The Student Room Group

Grant Thornton 2018 graduate applications

Hey! Thought I'd start a forum for applicants to Grant Thornton graduate trainee programmes. I'm currently preparing for the video interview for a trainee tax adviser role in London to start in April 2018. Anyone else? What stage are you all in the application process and how is everybody finding it? 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I'm interested in applying for a role for sept 2018 entry, haven't exactly decided which role yet, but hopefully will decide this week and start the application. Good luck! Are there any online tests you had to do? If so, which ones?
Reply 2
Original post by H.a.hx
Hi. I'm interested in applying for a role for sept 2018 entry, haven't exactly decided which role yet, but hopefully will decide this week and start the application. Good luck! Are there any online tests you had to do? If so, which ones?

Not normal online tests no. But they do ask you to do a strengths assessment which is half made up of situational judgement type questions and half made up of numerical data analysis / verbal analysis questions. The situational judgement questions are related to the CLEARR values and you have to rank what you would most likely do in situations to what you would least likely do. The numerical data questions I wouldn't say required much math skill, easier than SHL, also easier than CAPP, I only ended up using a calculator for a couple of questions. The questions were based upon a case study where there are multiple attachments shown including graphs, pie charts and news articles so it's about interpreting them! Also there is no time limit and they don't seem to record your time either so that seems to take the pressure off 😊
Original post by l.donaldson
Hey! Thought I'd start a forum for applicants to Grant Thornton graduate trainee programmes. I'm currently preparing for the video interview for a trainee tax adviser role in London to start in April 2018. Anyone else? What stage are you all in the application process and how is everybody finding it? 😊

Hey, I am currently answering the questions but quite clueless. What did you speak about in the question about "creating an environment where nobody is left behind"?
Reply 4
Original post by MrGrafter786
Hey, I am currently answering the questions but quite clueless. What did you speak about in the question about "creating an environment where nobody is left behind"?

I worked for the government I had an internship with them so for me that question was quite specific, most of the work I worked on was of national importance and helping the wider public so it fitted very nicely! I think just find an example from your extra curriculars say a society / work experience where you have contributed to make something better for the society as a whole / the job!
I worked for the government I had an internship with them so for me that question was quite specific, most of the work I worked on was of national importance and helping the wider public so it fitted very nicely! I think just find an example from your extra curriculars say a society / work experience where you have contributed to make something better for the society as a whole / the job!

Do you think I could talk about mentoring disadvantaged kids or is the question more towards the environment? Thanks for the help in advance!
Reply 6
Original post by MrGrafter786
Do you think I could talk about mentoring disadvantaged kids or is the question more towards the environment? Thanks for the help in advance!

That sounds like a perfect example! Because their vision also includes wanting to unlock growth for individuals as well as the wider environment 😊
That sounds like a perfect example! Because their vision also includes wanting to unlock growth for individuals as well as the wider environment 😊

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 8
Not normal online tests no. But they do ask you to do a strengths assessment which is half made up of situational judgement type questions and half made up of numerical data analysis / verbal analysis questions. The situational judgement questions are related to the CLEARR values and you have to rank what you would most likely do in situations to what you would least likely do. The numerical data questions I wouldn't say required much math skill, easier than SHL, also easier than CAPP, I only ended up using a calculator for a couple of questions. The questions were based upon a case study where there are multiple attachments shown including graphs, pie charts and news articles so it's about interpreting them! Also there is no time limit and they don't seem to record your time either so that seems to take the pressure off 😊

Yeah really didn't see those verbal and maths questions coming! I must have spent like two hours on it while the email suggests it should normally take around 40 minutes...

Have you attempted the video interview? It's said that there's even the written task in it. Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Daisy.W
Yeah really didn't see those verbal and maths questions coming! I must have spent like two hours on it while the email suggests it should normally take around 40 minutes...

Have you attempted the video interview? It's said that there's even the written task in it. Good luck!

At least we weren't ones haha! Yes I did the video interview the other day and I have now received an email saying that I'd passed the interview, but they now need to review my application in full to see if I'm gonna be invited to the AC. It's strengths based but actually I used a competency in pretty much all my answers as competencies fitted so I'd suggest preparing for a usual competency based interview - also know which role you are applying for inside out in terms of what you'd be doing on a day to day basis. It's very much focused on the CLEARR values. The case study asks you to summarise the graphs and tables and then write down the key priorities for the client based on the graphs and within the context of the brief, no calculations needed. Case study was actually quite easy compared to others it's just common business sense but I'd advise that you summarise the graphs quickly first and then you'll already have ideas in your head from the graphs for how to answer the next part!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
At least we weren't ones haha! Yes I did the video interview the other day and I have now received an email saying that I'd passed the interview, but they now need to review my application in full to see if I'm gonna be invited to the AC. It's strengths based but actually I used a competency in pretty much all my answers as competencies fitted so I'd suggest preparing for a usual competency based interview - also know which role you are applying for inside out in terms of what you'd be doing on a day to day basis. It's very much focused on the CLEARR values. The case study asks you to summarise the graphs and tables and then write down the key priorities for the client based on the graphs and within the context of the brief, no calculations needed. Case study was actually quite easy compared to others it's just common business sense but I'd advise that you summarise the graphs quickly first and then you'll already have ideas in your head from the graphs for how to answer the next part!

Ohh well done! I hope they get back to you with good news. Since your programme starts in April I'd imagine you'll hear back soon :wink:

So the written task is a case study?? Oh dear I would have never guessed that! I thought it would be another competency / strength based question but you just gotta type in your response - I learnt it on Glassdoor that last year's written task was on Agility.
Thanks so much for the heads up!! Now I might wanna stay hopeful and go read more about Adivosry to be confident in talking about what the role entails (I am quite worried about my Capp tests). How many questions are there in total? Am I right to assume that I will get why GT, why Advisory and then one question each on the CLEARR values?

Many thanks for the help!

Daisy x
Original post by Daisy.W
Ohh well done! I hope they get back to you with good news. Since your programme starts in April I'd imagine you'll hear back soon :wink:

So the written task is a case study?? Oh dear I would have never guessed that! I thought it would be another competency / strength based question but you just gotta type in your response - I learnt it on Glassdoor that last year's written task was on Agility.
Thanks so much for the heads up!! Now I might wanna stay hopeful and go read more about Adivosry to be confident in talking about what the role entails (I am quite worried about my Capp tests). How many questions are there in total? Am I right to assume that I will get why GT, why Advisory and then one question each on the CLEARR values?

Many thanks for the help!

Daisy x

Yes a case study with 4 graphs and a short brief! Defo no written answers to competencies. I don't think they phrase the questions as straight forward as why GT but yes you need to prepare for questions like that, they're said in a really wordy way! No question specifically said anything like 'describe a time you have shown collaboration' or anything like that but I remember one question asked what qualities of mine would be important for grant Thornton which is where I covered some competencies. I think you'll be fine if you just prepare for what you've said and then competencies for each of the values yes but be ready to adapt your script so to speak, because the questions are going to be worded strangely I barely remember any! The only I remember is that one question asked what is your most important learning experience to date. Good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Yes a case study with 4 graphs and a short brief! Defo no written answers to competencies. I don't think they phrase the questions as straight forward as why GT but yes you need to prepare for questions like that, they're said in a really wordy way! No question specifically said anything like 'describe a time you have shown collaboration' or anything like that but I remember one question asked what qualities of mine would be important for grant Thornton which is where I covered some competencies. I think you'll be fine if you just prepare for what you've said and then competencies for each of the values yes but be ready to adapt your script so to speak, because the questions are going to be worded strangely I barely remember any! The only I remember is that one question asked what is your most important learning experience to date. Good luck :smile:

That's some really valuable insight thanks so much! Good luck and hope you hear back about your AC soon!

All the best,
Daisy x
Original post by Daisy.W
That's some really valuable insight thanks so much! Good luck and hope you hear back about your AC soon!

All the best,
Daisy x

Thank you daisy good luck with your video interview! 😊
Searched and found this thread. Submitted the application on Monday and just received a phone call explaining the interview. Kind of impressed at how quick this went. Applying for Public Sector Audit.
Hi, how did your interview go? I just submitted my application for Public Sector Audit and received the Strengths Assessment invitation.
Original post by Elaine322
Hi, how did your interview go? I just submitted my application for Public Sector Audit and received the Strengths Assessment invitation.

Really well, at least I think! The questions were a bit different from the standard but really natural to answer--not much preparation could be done and no real surprises after the phone call. There's a second portion of the interview that is a case study that was really challenging due to time constraints but I also found that surprisingly enjoyable.

They send you pretty decent feedback on the strengths assessment, and if you answer all of the questions honestly, the feedback is really good. I definitely wouldn't try to 'answer how they want you to' because otherwise this feedback won't be of any use.
Original post by RhyddleMeThis
Really well, at least I think! The questions were a bit different from the standard but really natural to answer--not much preparation could be done and no real surprises after the phone call. There's a second portion of the interview that is a case study that was really challenging due to time constraints but I also found that surprisingly enjoyable.

They send you pretty decent feedback on the strengths assessment, and if you answer all of the questions honestly, the feedback is really good. I definitely wouldn't try to 'answer how they want you to' because otherwise this feedback won't be of any use.

Thank you very much for your reply. Would you mind to tell me a bit more about the interview questions and the case study please? Thanks xx
Has anyone actually been invited to an Assessment Centre yet? I've never known a process where you can pass all the individual stages and still not make it so I'm really nervous! I found out I passed the video interview last week....anyone else in the same boat?
Hi there,

I've got a recorded interview coming so am just wondering how many competency-based questions there are, how long the preparation & answering time is for each question?

Many thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending