The Student Room Group

Horrible, low GCSE results but A*A*A predicted grades... Oxford?

Helloooo :smile:

So background to this:
During my GCSE period, I underachieved soooo bad. I was hanging around the wrong crowd, and was really set back by my ex 'friends', those people who thought they were hilarious getting detentions all the time, talking back to teachers etc, I was one of those people....

I gave 0 sh*ts about my exams, 0 revision, even came to one hungover and thus resulting me in only receiving BBCCCCDDDE last year which is terrible, after this, I had an epiphany about my life and future but it was still enough to just about get into sixth form and I was sooo thankful, told myself to get a grip, abandoned all those 'friends' who brought me down therefore I really started to pick up the pace, in a result of this i'm now predicted A*A*A by the end of next year for my A-Levels.

I've decided to not apply to any universities this year and to proceed to take a gap year to extend my experiences for English Literature by volunteering at schools and aboard. I have such a passion for Literature, I could go on and on about it and I would love to study at Oxford, but my GCSEs are really making me feel low.

So will Oxford even bother considering me with my horrible GCSE results, me not receiving any A grades let alone any A*s?
Despite me possibly even receiving A*A*A* by the end of next year, having an impressive personal statement, and showing my colossal spike in progress?
Thank you :smile: Emily x

Ps, I go to a state school :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I know this is completely unrelated but I feel ****ing stupid.
Reply 2
Original post by DYoverDX
Wow, I know this is completely unrelated but I feel ****ing stupid.

How so?
Probably not as Oxford likes a high proportion of A*s at GCSE. What about Cambridge?
Original post by milktea_xox
How so?

I've just started AS and I think i might fail. How did you get those predicted grades?
Reply 5
I've just started AS and I think i might fail. How did you get those predicted grades?

What subjects? Don't worry, first few months everyone gets Ds and Es, but I did really well in my mock exams this March and June :smile: Also my school adds up your marks in a system for every essay/written work. You can PM me if you need any tips :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
If you do indeed get 3A*s, it's possible to get in with low GCSEs, especially if you're a post A level applicant. Along with the grades if you have good super-curricular activities you'll have a chance :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah i've read up that Cambridge is more lenient on GCSE grades, it's just Oxford is a little closer to home :smile: I'm a little home body x)
What subjects? Don't worry, first few months everyone gets Ds and Es, but I did really well in my mock exams this March and June :smile: Also my school adds up your marks in a system for every essay/written work. You can PM me if you need any tips :smile:

Maths, Physics and Chemistry. There are quite a few snobby geniuses in my class who seem to understand everything, claiming that "it's so easy". It really does annoy me and it always brings me down ffs. I practically haven't got a life, no friends, no hobbies, nothing. All I seem to do is revise, but even THEN, I don't get anything!
I think the main issue is organisation. I need a system to follow up until A2. How do I balance homework and making notes?

It’s a 2 year course, don’t worry about it. I’ve seen loads of people say that they got Us and Es at the start but in the end they got A/A*s
Maths, Physics and Chemistry. There are quite a few snobby geniuses in my class who seem to understand everything, claiming that "it's so easy". It really does annoy me and it always brings me down ffs. I practically haven't got a life, no friends, no hobbies, nothing. All I seem to do is revise, but even THEN, I don't get anything!
I think the main issue is organisation. I need a system to follow up until A2. How do I balance homework and making notes?

Don't let them get to you but I 100% feel how you feel, being the type of person I was at GCSE, I was basically in bottom set everything and when I got to AS, I felt so dumb and an outcast amongst all the top set students in my class but I learnt to challenge that 'anger' as motivated into my studies, it works, prove those snobby sh*ts wrong! The ones who are cocky at the beginning of the year end up doing the worst tbh as they underestimate how hard A Levels are. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Realistically, you have next to no chance unless you have extenuating circumstances (judging by your post you don't).

What subject do you intend to study? Is your heart set on Oxford or have you researched other courses at other universities?

Also I'm also going to take a gap year (hopefully) :smile: but I did apply anyway just in case I change my mind. And I also plan to volunteer and travel abroad during the summer of my gap year
Original post by Baaah
Realistically, you have next to no chance unless you have extenuating circumstances (judging by your post you don't).

What subject do you intend to study? Is your heart set on Oxford or have you researched other courses at other universities?

Also I'm also going to take a gap year (hopefully) :smile: but I did apply anyway just in case I change my mind. And I also plan to volunteer and travel abroad during the summer of my gap year

Yeah no, i have no extenuating circumstances at all :frown:

and Literature! and I have had my heart set on Oxford when I was in year 7, 8 ad 9, I was getting As and A*s but then during year 10&11, got in the wrong crowd and drastically declined in progress but since i've started improving (I know that's not as long as some people but), I've proved to myself that I have potential, just a little gutted i've wasted all that during my GCSE years :frown:
You reckon Cambridge is more lenient?

and ohhhh yeah thats sweeeet, what subject do you study?
i would keep oxford in mind , but have a look around at other high ranking uni's in case you see something you like , i got sort of similar gcse (BBBBCCDE) to be exact , i just started year 12 doing bio chem and history , like you i guess i was hanging out with the wrong people , i'm hoping to improve myself this year and really smash it this year
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i would keep oxford in mind , but have a look around at other high ranking uni's in case you see something you like , i got sort of similar gcse (BBBBCCDE) to be exact , i just started year 12 doing bio chem and history , like you i guess i was hanging out with the wrong people , i'm hoping to improve myself this year and really smash it this year

Great mindset! :smile:

You’re literally like me right now.
Great mindset! :smile:

do u have any tips i can use plz
Reply 17
Yeah no, i have no extenuating circumstances at all :frown:

and Literature! and I have had my heart set on Oxford when I was in year 7, 8 ad 9, I was getting As and A*s but then during year 10&11, got in the wrong crowd and drastically declined in progress but since i've started improving (I know that's not as long as some people but), I've proved to myself that I have potential, just a little gutted i've wasted all that during my GCSE years :frown:
You reckon Cambridge is more lenient?

and ohhhh yeah thats sweeeet, what subject do you study?

Cambridge is definitely more lenient as they place far less emphasis on GCSEs. Have you heard of Ibz Mo? He studies HSPS (now Psychology) at Cambridge and got in with similar grades as yours; I would recommend checking out his youtube channel :smile:

I'm currently studying Maths, Chem, Bio with A*AA predictions and have applied to UCL, Durham, Bath, Nottingham and UEA to study biological natural sciences. However if I do get an offer for UCL, I might decline it for a gap year.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
do u have any tips i can use plz

quality of revision over quantity, find a revision technique that'll help ya if you haven't already. I can't speak for bio or chem but for history, despite the main focus is knowing everything (every god damn thing...) when taking notes, don't take notes on EVERYTHING from the textbook, only take notes on things you know will help you answer a possible exam question, make it short and snippy so you can remember it and you can elaborate on it yourself... or add on to what you've written gradually, so mind maps help!
Original post by Baaah
Cambridge is definitely more lenient as they place far less emphasis on GCSEs. Have you heard of Ibz Mo? He studies HSPS (now Psychology) at Cambridge and got in with similar grades as yours; I would recommend checking out his youtube channel :smile:

I'm currently studying Maths, Chem, Bio with A*AA predictions and have applied to UCL, Durham, Bath, Nottingham and UEA to study biological natural sciences. However if I do get an offer for UCL, I might decline it for a gap year.

Ahh i've been watching him all night, thank you so much for telling me about him! really motivated me and gave me some hope! Thank you so much!

And i wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending