The Student Room Group

Worried I won't get the grades for Uni

I didn't do great at gcse (1A, 6Bs and 3Cs) but I am predicted AAB for A-level. However, my previous performance at GCSE puts seeds of self-doubt in my capability of doing well at the end of year 13. So, now I'm not sure whether to believe in myself and apply for my dream university or to apply to unis with lower entry requirements e.g. BBB to make sure I actually get a place at uni. I would be entirely grateful if anyone who didn't do great at GCSE but excelled at A-Level could give me some advice or just anyone in general because I'm freaking out.
Reply 1
Look.

You did EXTREMELY well at GCSE. I got only 1 GCSE and that was only IT. I passed my English & studied a BTEC Level 2. That equates to 4 GCSEs, still better than nothing! You on the other hand have 10 GCSEs! You should be grateful. I'm hoping to get DDD in my Level 3 BTEC.

You can do it! Just believe in yourself.. that's the key to success. Look at the entry requirements for good universities and just apply to them (providing you meet their conditions, etc).
(edited 6 years ago)
The fact that you got majority A and B means you did very well. You will be completely fine! jheeze they put so much pressure on exams these days, it's not the be all and end all guys!!
Apply to your dream Uni for AAB predictions but perhaps have 2 out of your 5 choices at the lower BBB requirements in case you fall short. Everyone needs an insurance choice so visit the open days of the lower grade requirement Unis and pick one for an insurance choice. That way you know if you fall short of AAB you still have a decent Uni to go to that you are happy to attend.

Don’t beat yourself up either! You have good solid GCSE results and if you do well at A level then you will get to go to your dream Uni. Stay focussed and good luck!
Don't worry about the universities, just make a firm choice of best university you want to go to and then insurance of BBB. Don't stress over this because you won't do well with it. I got 6 As, 6 Vs and 1C in Gcse. I didn't do much in Gcse so these are pretty bad but in As I got AABB and in a2 I got A*A*A* in maths, CHEMISTRY AND BUSINESS studies this summer. I would say just focus and spend everyday revising. Go through content but use specification so you cover everything. It is important as I'm guessing you will be doing new a level too. Don't rely on what teacher say, they could forget some stuff. Also, do a lot of past papers. This is very simple help but if you do any of the subject I have done, dont hesitate to ask me. Good luck.. believe in your self. It is not impossible
Reply 5
Your achievements at GCSE do not limit your achievements at A Level. Sure, A-Levels may be harder, but that doesn't mean you're not going to get the grades that you want. At the end of the day, it's not even about the grades you want. It's about the grades you deserve - the harder you work, the more practice you put into answering past exam papers, the more independent study you do and the help you ask for when you need it is what will determine your final grades. Don't give up on your dreams just yet!!

(though honestly I, myself, am living Year 13 in a constant state of panic ;p)

Original post by adviorum
I didn't do great at gcse (1A, 6Bs and 3Cs) but I am predicted AAB for A-level. However, my previous performance at GCSE puts seeds of self-doubt in my capability of doing well at the end of year 13. So, now I'm not sure whether to believe in myself and apply for my dream university or to apply to unis with lower entry requirements e.g. BBB to make sure I actually get a place at uni. I would be entirely grateful if anyone who didn't do great at GCSE but excelled at A-Level could give me some advice or just anyone in general because I'm freaking out.
Reply 6
Original post by Echosong
Your achievements at GCSE do not limit your achievements at A Level. Sure, A-Levels may be harder, but that doesn't mean you're not going to get the grades that you want. At the end of the day, it's not even about the grades you want. It's about the grades you deserve - the harder you work, the more practice you put into answering past exam papers, the more independent study you do and the help you ask for when you need it is what will determine your final grades. Don't give up on your dreams just yet!!

(though honestly I, myself, am living Year 13 in a constant state of panic ;p)

Thank you!!! I hope Year 13 treats you well :smile:
Worried about not getting required grades have applied and got offers from all but all asking for all A or A*AA? And this year it is based on everything and not just one exam so it is more worrying.

Quick Reply

Latest