The Student Room Group

Horrible, low GCSE results but A*A*A predicted grades... Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Your chances of getting in are lower due to your GCSE results, but with the predicted a level grades you're (hopefully) going to achieve when the exams come you still definitely have a chance to get into oxford. If you have a strong personal statement and do well in the interview you should have just as strong a chance as anyone else applying with those grades. And either way it is only 1 out of 5 of your choices, after all It is better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit :smile:
Original post by Unethicalmice
Your chances of getting in are lower due to your GCSE results, but with the predicted a level grades you're (hopefully) going to achieve when the exams come you still definitely have a chance to get into oxford. If you have a strong personal statement and do well in the interview you should have just as strong a chance as anyone else applying with those grades. And either way it is only 1 out of 5 of your choices, after all It is better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit :smile:

Thank you so very much, this means a lot! Very encouraging
Original post by milktea_xox
Yeah I know :/
No harm in trying I guess and as someone said, I may get an interview, may not, I get 5 options anyway, I don't think it's a waste, won't know unless I try hah..

I stated that I'm taking a gap year and i'm applying post a levels which may increase my chances if I get solid A*A*A* next year, as it'll be definite as opposed to someone's predicted...
:smile:

good luck!! i hope you have a great year, would love to see how everything works out in the end :smile:
Original post by geidiprimes
good luck!! i hope you have a great year, would love to see how everything works out in the end :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: I'll probably do updates or something on here, if I somehow get into oxford I'd love to share my story and encourage more people like me
Tagging in @BrasenoseAdm and @LMH OXFORD who would probably be able to give much better advice than me. But from what I understand the applications process is a holistic one, and with the upward trajectory to exceptional A level grades, you shouldn’t be regarded as a definite no. Improvement is a good thing, so don’t be too worried. Provided the rest of your application is strong, then I’m sure it would be worth applying.
This article that Alan Rusbridger wrote explains the admissions process quite nicely (I’m an LMH diehard, could you tell?:biggrin:)
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/alan-rusbridger-lifting-lid-oxford-admissions
(edited 6 years ago)
Firstly, well done on smashing your mocks and gaining those predicted grades. From what I've read on this thread, while your chances of getting accepted might be lowered, I'm not saying it'll be completely worthless to apply as if you actually do get those A-Level grades, it would put you in a really good stead. Your post has honestly inspired me; like you, I didn't revise at GCSE (I didn't get in with the wrong crowd, I was just lazy and disorganised so did no revision. Yet I still walked away with an A*, A, 5B's, 2 C's and a D. You're proof that there is definitely hope for me despite my prior disorganisation while I still tend to procrastinate a bit, I'm feeling more confident about my AS Levels this year.
The fact that you've turned your life around and made such exceptional progress shows that you're definitely committed, which would still put you in a good position nonetheless providing you have a good personal statement. I personally think you're more likely to get accepted into Cambridge than Oxford though, due to them being more lenient on GCSE grades according to some of the comments here. Still, I wouldn't say Oxford is completely out of your reach.
All I can say is good luck for exam season. I hope you achieve those grades!
Original post by beccabokka
Tagging in @BrasenoseAdm and @LMH OXFORD who would probably be able to give much better advice than me. But from what I understand the applications process is a holistic one, and with the upward trajectory to exceptional A level grades, you shouldn’t be regarded as a definite no. Improvement is a good thing, so don’t be too worries. Provided the rest of your application is strong, then I’m sure it would be worth applying.
This article that Alan Rusbridger wrote explains the admissions process quite nicel (I’m an LMH diehard, could you tell?:biggrin:)
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/alan-rusbridger-lifting-lid-oxford-admissions

We love LMH diehards :colondollar: You would be perfect ambassador material :wink:

@beccabokka hits the nail on the head here - excellent GCSEs certainly help to make your application more competitive but they are not the be all end all, and just one part of a very holistic process!

Of course I can't give you a definitive answer. But what I would say is that tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels, and you have demonstrated a very impressive upward trajectory.

You also have 5 choices, which is plenty: why not put Oxford down as one of them? The only way to guarantee you don't get a place is by not trying...

:smile:

P.S. I know you say you don't have any extenuating circumstances, but a reminder to anybody looking at this thread: we take them very seriously. So remember to speak to your referee if you think you've underperformed because of mitigating circumstances, and remember that we do look at GCSE grades in context. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied, and also have information on how you have performed compared with other Oxford applicants at similar schools (see further information on how we use contextual data).
(edited 6 years ago)
Helloooo :smile:

So background to this:
During my GCSE period, I underachieved soooo bad. I was hanging around the wrong crowd, and was really set back by my ex 'friends', those people who thought they were hilarious getting detentions all the time, talking back to teachers etc, I was one of those people....

I gave 0 sh*ts about my exams, 0 revision, even came to one hungover and thus resulting me in only receiving BBCCCCDDDE last year which is terrible, after this, I had an epiphany about my life and future but it was still enough to just about get into sixth form and I was sooo thankful, told myself to get a grip, abandoned all those 'friends' who brought me down therefore I really started to pick up the pace, in a result of this i'm now predicted A*A*A by the end of next year for my A-Levels.

I've decided to not apply to any universities this year and to proceed to take a gap year to extend my experiences for English Literature by volunteering at schools and aboard. I have such a passion for Literature, I could go on and on about it and I would love to study at Oxford, but my GCSEs are really making me feel low.

So will Oxford even bother considering me with my horrible GCSE results, me not receiving any A grades let alone any A*s?
Despite me possibly even receiving A*A*A* by the end of next year, having an impressive personal statement, and showing my colossal spike in progress?
Thank you :smile: Emily x

Ps, I go to a state school :smile:

Hi, I think you should perhaps consider Cambridge instead of Oxford because Cambridge care more about your A-Levels rather than your GCSEs. If it is any ray of hope, I am currently at Cambridge University (I'm a first year/fresher) and I got A*A*A*BBCCDE at GCSE and A*A*A* at A-Level. :smile:

Thank you for your Forum post, Emily.

Yes, you would be able to apply post-qualification (we understood your query to be about applying in the next cycle with results in hand).

There have been a few queries similar to this on TSR during the current cycle. We have pointed out that the only subject that sets a mandatory GCSE requirement is Law - candidates have to have studied Maths to GCSE. There is currently no other GCSE requirement.

In practice, candidates apply pre-A-level and GCSEs are (for UK applicants) usually the only record of prior-attainment available. For this reason, they enter into the shortlisting process for most subjects in some way.

We would also point out, however, that Oxford admissions seeks to assess candidates fairly and as individuals. Personal circumstances will, therefore, be taken into account. It is always a help to have these documented in the UCAS reference and so we would suggest keeping in touch with the teacher who is likely to act as your referee next year.

Well done on turning things around at school. We found your brief description of events uplifting and wish you all the best for the rest of your A-level studies.

Brasenose Admissions
With those grades at GCSE let's be honest, the tutors at Oxford will simply be like "next". Take a gap year and re-apply to Oxford if you REALLY want to go there and I am warning you that at Oxford the workload is much much higher than a normal uni. Still do apply to Oxford, you never know they might give you a place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DYoverDX
Maths, Physics and Chemistry. There are quite a few snobby geniuses in my class who seem to understand everything, claiming that "it's so easy". It really does annoy me and it always brings me down ffs. I practically haven't got a life, no friends, no hobbies, nothing. All I seem to do is revise, but even THEN, I don't get anything!
I think the main issue is organisation. I need a system to follow up until A2. How do I balance homework and making notes?

Wow just like me.... I failed my Biology AS and got average grades with Maths and Chem, and I re-took the year. Now I have a prediction of A*A*A (A* in bio and got an A* in the mock) and I'm telling you, it is easy. All it is, is the amount of work you put in. I got bad grades for same reason as the person who started this thread and that reason is the wrong crowd. I'm applying to top unis now for economics and although I may be at a disadvantage, I won't give up. I'm not smart/a genius, I simply work.
Original post by VirgoStrain
Not a single person with less than 6 A*'s got an offer, don't even bother.

Source?

I, for one, got quite low GCSEs (admittedly not as low as the person that started this thread, but I only got 3A*s and 3As, with 4 Bs and a C), and have been told I have a high chance of at least getting an interview.

Thank you for all the positivity on this thread, it's making me feel a lot less worried. I've got a pretty good upward trajectory, considering I'm predicted A*A*A.

Good luck to everyone else with lower GCSEs applying to Oxford and Cambridge!
Hello,
I don't want to be rude, but it is unlikely,
Depending on what you take, the acceptance rate will vary e.g. chemical engineering is 1 out of 12.
HOWEVER it isn't impossible, just make sure you do the best personal statement and try your best at your result.

Good Luck
-Tilly

So background to this:
During my GCSE period, I underachieved soooo bad. I was hanging around the wrong crowd, and was really set back by my ex 'friends', those people who thought they were hilarious getting detentions all the time, talking back to teachers etc, I was one of those people....

I gave 0 sh*ts about my exams, 0 revision, even came to one hungover and thus resulting me in only receiving BBCCCCDDDE last year which is terrible, after this, I had an epiphany about my life and future but it was still enough to just about get into sixth form and I was sooo thankful, told myself to get a grip, abandoned all those 'friends' who brought me down therefore I really started to pick up the pace, in a result of this i'm now predicted A*A*A by the end of next year for my A-Levels.

I've decided to not apply to any universities this year and to proceed to take a gap year to extend my experiences for English Literature by volunteering at schools and aboard. I have such a passion for Literature, I could go on and on about it and I would love to study at Oxford, but my GCSEs are really making me feel low.

So will Oxford even bother considering me with my horrible GCSE results, me not receiving any A grades let alone any A*s?
Despite me possibly even receiving A*A*A* by the end of next year, having an impressive personal statement, and showing my colossal spike in progress?
Thank you :smile: Emily x

Ps, I go to a state school :smile:

Look at Ibz Mo... he got similar GCSE to you and he got A*A*A at A level and went to Cambridge
Original post by HarveySpecter99
Wow just like me.... I failed my Biology AS and got average grades with Maths and Chem, and I re-took the year. Now I have a prediction of A*A*A (A* in bio and got an A* in the mock) and I'm telling you, it is easy. All it is, is the amount of work you put in. I got bad grades for same reason as the person who started this thread and that reason is the wrong crowd. I'm applying to top unis now for economics and although I may be at a disadvantage, I won't give up. I'm not smart/a genius, I simply work.

I'm retaking the year too and hope to end up with really good predicted grades next year like you
Unless you've got amazing predicted grades, do work experience, or did some stuff beyond your GCSE's that went well I think you're being horribly mislead. Yes, you have a good chance of getting an interview, but getting a place? Very unlikely.

Here are the medicine entry stats for oxford. Granted medicine may be competitive but so are most courses. Look at the graphs.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

True - I guess I'm in a better place than most people with lower GCSEs because I'm predicted very high A level results (A*A*A on my form, now all A*s), and I'm doing an EPQ (A* predicted), and I've done work experience at a local library and all that too. I have spoken to an admissions tutor, too, and they said that they do consider all aspects of your application equally, so your GCSEs may very well not matter in the long run. For one thing, that's why they do interviews - to see how you actually think, and if you'll fit into the style of teaching there.

I think the course I'm applying for has a 9% acceptance rate (History and English), so I'm not hopeful of getting a place, but I would be interested in getting an interview, just to see how I do. Once again, just another learning experience. Also, I said this in another thread - but I think it is important to remember that you can get just as good of a degree, if not a better one that suits you more, from any university, not just Oxbridge.
Sure you can. But more recognised unis make it more likely you’ll land a good job.

Again, true, but I think getting a First from Bangor is more valuable than a Third from Oxford. You are true about the jobs - that is, sadly, the world we live in right now. The rest of the Russell Group universities count as recognised universities, too, though, in the same class as Oxford and Cambridge. Places like York, Imperial, Kings and Birmingham are exceedingly well respected in the academic community, for example.

People place Oxford and Cambridge on a pedestal - me myself included, which means they become devastated if they don't get a place. However, I think everything happens for a reason. If you don't get in, you don't get in. I know people who got all A*s in every exam and got rejected from Oxford. In the end, it is the way you learn, as well as your intellect, that gets you a place.
Original post by AOA_
I'm retaking the year too and hope to end up with really good predicted grades next year like you

Thanks, you will do! Just make sure you actually do your homework 100% I'm telling ya, it's one of the best ways to revise!
Whatever uni you think is great for your degree, just make sure you go to one of the more recognised ones at some point. This could be for postgraduate study

Yeah, any Russell Group university at any point looks great on a CV. I'm probably going to try and do my Masters at Oxford if I don't get onto the BA, but I'm content with another good, high-quality teaching Russell Group university for my undergraduate degree.

I was actually speaking to a woman who did her undergraduate degree at Oxford who now lectures at Birmingham for English - just an example of the kind of people who teach at Russell Groups. Just as high a standard as Oxbridge.
Not a single person with less than 6 A*'s got an offer, don't even bother.

What are you basing that on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending