The Student Room Group

I couldn't sit final year exams, what should I put on my CV?

I'm a recent graduate from a top 5 University studying what is widely-regarded as one of the toughest degrees. Unfortunately, due to extenuating circumstances, I was unable to sit my final year examinations.

The University classified my degree as Upper Second Class (2:1). I'm hoping to enter (strategy) consulting, where most companies prefer you to detail your percentage on your CV.

I've calculated my weighted average is 65%. Should I quote this on my CV? So I'd put something like:

2014-2017 University X, BSc (Hons) Degree Y - 2:1 (average 65%, extenuating circumstances)
Original post by personname96

Personally, I'd go with (2.1 aegrotat). Extenuating circumstances is getting somewhat over-used and can mean many different things. As you didn't even sit the exams, then aegrotat is the more conventional award (though often given a Pass rather than 2.1/2.2 etc)
Original post by threeportdrift
Personally, I'd go with (2.1 aegrotat). Extenuating circumstances is getting somewhat over-used and can mean many different things. As you didn't even sit the exams, then aegrotat is the more conventional award (though often given a Pass rather than 2.1/2.2 etc)

Hey, really appreciate the help!

I got awarded the BSc with Honours, since my final year examinations didn't account for more than 30% of my degree. If I was awarded Aegrotat, I would've just chosen to sit them the following year the University decided my classification was robust since I needed like 40-something% in exams to get a 2:1, but almost 80% for a 1st.

My extenuating circumstances was that a close relative suddenly passed away 1 day before my first exam (I proved this with the death certificate, etc.). I had to attend the funeral and ceremony which was in a different country and lasted 2 weeks, where I was the pallbearer, etc. So quite frankly, there was absolutely no way I could sit final year exams, both mentally and physically (since I was in a different country).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by personname96

I'd simply not put a percentage in, it's not likely to be a deciding factor in an otherwise strong CV. Then explain face-to-face if asked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending