there isn't a thread yet.
Original post by yudothis
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41633857

Surprised there isn't a thread yet.

Wow, I think this hashtag shows how big a problem sexual assault is. We need to deal with these issues, because as a society where we do not objectify women, things like these are completely unacceptable.
This needs to become even more popular, it will definitely help younger people who have been abused as then they know how global the problem is and they won't feel alone. I want all people to come out of their shell and tell someone if they have been abused be it a friend, teacher or their parents. It will definitely be very hard almost impossible for some but getting it off your chest helps a lot more.

It is like people who have mental health problems hiding it away from anyone so that others do not judge them or think of them as being silly. Obviously, most people would not think this and would try to help as best as they can. You just need to take the first step, then everything will fall into place and 99% of people will get the help they need.
Reply 3
It does annoy me a bit that she has to specify "all the women". Why? Why not just write "everyone". Are men not allowed to complain when they've been sexually harassed/assaulted? I think it would be good to open peoples eyes to quite how often it happens to EVERYONE tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Dheorl
It does annoy me a bit that she has to specify "all the women". Why? Why not just write "everyone". Are men not allowed to complain when they've been sexually harassed/assaulted? I think it would be good to open peoples eyes to quite how often it happens to EVERYONE tbh.

1. Women are far more friendly towards male victims of sexual abuse than men.

2. It does simply happen a lot more to women.

So sorry, but you are yet another one of those that tries to reduce women here.
Reply 5
1. Women are far more friendly towards male victims of sexual abuse than men.

2. It does simply happen a lot more to women.

So sorry, but you are yet another one of those that tries to reduce women here.

How is being upset about my own experiences being dismissed "reducing women"? And no, women aren't more friendly towards male victims. I largely either get laughed at or dismissed. All this stuff about women banding together against an issue caused by men, and how men need to be taught to behave etc just completely invalidates the bad experiences I've had at the hands of women, and it isn't a nice feeling.
Reply 6
Original post by Dheorl
How is being upset about my own experiences being dismissed "reducing women"? And no, women aren't more friendly towards male victims. I largely either get laughed at or dismissed. All this stuff about women banding together against an issue caused by men, and how men need to be taught to behave etc just completely invalidates the bad experiences I've had at the hands of women, and it isn't a nice feeling.

Go on ig, many of the feminist pages post about male victims, too.

And it does not, the absolute vast majority of perpetrators are male.
Reply 7
Go on ig, many of the feminist pages post about male victims, too.

And it does not, the absolute vast majority of perpetrators are male.

That's grand. Unfortunately this huge movement is just page after page of women saying how men need to learn, and men need to stick up for them, and men need to be better, and how all women have been victims. If all women have been victims, then why the hell did they do the same to me? Who's going to stick up for me?

And what does not what?

I'm sorry, but you don't get to tell me how something makes me feel, and this just makes all that's happened in those regards worse.
Reply 8
Original post by Dheorl
That's grand. Unfortunately this huge movement is just page after page of women saying how men need to learn, and men need to stick up for them, and men need to be better, and how all women have been victims. If all women have been victims, then why the hell did they do the same to me? Who's going to stick up for me?

And what does not what?

I'm sorry, but you don't get to tell me how something makes me feel, and this just makes all that's happened in those regards worse.

You sound like an all lives matter kind of guy. There is absolute nothing systematic about women abusing men. The other way round, hell yes. And I actually just told you who is sticking up for you, and instead of finding it out you dismiss it as "women who hate men". Why don't you actually join the #MeToo? Plenty of other guys have.

And I am sorry that I don't really care about someone crying that others shouldn't cry because he's had it so much worse.
Reply 9
You sound like an all lives matter kind of guy. There is absolute nothing systematic about women abusing men. The other way round, hell yes. And I actually just told you who is sticking up for you, and instead of finding it out you dismiss it as "women who hate men". Why don't you actually join the #MeToo? Plenty of other guys have.

And I am sorry that I don't really care about someone crying that others shouldn't cry because he's had it so much worse.

I have joined in, I just don't like the fact the original tweet alienates my experiences from the overall problem. And considering the number of times it's personally happened to me, I'd have to question the "nothing systematic" statement. There seems to be a pretty pervasive assumption that men are always horny and will take what we can get.

I'm not saying others shouldn't be able to tell their story, in fact god knows where you got that idea from, I guess you're just a bit delusional. I just don't like the feeling of my experiences being dismissed.

You're starting to very clearly just become someone who'll be an ass as soon as something doesn't fit their narrative though, and amply display why I normally don't come forward about sexual assault, so unless you have something constructive to say I'm done. Take a good look at yourself though, because you're just another person who'll belittle a victim.

As for the sticking up comment, I mean all the cries for men to do something when they see it happen? Who should have done something when it happened to me? Why has a women never stepped in and stopped it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Dheorl
I have joined in, I just don't like the fact the original tweet alienates my experiences from the overall problem. And considering the number of times it's personally happened to me, I'd have to question the "nothing systematic" statement. There seems to be a pretty pervasive assumption that men are always horny and will take what we can get.

I'm not saying others shouldn't be able to tell their story, in fact god knows where you got that idea from, I guess you're just a bit delusional. I just don't like the feeling of my experiences being dismissed.

You're starting to very clearly just become someone who'll be an ass as soon as something doesn't fit their narrative though, and amply display why I normally don't come forward about sexual assault, so unless you have something constructive to say I'm done. Take a good look at yourself though, because you're just another person who'll belittle a victim.

As for the sticking up comment, I mean all the cries for men to do something when they see it happen? Who should have done something when it happened to me? Why has a women never stepped in and stopped it?

That's not the assumption. But when you take the numbers and add them, yes, there will always be some around you that are and will act inappropriately or even illegally.

And I am saying, how are they being dismissed?

Actually I didn't belittle a victim, I belittled someone crying about others speaking up because he feels "when they talk, it means I'm shut up".

Because gender stereotypes exist and both men and women conform to them and one is that it doesn't happen to men. Feminists want to change just that, and that would benefit not just women, but men too.
Original post by Dheorl

And what does not what?

Unfortunately it's one rule for men and another for women when it comes to sexual misconduct in the workplace. It's ingrained in our culture that men are the perverts and women are the victims, to the extent that the reverse is met with disbelief and dismissal. I regularly witness women behaving in ways that would land a male employee in hot water, but nothing ever happens. Meanwhile, men are treading on eggshells around their female counterparts for fear of being reprimanded, terminated, or becoming the target of the latest hashtag.

The irony is this itself is a manifestation of sexism, but feminists don't seem that interested in tackling this particular double standard. I wonder why.
Reply 12
That's not the assumption. But when you take the numbers and add them, yes, there will always be some around you that are and will act inappropriately or even illegally.

And I am saying, how are they being dismissed?

Actually I didn't belittle a victim, I belittled someone crying about others speaking up because he feels "when they talk, it means I'm shut up".

Because gender stereotypes exist and both men and women conform to them and one is that it doesn't happen to men. Feminists want to change just that, and that would benefit not just women, but men too.

They're being dismissed because 90% of the time when it's bought up, as with this campaign, it's all about women being the victim and men being trash. Tbh I wish our society would just do away with gender pronouns all together, they don't do anything useful, it's just one more pointless way to segregate people.

I didn't cry about others people up, I just don't like my experiences being dismissed. As for belittling a victim, the fact you can't see you doing it just shows how closed minded and moronic you are tbh. Your behaviour is infuriating. You're EXACTLY what you claim to hate, yet you're to blind to see it. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. I'm a victim of sexual assault, and when I mention that fact, and the fact I feel alienated and invalidated by such campaigns, the VERY FIRST THINGS YOU SAY, are "it doesn't happen as much to men" (implying it therefore isn't as important) and "you get treated better when it happens" which I can tell you first hand, and as you've reinforced in this thread, is complete *******s. You're such a hypocrite I just don't know what to say to you. What's ****ing hilarious is YOU'RE STILL DOING IT!!!!!
I don't know how much difference the movement can make but at least for time it might raise people's eyes to the fact that sexual assault is far more prevalent than they might have believed.
Reply 14
Original post by Dheorl
They're being dismissed because 90% of the time when it's bought up, as with this campaign, it's all about women being the victim and men being trash. Tbh I wish our society would just do away with gender pronouns all together, they don't do anything useful, it's just one more pointless way to segregate people.

I didn't cry about others people up, I just don't like my experiences being dismissed. As for belittling a victim, the fact you can't see you doing it just shows how closed minded and moronic you are tbh. Your behaviour is infuriating. You're EXACTLY what you claim to hate, yet you're to blind to see it. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. I'm a victim of sexual assault, and when I mention that fact, and the fact I feel alienated and invalidated by such campaigns, the VERY FIRST THINGS YOU SAY, are "it doesn't happen as much to men" (implying it therefore isn't as important) and "you get treated better when it happens" which I can tell you first hand, and as you've reinforced in this thread, is complete *******s. You're such a hypocrite I just don't know what to say to you. What's ****ing hilarious is YOU'RE STILL DOING IT!!!!!

Yes, because the very first thing you say is against women. You come across as very bitter, and here is something predominantly affecting women but because Mr. Dheorl has other experiences he can completely change the picture. We can talk when men walk around fearful of being raped like women do. I am a hypocrite? Rich coming from you, Mr. "how dare women talk about men being bad, women are bad I should be the one who gets to cry".

Your initial contribution was that it should be everyone, because as it happened to you, a male, it must obviously be possible for everyone to suffer. And yet men do not walk around being scared of rape. Women do. You're insufferable and I am done with you.
Yes, because the very first thing you say is against women. You come across as very bitter, and here is something predominantly affecting women but because Mr. Dheorl has other experiences he can completely change the picture. We can talk when men walk around fearful of being raped like women do. I am a hypocrite? Rich coming from you, Mr. "how dare women talk about men being bad, women are bad I should be the one who gets to cry".

Your initial contribution was that it should be everyone, because as it happened to you, a male, it must obviously be possible for everyone to suffer. And yet men do not walk around being scared of rape. Women do. You're insufferable and I am done with you.

What exactly was the point of this thread, you've got someone here saying me too which can be quite difficult and painful in itself and you're basically telling them to **** off.

Anyways #metoo
Reply 16

Ahhhahaahaaaaaahahahahahaahahaha. AAAAaaaahahahahahahaaahahahaa. You really just need to learn to read you pathetic little thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending