The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

2018 Applicants - Ask us Anything!

Hi guys

We know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2018 applications, and some of you will have already received offers, so here's a thread so you can ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.

From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away! We will be checking this thread most weekdays so hopefully you wont have to wait too long for a response.

Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Yoni and Carole) :dancing2:

Scroll to see replies

Hi Ralf777,

Both the MEng and BEng are condisered equally so it doesn't matter which one you apply for.

Carole :smile:

Original post by Ralf777
Hey!

I'm just finalising my UCAS app for Mechanical Engineering - I realise swapping between MEng/BEng is totally fine once at the uni but..

Does it make a difference to my chances at the application stage whether I pick the MEng or BEng? Or are all applicants for both 'lumped into one pile'?

Cheers!
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Hi,

I'm considering applying for economics at this university. Is the first year of the course a foundation year and if so, Is it possible to skip the first year of the course?
Hi Jeff,

Yes, depending on your grades you can enter in either first or second year. If you have a look at the course on our website, you will see the requirements for 1st/2nd year entry.

If you opt for year two entry you still be able to experience all the fun of being a fresher, the accommodation guarantee still applies and you'll be able to complete your degree in three years.

Carole

Original post by MY_NAME_IS_JEFF1
Hi,

I'm considering applying for economics at this university. Is the first year of the course a foundation year and if so, Is it possible to skip the first year of the course?
Reply 4
Hi i am applying and my appication should be sent soon once my college have sorted out references etc.... will i have to wait till january/febuarary for a reply
Hi,
I have received conditional offer for construction project management.I wanted to know about more course and graduate prospects for Indians students.

Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi guys

We know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2018 applications, and some of you will have already received offers, so here's a thread so you can ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.

From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away! We will be checking this thread most weekdays so hopefully you wont have to wait too long for a response.

Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Yoni and Carole) :dancing2:
Hi Luke\g,

What course are you applying for? I can check the expected response time with the School.

Carole

Original post by Luke\g
Hi i am applying and my appication should be sent soon once my college have sorted out references etc.... will i have to wait till january/febuarary for a reply
Reply 7
Hi Luke\g,

What course are you applying for? I can check the expected response time with the School.

Carole

Hi am applying for economics

Cheers
Luke
Original post by Luke\g
Hi am applying for economics

Cheers
Luke

Hi Luke,

If you apply for a funded place from Scotland or the EU, your application will be considered alongside all others after the 15th January deadline and you can expect to have an answer no later than the end of March.

If you're applying from the rest of the UK or overseas then we aim to respond to your application within 10 working days.

If you have further questions, you can also get in touch with our undergraduate admissions team at [email protected].

Thanks a lot and best of luck with your application!

Daniel,

School of Social Sciences Admissions, Heriot-Watt Uni
Reply 9
As we are allowed to work for 20hr/w Can we find jobs easily on heriot watt campus because it is far from city ?
Hi I've applied for Chemical Engineering from the UK but am classed as an international applicant. I sent my UCAS application off on 12/10 but haven't heard anything back, not even an acknowledgement email. Is this normal?
Original post by Adii6655
As we are allowed to work for 20hr/w Can we find jobs easily on heriot watt campus because it is far from city ?

Hi there,

There are lots of jobs on campus, some students work in the students union shop or cafe or bar. We actually employ students to help with our larger events such as open days too so you can find work on campus.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Heriot Watt University
Hi there,

There are lots of jobs on campus, some students work in the students union shop or cafe or bar. We actually employ students to help with our larger events such as open days too so you can find work on campus.

Cheers,
Keir

Does the union pay living wage and guarantee flexibility around teaching hours?
Original post by Rajath8raj
Hi,
I have received conditional offer for construction project management.I wanted to know about more course and graduate prospects for Indians students.

Heyy plz mail me

I have also recived conditional letter for construction management
Original post by Trinculo
Does the union pay living wage and guarantee flexibility around teaching hours?

Hi there,

I just phoned the students union and they pay the minimum wage for students working in the bar and cafe etc.

The university is a living wage employer however so if you were working for the university as a stdent ambassador or in one of our catering outlets then you would be paid the living wage.

All jobs that i know of on the campus work around your timetable and give you the flexibility for your studies. We understand that your studies will always come first so there is a good understanding that your work comes second.

Hope this has helped,

Cheers,
Keir
Heyy plz mail me

I have also recived conditional letter for construction management

Congrats on the offer!!! :banana:

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
HI there, do people tend to spend nights out in Edinburgh city? If so how do they usually get there?
Can we get job placement after Msc construction management ? For international students .
Can you give placement details of last batches.
Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Tom,

Edinburgh has a fantastic bus service which includes night buses. The N25 bus runs every half hour from the city centre right onto the campus. The last bus leaves the city centre at about 4am. You can either buy a 'Day and Night ticket', which is valid from 6pm to 4.30am and costs £3.50 or a night ticket for £3. Alternatively, if there's a big group of you, you could split the cost of a taxi or Uber back to campus.

We held a Facebook Live last week and our students chatted about nights out to Edinburgh, getting home after, etc. You can watch this on our Facebook page. It's called 'Ask our students (almost) anything!'.

This Wednesday we are organising an online chat where you get to talk to other students about what it is like to study in Edinburgh. Feel free to sign up: www.hw.ac.uk/postgrad

Cheers,
Yoni

Original post by tom68686868
HI there, do people tend to spend nights out in Edinburgh city? If so how do they usually get there?
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you for your question. I will ask my colleague to come back to you with more details. In the meantime, I'd like to suggest to sign up for the online chat that we organises Wednesday 8th November (2-4pm GMT). You can ask our academics and students all you want to know. For more information, see www.hw.ac.uk/postgrad

Hi Tom,

This Wednesday we are organising an online chat where you get to talk to other students about what it is like to study in Edinburgh. Feel free to sign up: www.hw.ac.uk/postgrad

Can we get job placement after Msc construction management ? For international students .
Can you give placement details of last batches.
Thank you

Quick Reply