The Student Room Group

When will it be processed?

I started a thread some weeks ago but, alas, I can't find it.

I was a late finance applicant due to going through clearing (applied mid-August) and I am still waiting for my application to be processed. On 9th September I received a letter, dated 6th September, asking for change of name deeds however, as my surname is a name I took when my mum remarried almost 30 years ago, no such thing existed so I provided a statement of the fact instead. This was done the day I received the letter and sent 1st class recorded delivery.

2 weeks ago I phoned to check progress and was told that the application would be processed on 12th October. At the close of the day there was no update so I phoned again, only to be told it would be 13th. The same happened on the 13th and was told it would be "some time next week". This is really beginning to stress me out, the uni have asked twice about their tuition fees (my course started on 6th September) and I'm beginning to feel this will become a massive problem.

Can anyone please tell me 1) why it's taking soooooooo long and 2) when I can expect some sort of idea as to how much, if anything, I am entitled to in the way of funding so I can start planning my finances?!

Thank you 😁
This doesn't sound good. I was told mine would processed later this week. Did they explain why it wasn't processed already?
Reply 2
No they didn't say, other than it takes 6 weeks from the last piece of evidence received.....that in itself is a contradiction from what I have been told, I was told it was 6 weeks in total and the clock doesn't reset when new evidence is sent. I'm finding this so stressful, which I'm sure everyone will understand is something I could do without as I'm trying to get my head around both degree theory and placement (I'm doing adult nursing).
Original post by Sacha35
I started a thread some weeks ago but, alas, I can't find it.

I was a late finance applicant due to going through clearing (applied mid-August) and I am still waiting for my application to be processed. On 9th September I received a letter, dated 6th September, asking for change of name deeds however, as my surname is a name I took when my mum remarried almost 30 years ago, no such thing existed so I provided a statement of the fact instead. This was done the day I received the letter and sent 1st class recorded delivery.

2 weeks ago I phoned to check progress and was told that the application would be processed on 12th October. At the close of the day there was no update so I phoned again, only to be told it would be 13th. The same happened on the 13th and was told it would be "some time next week". This is really beginning to stress me out, the uni have asked twice about their tuition fees (my course started on 6th September) and I'm beginning to feel this will become a massive problem.

Can anyone please tell me 1) why it's taking soooooooo long and 2) when I can expect some sort of idea as to how much, if anything, I am entitled to in the way of funding so I can start planning my finances?!

Thank you 😁

Hi Sacha35,

The estimated timescales we give are updated on a daily basis and based on the workload in front of the relevant teams that process the different kinds of information. This would explain the varying dates you've had.

Can I ask when you sent your information? And did any of the advisors confirm when it was received?

Thanks,

Stuart
Reply 4
I sent the information the day I received the letter, I posted it 'signed for and the tracker shows it was signed for on the 12th but SFE are claiming it was received on the 14th.
Original post by Sacha35
I sent the information the day I received the letter, I posted it 'signed for and the tracker shows it was signed for on the 12th but SFE are claiming it was received on the 14th.

Hi Sacha35,

The 14th may have been the day it was scanned, rather than the day it was received. You wouldn't see any updates in your online account on the day of processing.

Once it has been processed the information is uploaded to the system and any updates are available to view in your online student finance account the next working day.

Based on the current timescales and the dates provided by yourself I would expect you to be able to see updates from the 17th of October.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 6
Thank you Stuart, I'll stop harassing for a couple of days then! It's just so frustrating, I need to start getting my finances in order and I can't do that until I know the amount that has been approved. I also need to get my tuition fees sorted as it's really starting to worry me.
Reply 7
Sorry, me again. I've just checked online and my application has been processed 🎉🎉🎉 how do I now go about getting the uni to confirm attendance and request their payment? Do they have my customer number or is a new number generated??
Original post by Sacha35
Sorry, me again. I've just checked online and my application has been processed 🎉🎉🎉 how do I now go about getting the uni to confirm attendance and request their payment? Do they have my customer number or is a new number generated??

Hi Sacha,

That's a bit of good news :smile:

Check with your university which department deals with sending the confirmation to us. They'll hopefully be able to send that off to us the same day you make them aware that they can do so.

Your customer reference number will remain the same.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 9
All done....thank god for that 😁
Original post by Sacha35
All done....thank god for that 😁

Hi Sacha,

Great stuff. Good luck with your course.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 11
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Sacha,

Great stuff. Good luck with your course.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, last questions I promise!! How long does it take for the maintenance payment to reach my bank account? The payment schedule for the grant payment states the 20th October however the loan payment states 4th September (I'm guess this is due to the late application?).....will they both come together?
Original post by Sacha35
Hi Stuart, last questions I promise!! How long does it take for the maintenance payment to reach my bank account? The payment schedule for the grant payment states the 20th October however the loan payment states 4th September (I'm guess this is due to the late application?).....will they both come together?

Hi Sacha,

If the last thing we need to be able to release payments to you is for the university to confirm your registration then the payments would be clear in your bank account within 3-5 working days of us releasing them.

It can take up to 2 working days for the payment system to update with the confirmation. Both payments should be released at the same time.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 13
Thank you!! I have had my attendance confirmed and had an email confirming the confirmation so, as far as I'm aware, that's it!

looking at approx monday/Tuesday then?
Reply 14
Morning Stuart (or whoever!) I've just checked my account and I've only been paid the grant part of my finance, not the loan? Would there be a reason for this? Do they normally come as 2 separate payments??
Original post by Sacha35
Morning Stuart (or whoever!) I've just checked my account and I've only been paid the grant part of my finance, not the loan? Would there be a reason for this? Do they normally come as 2 separate payments??

Hi Sacha35,

If you check your online account and your loan payment is blocked, the most likely reason is that we are awaiting the validation of your National Insurance Number.

If this is the first year that you are applying for a loan from Student Finance, there is one final process that takes place.

Before your first loan payment can be released, we will need to validate your National Insurance Number with the Department of Work and Pensions.

This is a normal process for every new student, it is sent the first Wednesday after your application is approved and will be returned the following Wednesday.

Once returned as valid, you can be confident that your loan payment will automatically be unblocked and the payment submitted, it will take three to five working days for a bank transfer.

We can release your grant payment as is not dependant on your National Insurance Number, as it is non repayable, as long as you complete the academic year and have not been overpaid.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending