The Student Room Group

Second degree

Hello,

I need some advice please about applying for a second degree. I already have a degree in social work but I would like to study midwifery. My understanding was that if you are applying for a healthcare degree you would be entitled to full financial support.

The 2017/2018 Student Finance England guidance 'student finance for new NHS students starting a course on or after 1 August 2017' states that:

'Full financial support is available if the student already has a degree but they’re starting a pre-registration nursing, midwifery or Allied Health Professional course (excluding dental hygiene and dental therapy, postgraduate courses and designated part-time courses) in England on or after 1 August 2017. EU students will be able to get a Tuition Fee Loan only from us.'

I spoke to someone over the phone at student finance who said that I would not be eligible.

Please can you clarify what the correct answer is please? I have began my application on the basis that I would be able to get full financial support.

Thank you
Original post by kf007
Hello,

I need some advice please about applying for a second degree. I already have a degree in social work but I would like to study midwifery. My understanding was that if you are applying for a healthcare degree you would be entitled to full financial support.

The 2017/2018 Student Finance England guidance 'student finance for new NHS students starting a course on or after 1 August 2017' states that:

'Full financial support is available if the student already has a degree but they’re starting a pre-registration nursing, midwifery or Allied Health Professional course (excluding dental hygiene and dental therapy, postgraduate courses and designated part-time courses) in England on or after 1 August 2017. EU students will be able to get a Tuition Fee Loan only from us.'

I spoke to someone over the phone at student finance who said that I would not be eligible.

Please can you clarify what the correct answer is please? I have began my application on the basis that I would be able to get full financial support.

Thank you

Hi kf007,

What you have read is correct. And apologies if you were advised incorrectly on the phone.

Even with the changes to the funding available from academic year 2017/18 courses designated as NHS courses will remain as exceptions to the previous study rules.

This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 2
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi kf007,

What you have read is correct. And apologies if you were advised incorrectly on the phone.

Even with the changes to the funding available from academic year 2017/18 courses designated as NHS courses will remain as exceptions to the previous study rules.

This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for confirming. My heart stopped for a minute! Can I just double check that this is the case regardless if you gave studied a bachelors degree and now want to undertake another in healthcare?

Kate
Original post by kf007
Hi Stuart,

Thank you for confirming. My heart stopped for a minute! Can I just double check that this is the case regardless if you gave studied a bachelors degree and now want to undertake another in healthcare?

Kate

Hi Kate,

Correct. In fact, the rule still applies when a student holds a qualification higher than their new course, for example a Masters qualification.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 4
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Kate,

Correct. In fact, the rule still applies when a student holds a qualification higher than their new course, for example a Masters qualification.

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks Stuart
Original post by kf007
Hello,

Thank you

As long as you are living in England and studying in England, from 2017, new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional students may no longer be eligible to receive the NHS bursary; this means that these students can apply to receive full support from student finance instead.

At present any student who holds an equivalent or higher level of qualification they would only be eligible to receive the Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan

However, from 17/18 they will be eligible to receive full SFE funding on any of these courses and any years of previous study will be disregarded.

NHS designated courses are also ELQ exception courses. This rule still applies when a student holds a qualification higher than their new course, for example a Masters qualification.

Previous study would be disregarded for all students studying a pre-registry Nursing, Midwifery and AHP course.

DfE have now confirmed that there is one exception to this. This is when the customer is already registered in the healthcare profession that they are looking to study.

Thanks Rona
Reply 6
Original post by Rona SFE
As long as you are living in England and studying in England, from 2017, new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional students may no longer be eligible to receive the NHS bursary; this means that these students can apply to receive full support from student finance instead.

At present any student who holds an equivalent or higher level of qualification they would only be eligible to receive the Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan

However, from 17/18 they will be eligible to receive full SFE funding on any of these courses and any years of previous study will be disregarded.

NHS designated courses are also ELQ exception courses. This rule still applies when a student holds a qualification higher than their new course, for example a Masters qualification.

Previous study would be disregarded for all students studying a pre-registry Nursing, Midwifery and AHP course.

DfE have now confirmed that there is one exception to this. This is when the customer is already registered in the healthcare profession that they are looking to study.

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona,

Thanks for this information.

So can I just clarify that moving forward from this year I would be eligible for full funding support as the NHS bursary is no longer available regardless of my previous degree qualification?

Sorry I know I am repeating myself but I just want to get everything right.

Thank you
Kate
Original post by kf007
Hi Rona,

Thanks for this information.

So can I just clarify that moving forward from this year I would be eligible for full funding support as the NHS bursary is no longer available regardless of my previous degree qualification?

Sorry I know I am repeating myself but I just want to get everything right.

Thank you
Kate

Hi Kate,

We can only advise you on the current funding rules, we cannot advise if they may change in future academic years.

Both Stuart and I can only advise on the level of support available, under the current rules for the 2017 academic year.

Courses designated as NHS courses will remain as ELQ exception courses.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending