The Student Room Group

An I the only one

Who feels uncomfortable in the gym I just feel like everyone is looking at me and judging me it’s so bad I don’t go I however have no problem in the swimming pool.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Who feels uncomfortable in the gym I just feel like everyone is looking at me and judging me it’s so bad I don’t go I however have no problem in the swimming pool.

You won't be the only one as its common people get anxious.

The good thing is in reality no one is interested in you in the slightest as they are more interested in themselves. You are all there for the same reason and if anything people are supportive.

My tips are

1. Find a you where you dont feel intimidated.
2. Get a routine as knowing what you are doing helps you feel less self conscious or take a class.
3. Headphones and music is an essential distraction.
4. Consider a different time of ay when its less busy.
5. Stick it out and you will start to feel at home.
6. Start with short sessions i.e half an hour
7. Swimming is excellent and if thats all you do, then you can do some dumb bell or body weight exercises at home.

Dont be put off its just general anxiety and you need to push through because in reality nobody is looking at you.
Try not going when it's busy - sometimes I will walk out of the gym if it's packed - I hate having to talk to people or fight for pieces or equipment. I just don't have the energy for it.

Also helps to have a structured routine so you can go from one thing to the next without that awkward bit in between.

I always find the changing rooms much worse than the actual gym - at least in the gym I can put music in and ignore what's going on around me.
Original post by jonathanemptage

just remember, youre probably too small to see :colondollar:
Reply 4
Yeah, the gym is a strange environment... Don't like it at all. Was forced to go for a while for athletic training for sailing, it was fine since we had a private area, but even passing through the common areas and changing rooms... it was weird.
You're experiencing spotlight syndrome, nobody is looking at you.

The first response you got was good advice... Headphones in, focus on your training and try and avoid times when the gym is rammed.
Consistency and application will lead to success
noone is a looking at you, I felt the same way when I started 6 years ago. Just keep on trucking and you'll be fine
Reply 7
The first advice is great! Furthermore, I started to worry less about other people when I got a gym buddy - since we were focused on each other, I didn't have time to stress about being noticed. Just keep at it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest