The Student Room Group

Light or Darkness, which wins?? Once and for all.

I have been thinking about this on and off in the past 2 weeks and it's killing me.

Now I know there are probably lots or articles and stuff around the internet discussing this but I want to find out with just using logic and common sense, and don't want to search the web.

So which is more powerful, Light or Darkness.

An argument for light is that it can actually "remove" darkness, when you go into a dark room, you switch on the light, the room gets lit up/the darkness is gone, so the light "destroyed" the darkness, that's one point for light. But in the other hand, you need a light source to have light, when it comes to darkness you don't need anything, it is just there, it just exist, at night, a forest is dark because darkness is just there it doesn't need anything to exists. So we are 1-1.

What arguments do you have? Please don't look anything up, try to use your brain :wink:
Huh?

Well natural light is best because then you won't even need electric light :u:
Reply 2
Original post by Salt Queen
Huh?

Well natural light is best because then you won't even need electric light :u:

Natural light? That is the Sun, take away the Sun and you are left with...

Also if the Sun will always exists (it won't), then yes you don't need electric light, but for darkness as well, you don't need anything...

Comes back to my first point, you need a light source for Light, but not for Darkness.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reda2
Natural light? That is the Sun, take away the Sun and you are left with...

Also if the Sun will always exists (it won't), then yes you don't need electric light, but for darkness as well, you don't need anything...

Comes back to my first point, you need a light source for Light, but not for Darkness.

What? You need light to see in the dark...You want to walk around in the dark all the time? With the sun always up as opposed to it always being night, you wont even experience the dark. :dontknow:
Reply 4
What? You need light to see in the dark...You want to walk around in the dark all the time? With the sun always up as opposed to it always being night, you wont even experience the dark. :dontknow:

Valid points, but I'm not talking generally, I am talking in a detailed level, the only reason we have light on Earth is the Sun, that takes away all the arguments for Light in terms of that.

Maybe I should have been clearer, it's not in perspective of people, in perspective of light and darkness itself which wins, not which is more preferable to humans or most useful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Neither. There needs to be a balance
Original post by Reda2
Valid points, but I'm not talking generally, I am talking in a detailed level, the only reason we have light on Earth is the Sun, that takes away all the arguments for Light in terms of that.

Maybe I should have been clearer, it's not in perspective of people, in perspective of light and darkness itself which wins, not which is more preferable to humans or most useful.

Oh. I'm sorry. 😓

Then I'm afraid I don't get it. I'm not into philosophy or science.
Reply 7
Oh. I'm sorry. 😓

Then I'm afraid I don't get it. I'm not into philosophy or science.

That's what I thought :wink: Thanks for your replies anyway. Take care.
Reply 8
I like that idea but back it up.. why do you say that? What made you say that.

However I still want to arrive at an answer, I will not leave this to a draw lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reda2
That's what I thought :wink: Thanks for your replies anyway. Take care.

Excuse you?
Reply 10
Excuse you?

I didn't mean what I said in a negative way... if it did come across as rude, I apologise :smile:
Original post by Reda2
I like that idea but back it up.. why do you say that? What made you say that.

However I still want to arrive at an answer, I will not leave this to a draw lol

This world works in pairs, sun and moon, day and night, good and bad, light and dark.
Everything, with balance, is perfect. Remove one from the equation, it hits an extreme.

Yh you go ahead and brain this out lol
Original post by Reda2
I didn't mean what I said in a negative way... if it did come across as rude, I apologise :smile:

😤.
Reply 13
Cool

In your first sentence, "This world works in pairs, sun and moon, day and night, good and bad, light and dark."

The bold statements, they are only there because of the Sun, the moon is there because the Sun was there billion years ago and the moon with other planets started orbiting it, and of course you only have day and night because of the Sun.

My point is at some point the Sun will die, as calculated in 5 billion years, so when it goes, you won't have your balance, day and night etc. So what you said is not valid then. There is no balance. Also you mentioned the "World" has balance, Light and Darkness really don't care about the world lol.

And for the Good and Bad, that's just a human thing, doesn't really matter/effect for this question.

So what else you got.

This is nice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Without light no one would need the concept of darkness. It would become insignificant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reda2
Cool

In your first sentence, "This world works in pairs, sun and moon, day and night, good and bad, light and dark."

The bold statements, they are only there because of the Sun, the moon is there because the Sun was there billion years ago and the moon with other planets started orbiting it, and of course you only have day and night because of the Sun.

My point is at some point the Sun will die, as calculated in 5 billion years, so when it goes, you won't have your balance, day and night etc. So what you said is not valid then. There is no balance. Also you mentioned the "World" has balance, Light and Darkness really don't care about the world lol.

And for the Good and Bad, that's just a human thing, doesn't really matter/effect for this question.

So what else you got.

This is nice.

Heaven and hell
Reply 16
Original post by MoJo-JoJo
Without light no one would need the concept of darkness. It would become insignificant.

You might be on to something here...

I'm thinking...

Still thinking...

But isn't that for most things? For example. There is no death if there is no life.

In that case it does indicate that light wins but I don't want to stop at a general answer which applies to other things.
Reply 17
We don't have any proof of that existing, it may or may not be true that there is a Heavan and Hell. But thats a good one.

Quick Reply

Latest