The Student Room Group

Help please! UK student wanting to study in France

SO for the past year or so, I've been contemplating studying in Paris, namely at the UPMC (Université Paris VI) for medicine.
It's very hard to find accurate information about studying there online, as most discussions come from American students or those looking to apply through Erasmus, so I can't determine whether it's a good route to go.
If anyone has any information about applying to French unis (because I think they get their Baccalaureate results at a different time, so I'm not sure how to apply with A levels on time), or if anyone from France could just tell me more about the quality of education I would be so grateful.
For a bit of background, I will be fluent in French by the time I go to uni and really want to experience life in France, so I really need the help to see if I can take this path.
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I think there are gna be a load of unis from France at the Global Education Fair on Sunday so you could prob speak to them and find out directly there. It looks like there are still place to register http://globaleducationfairs.co.uk/
Hi! All the information about applying for PACES (1st common year of healthcare studies, including medicine) are in the Campus France webpage. I have good news for you: there is no selection of students for the PACES because universities are forbid by law to do so. Therefore, the selection comes at the end of the PACES with extremely hard exams (the dropout rate of that 1st year is insanely high). If you survive is because you're actually good and the rest of the journey shouldn't be that hard :wink:
By the way, UPMC (Paris 6) is a very good choice (they are going to merge with Paris-Sorbonne in 2 years so you can actually say that you're a doctor from the Sorbonne), but check as well Paris-Descartes (Paris 5), they are very good as well, perhaps even better in medicine.
Reply 3
Original post by Buntar
Hey I think there are gna be a load of unis from France at the Global Education Fair on Sunday so you could prob speak to them and find out directly there. It looks like there are still place to register http://globaleducationfairs.co.uk/

oh thank you so much! I saw this after the event but I think I'll go to the one in March. Really helpful
Reply 4
Original post by Socrates7
Hi! All the information about applying for PACES (1st common year of healthcare studies, including medicine) are in the Campus France webpage. I have good news for you: there is no selection of students for the PACES because universities are forbid by law to do so. Therefore, the selection comes at the end of the PACES with extremely hard exams (the dropout rate of that 1st year is insanely high). If you survive is because you're actually good and the rest of the journey shouldn't be that hard :wink:
By the way, UPMC (Paris 6) is a very good choice (they are going to merge with Paris-Sorbonne in 2 years so you can actually say that you're a doctor from the Sorbonne), but check as well Paris-Descartes (Paris 5), they are very good as well, perhaps even better in medicine.

Thank you! I've heard about Paris Descartes but didn't really check it properly as I was so set on the UPMC. Do you think the PACES exam will be very hard if French isn't my first language/ will it be hard to keep up?
Thanks for the reply
Wait, how will you be fluent in french? This could severely hinder you if you weren't born bilingual in english/french or learnt french at a very young age. I really don't think A Level french is enough, you will have to deal with complicated concepts and french technical terms.
Original post by Tonkii
Thank you! I've heard about Paris Descartes but didn't really check it properly as I was so set on the UPMC. Do you think the PACES exam will be very hard if French isn't my first language/ will it be hard to keep up?
Thanks for the reply

I think you have to worry more about your knowledge in biology and medicine rather than the language. However, what you can do is to study French for a year before you begin the PACES at a university with a medicine faculty (so you can attend some lectures as an auditor). The IIEF of the University of Strasbourg could be an option.

Beware! A lot of French students apply for Descartes (Paris 5), UPMC (Paris 6), Paris Sud (Paris 11), Diderot (Paris 7), and Paris Nord (Paris 13), in that order.
So, even though legally universities do not have the right to refuse you candidature, the Academy of Paris can place you in another university if the program you look for is overbooked (and believe, they normally are).

Good luck!
And if you survive to the 2nd year, check the "Programme Médecine/Sciences" of PSL Research University. That's the future best university in France, just google it!
Reply 7
Original post by James_Dott
Wait, how will you be fluent in french? This could severely hinder you if you weren't born bilingual in english/french or learnt french at a very young age. I really don't think A Level french is enough, you will have to deal with complicated concepts and french technical terms.

I'm not completely bilingual but I wouldn't go unless I were totally fluent/ almost completely, that might be slightly too much stress!
Reply 8
I think you have to worry more about your knowledge in biology and medicine rather than the language. However, what you can do is to study French for a year before you begin the PACES at a university with a medicine faculty (so you can attend some lectures as an auditor). The IIEF of the University of Strasbourg could be an option.

Beware! A lot of French students apply for Descartes (Paris 5), UPMC (Paris 6), Paris Sud (Paris 11), Diderot (Paris 7), and Paris Nord (Paris 13), in that order.
So, even though legally universities do not have the right to refuse you candidature, the Academy of Paris can place you in another university if the program you look for is overbooked (and believe, they normally are).

Good luck!
And if you survive to the 2nd year, check the "Programme Médecine/Sciences" of PSL Research University. That's the future best university in France, just google it!

Ah ok, so doing that would mean I start the course a year later than others my age? I'll still apply through UCAS so if I don't get into the UPMC or maybe Descartes I'll go to a uni here likely.
What month do courses start there? Because we get a very long holiday after our final exams so I can always try to stay in Paris for a while to up my French skills etc. by immersion.
Also (another question, sorry!) do you study medicine in France?
Thank you so much for your helpful replies by the way!
Original post by Tonkii
Ah ok, so doing that would mean I start the course a year later than others my age? I'll still apply through UCAS so if I don't get into the UPMC or maybe Descartes I'll go to a uni here likely.
What month do courses start there? Because we get a very long holiday after our final exams so I can always try to stay in Paris for a while to up my French skills etc. by immersion.
Also (another question, sorry!) do you study medicine in France?
Thank you so much for your helpful replies by the way!

It's a good idea to apply to UCAS in the UK, it's better to choose between many offers rather than not having any.
In France, courses start at the end of September, but you normally have offers from February to June if you apply as a foreign student through Campus France. There is a Campus France office in London if you want to have more information:
Institut français du Royaume-UniMédiathèque17 Queensberry PlaceLondonUnited KingdomTelephone: + 44 (0)20 7871 3515Fax: + 44 (0)20 7871 3519Email: [email protected]

There are several summer schools if you are interested. But honestly, it's a good idea to spend a year studying French while preparing for the PACES exam. Don't worry about being older than your classmates, many of them are actually repeating the PACES year because they've failed the exams once or twice, some of them also take gap years to work or travel around the world.

And for your final question: no, I don't study medicine, but I'm a foreign student at a Grande école and I have study at a university as well (Sorbonne), so I know the system pretty well.
Reply 10
It's a good idea to apply to UCAS in the UK, it's better to choose between many offers rather than not having any.
In France, courses start at the end of September, but you normally have offers from February to June if you apply as a foreign student through Campus France. There is a Campus France office in London if you want to have more information:
Institut français du Royaume-UniMédiathèque17 Queensberry PlaceLondonUnited KingdomTelephone: + 44 (0)20 7871 3515Fax: + 44 (0)20 7871 3519Email: [email protected]

There are several summer schools if you are interested. But honestly, it's a good idea to spend a year studying French while preparing for the PACES exam. Don't worry about being older than your classmates, many of them are actually repeating the PACES year because they've failed the exams once or twice, some of them also take gap years to work or travel around the world.

And for your final question: no, I don't study medicine, but I'm a foreign student at a Grande école and I have study at a university as well (Sorbonne), so I know the system pretty well.

Thank you so so much for all your help, I'll head to the London office soon for some direction!
Reply 11
So wait, if I am doing IB will the medical universities in France accept me or ask for specific grades in order to enter or ask to pass specific exams?
Original post by Light99
So wait, if I am doing IB will the medical universities in France accept me or ask for specific grades in order to enter or ask to pass specific exams?

They'll accept you. But you have to survive the 1st year's exams in order to continue.
Reply 13
So, if I have maths studies SL in IB will that matter ? Because No Swiss universities accept studies math :frown:
Original post by Tonkii
Thank you so so much for all your help, I'll head to the London office soon for some direction!

Hey!! I want to apply for medicine in France to start in 2018, could I ask you a few questions about your application process? X
But you should be aware that even tho there’s no selection at first, PACES is really really hard and only 13 to 30% of the students (depending ok the universities) succeed and go on the second year. It’s even more competitive in Paris because there are too many students and not everyone gets a place. Besides there are quotas for non-French students. You should be really motivated and determined if you want to study medicine in Paris because it’s hard, some people retake the PACES 3 times (so three whole years) before getting it, or not. Students who go study medicine in France from my countries usually go to smaller cities like Lyon, Lille, Saint-Etienne, Amiens or Besançon to increase their chances. So think about it! Bonne chance ☺️
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by my.med.journey
Hey!! I want to apply for medicine in France to start in 2018, could I ask you a few questions about your application process? X

Are you still looking to apply? I'm applying for september 2018
Original post by arigziegler
Are you still looking to apply? I'm applying for september 2018

Hey! Yes I'm still looking to apply but I don't know where or how!
Original post by my.med.journey
Hey! Yes I'm still looking to apply but I don't know where or how!

Well first of all do you have a french passport? Its complicated if you dont
Original post by arigziegler
Well first of all do you have a french passport? Its complicated if you dont

I have a European one
Do you know much about the DAP form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending