The Student Room Group

Dropping out and re applying implications ?

I am currently a first year at university but have realised the course I have chosen is not for me. I tried to transfer this year but the course is already full.
I am asking for advice on what the best thing to do is. Should I complete the year even though I’m not happy or should I drop out now? If I drop out what would the financial implications be as I have received a maintenance loan and wondering how this is paid back?
Thank you for any help!
Reply 1
Drop out ASAP. I dropped out of my university last week in order to retake my A levels. Ask your university how much you will have to pay for the time you have been there as in accommodation etc. You will probably have your maintenance loan added to the fees you will pay at the next university you apply for, and will be able to keep the remaining balance.
If you aren't happy with the course at all, I would drop out and reapply later on. After all, you are spending the next three years and funding to study your degree, it should be something that you will find useful to you. Out of interest, what are you studying now and what would you like to study (i.e. are the subjects in the same field)?
Original post by Goeke
Drop out ASAP. I dropped out of my university last week in order to retake my A levels. Ask your university how much you will have to pay for the time you have been there as in accommodation etc. You will probably have your maintenance loan added to the fees you will pay at the next university you apply for, and will be able to keep the remaining balance.

Yes I need to speak to someone about finances but I’ve read up on here something about sf asking maintenance loans to be paid back pretty much immediately?
Original post by cheesecakelove
If you aren't happy with the course at all, I would drop out and reapply later on. After all, you are spending the next three years and funding to study your degree, it should be something that you will find useful to you. Out of interest, what are you studying now and what would you like to study (i.e. are the subjects in the same field)?

That’s what I’m thinking as I’m not completely enjoying uni. I would only stay until the end of the year as it may be easier financially? And currently philosophy but want to change to psychology.
Original post by Globularlegumes
That’s what I’m thinking as I’m not completely enjoying uni. I would only stay until the end of the year as it may be easier financially? And currently philosophy but want to change to psychology.

If you aren't interested in studying, isn't it better to drop out now? I was thinking of the extra accommodation costs, maintenance loan instalments and tuition fee instalments that would be paid.
If you aren't interested in studying, isn't it better to drop out now? I was thinking of the extra accommodation costs, maintenance loan instalments and tuition fee instalments that would be paid.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean?
Original post by Globularlegumes
Sorry I’m not sure what you mean?

I mean if you left now, you would only pay for a few months study, but if you stay for the entire year, you would pay for one year's study?
I mean if you left now, you would only pay for a few months study, but if you stay for the entire year, you would pay for one year's study?

Yeah this is what I’m confused about! If you stay the year you don’t have to repay until your earning a certain amount, but if you leave early I’m pretty sure you have to repay some back immediately ?
I had a look on Prospects (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/changing-or-leaving-your-course), and it says you would only pay it back when you are earning over £21,000, same as normal?
I had a look on Prospects (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/changing-or-leaving-your-course), and it says you would only pay it back when you are earning over £21,000, same as normal?

Ah I see thank you ! I’ll have a look into it too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending