The Student Room Group

Parsons Green Tube station stabbing: One dead, two hurt

A man has died and two others have been injured in a stabbing outside Parsons Green Tube station in London.

A 20-year-old man died in the stabbing, which is not being treated as terror-related. The two injured people were taken to hospital and one was subsequently arrested. The arrested man was taken to a west London police station for questioning.

One man remains in hospital although his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Parsons Green Lane and the station were closed by police and cordons put in place. The station has since been re-opened.

Source: BBC News
This is what get me. As soon as you find out it is not terror related there is relief. This makes no sense though. Stabbings happen on a regular basis but Islamist terror attacks exist on a level above in terms of response to them.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
This is what get me. As soon as you find out it is not terror related there is relief. This makes no sense though. Stabbings happen on a regular basis but Islamist terror attacks exist on a level above in terms of response to them.

Raise your observation with the BBC.

I have heard they treat all comments and complaints of the editorial policy of their news output with great seriousness. :rofl2:
No doubt the perpetrator will be revealed to a victim of 'mental health' issues and immediately dismissed. Had he been of any Middle Eastern nationality we would have another 'war on terror' ordeal to go through.
Original post by shadowdweller
A man has died and two others have been injured in a stabbing outside Parsons Green Tube station in London.

A 20-year-old man died in the stabbing, which is not being treated as terror-related. The two injured people were taken to hospital and one was subsequently arrested. The arrested man was taken to a west London police station for questioning.

One man remains in hospital although his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Parsons Green Lane and the station were closed by police and cordons put in place. The station has since been re-opened.

Source: BBC News

So? People get stabbed all the time. Why would it even be thought of as terrorism unless it was a Muslim, shouting it was for allah etc or there were lots of victims like London Bridge
Original post by RivalPlayer
Just another day in the cesspit.

That 'cesspit' is the economic powerhouse of the UK, the UK's political, financial, cultural, media capital and the world's foremost global city where more people want to live in than any other place in the world. The only place in the UK that means the UK is still somewhat relevant in the global scene, and also one of the safest cities in the world with a murder rate of less than 2 per 100000 people per year
(edited 6 years ago)
You keep telling yourself that.

LOOL dont get rude dont you have a farm to plough or something?
Seriously, why would anyone want to live in London at all? I really don't see the appeal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
it's literally the best city in the world imo, come live here and experience it yourself if you can. There's so much to do, so many opportunities when it comes to careers, so many interesting people from all over the UK and the world, the transport is fantastic, the city is very safe (avoid Brixton and east London which aren't as interesting anyway), it has plenty of green spaces, its got some beautiful architecture (although Cambridge and bath are better in that area) the city is a world leader in the fields of finance, media, marketing, advertising, business, entrepreneurship, politics and a lot of other fields. There's no other place in the UK that can compare to it on any level really.

There's bangin raves as well, plus drugs r bare cheap
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Seriously, why would anyone want to live in London at all? I really don't see the appeal.

it's literally the best city in the world imo, come live here and experience it yourself if you can. There's so much to do, so many opportunities when it comes to careers, so many interesting people from all over the UK and the world, the transport is fantastic, the city is very safe (avoid Brixton and east London which aren't as interesting anyway), it has plenty of green spaces, its got some beautiful architecture (although Cambridge and bath are better in that area) the city is a world leader in the fields of finance, media, marketing, advertising, business, entrepreneurship, politics and a lot of other fields. There's no other place in the UK that can compare to it on any level really. The only places in the world that come even remotely close are NYC, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo perhaps
No I don't. I live in London. Take your ghetto talk somewhere else.

Don't try and belittle me.
Yes...gloss over the growing number of acid attacks, Islamic terrorism, stabbings, muggings, international gangs, gun crime, toxic air, fragmented communities, incongruous architecture, and horrible overcrowding. Keep peddling the lie that London is "the greatest city on earth". I'm sure the Japanese folk in Tokyo are terribly envious of London's vibrant diversity.

Crime is not a big issue in London. It might be more dangerous than for example Bath or Cambridge but it's still a very safe city compared to Paris, most major US cities and even Toronto. The chance of you being a victim of a serious crime is very small and the vast majority of Londoners do not experience any crime. Gun crime, knife crime and murders are a small problem concentrated in areas you wouldn't want to live in anyway. And these problems exist in other major cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham. It's funny to see people overstate the crime levels in London like it's a war zone, it's not. The statistics show that crime is not a huge problem in London has overall decreased since the 90s. It does have more crime than Tokyo, but the chances of you being a victim of crime in either city are tiny.

London has world class architecture. Of course there's ugly crap like the Walkie Talkie building and the cheese grater but we also have St Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, and plenty of beautiful architecture.

Terrorism, again, you're very unlikely to be a victim of terrorism while in London. It can happen in other parts of the UK, too.

And I'm pretty sure Tokyo has a much worse problem with overcrowding. In fact, London is one of the least dense major world cities. And yes, Tokyo has nowhere near the amount of diversity London has. People from abroad just don't want to live there as much as they want to live in London, New York, Paris.

And for pollution, any major city of London's size and density is going to have similar levels of air pollution. NYC, Tokyo, Beijing, Paris all have problems with air pollution.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Yes...gloss over the growing number of acid attacks, Islamic terrorism, stabbings, muggings, international gangs, gun crime, toxic air, fragmented communities, incongruous architecture, and horrible overcrowding. Keep peddling the lie that London is "the greatest city on earth". I'm sure the Japanese folk in Tokyo are terribly envious of London's vibrant diversity.

Having lived in Fulham, I can happily testify that I've never felt remotely unsafe in it. Unfortunately things like this happen everywhere.

Yes, because you're poor and live in south london. That's your problem. Obviously if you live in the worst areas of an urban area you're going this is your perception.
Lots of stabbings happen in London. Nothing to see here, move along.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/youth-violence-and-murder-soar-in-london-new-crime-figures-show-as-man-is-stabbed-to-death-for-his-a3660541.html
A charity worker was stabbed to death on his doorstep for an iPhone 7 a few days ago in Maida Vale - where homes sell for over a million pounds. But I suppose that's an area where people wouldn't want to live anyway.

Crime is most certainly a big problem in London, and it is growing. Robbery, knife crime, and rapes: it's all going up.

But keep your head buried in the sand - diversity is strength and all that.

We've already had several terror attacks in the city this year and there will be more to come. The point is it's not going to get better: London will always be at the top of the terror target list.

Yes, Tokyo is crowded, but it is clean and its population is polite and ordered. London has filthy air and the streets and roads - with the exception of a few areas - are poorly maintained. The numerous societal problems introduced by an endless stream of vibrant diversity hasn't made the city a better place. The Economist recently released a Safest Cities Index, and London isn't even in the top ten.

Murders like the one in Maida Vale are very rare. That's why it made front page headlines in the evening standard. Crime is not a big problem here when compared to other cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool which have similar levels of crime, and NYC or Paris, which have more crime. The chance of you being killed in London is tiny. The chance of you being robbed in London is unlikely. Take normal safety precautions and most likely you will be safe. And it's worth noting that much of the violent crimes either happen between people who know each other or during drunken nights out. People vastly overstate how dangerous London is- its extremely safe, and the reason our crime rate seems to be higher is because police do an excellent job of recording crimes and some 'violent' crimes here aren't always considered violent in others.

We've had terror attacks, yes, but if you look at how quickly the police respond and at how many plots get foiled, it's clear that Britain is well prepared to deal with the threat of terror, probably better than any other country in the world.

And diversity is London's strength. London is Britain's only true global city. The reason London is a big player on the world stage is because we attract talent from around the world and, not only that, but we are open to accepting people from other countries and other cultures. If London was just full of British folk without foreign talent and foreign investment it would never be as successful as it is today. The vast majority of Londoners are very happy with our diversity, it seems to be the little englanders who don't even live in London that tend to have a problem with it.
(edited 6 years ago)
And there it is...the old "crime's up because there's better recording" line trotted out once again to explain any uptick in criminality. Keep downplaying the problems introduced by diversity - that's what people like you do. And by the way, I'm not a little Englander who doesn't live in London - I've lived in the city my entire life.

Well you're an exception and honestly if you really hate diversity that much why don't you go somewhere like Dorset, London might not be the right place for you. Diversity is part of what makes London great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending