The Student Room Group

Maths problem

I need help with this problem.

3 people want to buy something that costs £30. They each give £10 and send a friend to the shop to buy the item.
When the friend gets to the shop the item is on sale and now only costs £25. So he has £5 change.
Now £5 is tricky to divide between 3 people, so the friend decides to keep £2 and give £1 each back to the 3 people.

So he’s given each person £1 back which means they’ve each only given £9 towards the item. 9x3=27. The friend kept £2. 27+2=29. Where has the other pound gone?
Original post by Ccilliers
I need help with this problem.

3 people want to buy something that costs £30. They each give £10 and send a friend to the shop to buy the item.
When the friend gets to the shop the item is on sale and now only costs £25. So he has £5 change.
Now £5 is tricky to divide between 3 people, so the friend decides to keep £2 and give £1 each back to the 3 people.

So he’s given each person £1 back which means they’ve each only given £9 towards the item. 9x3=27. The friend kept £2. 27+2=29. Where has the other pound gone?

What do you think?

"Now £5 is tricky to divide between 3 people, so the friend decides to keep £2 and give £1 each back to the 3 people."
Reply 2
I’m not sure why you’ve highlighted that part? I’m aware that 2+3=5. But by giving the £3 back to the people means they only paid £9 each. 9x3=27. Which means £3 left over. And if the friend kept £2 then there’s £1 unaccounted for? And I can’t figure out how to make it add up from that perspective?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ccilliers
I’m not sure why you’ve highlighted that part? I’m aware that 2+3=5. But by giving the £3 back to the people means they only paid £9 each. 9x3=27. Which means £3 left over. And if the friend kept £2 then there’s £1 unaccounted for? And I can’t figure out how to make it add up from that perspective?

The £2 is part of the £27, not part of the £3 that was left over.

Quick Reply

Latest