The Student Room Group

How likely am I to get an offer for Cambridge with poor GCSEs?

Straight off the bat I got AABBBBBBCC at GCSE. However since then I have been on massively upward trajectory getting AAB at AS (including full marks in my only modular subject Government and Politics) and I am now predicted A*A*AA (it should have been A*A*A*A but my college fu**ed it up). I also have, as mentioned in my reference, extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs in that I have severe dyspraxia for which I recieved little support with through GCSE and which I did not yet know how to cope with (all mentioned in my reference). Since I developed the proper coping techniques I surged academically. Also I went to a boring state comp for both GCSEs and A-Level so I am not coming from an elitist private school where students consistently get straight A*s. This is for Human, Social and Political sciences.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by srwobree
Straight off the bat I got AABBBBBBCC at GCSE. However since then I have been on massively upward trajectory getting AAB at AS (including full marks in my only modular subject Government and Politics) and I am now predicted A*A*AA (it should have been A*A*A*A but my college fu**ed it up). I also have, as mentioned in my reference, extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs in that I have severe dyspraxia for which I recieved little support with through GCSE and which I did not yet know how to cope with (all mentioned in my reference). Since I developed the proper coping techniques I surged academically. Also I went to a boring state comp for both GCSEs and A-Level so I am not coming from an elitist private school where students consistently get straight A*s. This is for Human, Social and Political sciences.

Have you applied? If so you'll find out for sure in good time. The HSPSAA will help strengthen your application.

Did you also complete the ECF?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you applied? If so you'll find out for sure in good time. The HSPSAA will help strengthen your application.

Did you also complete the ECF?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

I have applied. Also that form is only for really quite extreme circumstances (severe illness, death in the family etc.) which learning difficulties don't fall under
Reply 3
I have applied. Also that form is only for really quite extreme circumstances (severe illness, death in the family etc.) which learning difficulties don't fall under

Nope.

"The ECF should be used where an applicant's education has been seriously disrupted or disadvantaged through health, disability, difficulties with schooling, or challenging personal or family circumstances."
Reply 4

I used it when I applied because I gained a disability during my GCSEs and my school underperformed :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Etoile
I used it when I applied because I gained a disability during my GCSEs and my school underperformed :smile:

In what way?
Reply 6
In what way?

I irreparably broke my elbow so it disrupted my GCSEs because I couldn't write, was missing lessons for operations, physio, etc. And then my school failed its Ofsted in my GCSE year as well. But if your education has been hampered by your dyspraxia I think you would be eligible to use it, because the form is basically for explaining factors that affected you but not other candidates - so not receiving reasonable adjustments is a legit reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending