The Student Room Group

eating 180g of doritoes a day

can someone read the context and tell me how bad this is, if not short term then long term?
ive been doing this a while (maybe about a month). sometimes i only eat half a bag. i'd say 0.85 * 30 = 26 bags a month. im not large (yet, in fact i havent rly noticed a difference in my body but it has been over a long duration that i dont notice significant changes, and its a short duration talking long term), and i also dont eat an awful amount throughout my day. i have breakfast, cereal (not the healthiest), maybe a snack throughout the day like homemade sandwiches/toasties/flatbread, in the evening ill have a reasonably large dinner, usually towards the night a bag of doritos since theyre yummy and i guess they also relieve some boredom. i think its a tv binging eating thing, something to do. but theyre also nice :smile:. im about 5 10 and weigh about 70 kg
Reply 1
Original post by y6hhhfdse43
can someone read the context and tell me how bad this is, if not short term then long term?
ive been doing this a while (maybe about a month). sometimes i only eat half a bag. i'd say 0.85 * 30 = 26 bags a month. im not large (yet, in fact i havent rly noticed a difference in my body but it has been over a long duration that i dont notice significant changes, and its a short duration talking long term), and i also dont eat an awful amount throughout my day. i have breakfast, cereal (not the healthiest), maybe a snack throughout the day like homemade sandwiches/toasties/flatbread, in the evening ill have a reasonably large dinner, usually towards the night a bag of doritos since theyre yummy and i guess they also relieve some boredom. i think its a tv binging eating thing, something to do. but theyre also nice :smile:. im about 5 10 and weigh about 70 kg

Well I used to get 5 200g bags a week (don't judge) when I was about 14-15, I did it for about 3-4 months maybe. I never put weight on, but I still do occasionally eat a whole bag of crisps when watching stuff. At the moment I'm 6'2 and 11.5 stone (nearly 18yo). Hasn't affected me long term, except I can imagine people with slower metabolisms, you do gain weight.
Reply 2
Original post by Xopher_
Well I used to get 5 200g bags a week (don't judge) when I was about 14-15, I did it for about 3-4 months maybe. I never put weight on, but I still do occasionally eat a whole bag of crisps when watching stuff. At the moment I'm 6'2 and 11.5 stone (nearly 18yo). Hasn't affected me long term, except I can imagine people with slower metabolisms, you do gain weight.

im 18. i thought about a high metabolism due to being young too, maybe this is something i shouldnt be worried about. ty
Your still skinny mate.I myself eat alot but can't get past 160lbs at 5,11.
It will catch up with you eventually in terms of gaining weight. You're also not getting many nutrients so I'd recommend taking some supplements.
When you reach about 18-19, your metabolism slows down/you don't require as much food as a teenager does. If you kept this up for the rest of your life, you would become overweight.

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
im 18. i thought about a high metabolism due to being young too, maybe this is something i shouldnt be worried about. ty

Your metabolism may start to slow down as you get older, try and drop a few bags if you start to put on weight :wink:, or at least get some smaller bags!
Reply 6
You are eating useless calories, no nutritional benefit, full of carbs, sugar, chemicals, flavourings. It isn't real food, it's taxing on your body to ask it to break down that much crap every day.

You'll soon get nutrient deficiencies eating like that, you'll generally feel sh*tty, tired, can't focus, can't sleep, prone to illness due to weak immune system. Getting fat is the least of your concerns.
Reply 7
Original post by arizonaidiot
Your still skinny mate.I myself eat alot but can't get past 160lbs at 5,11.

Try lifting weights & eating above your calorie maintenance (200-400+). Whole milk is an easy way to get the calories in. Actually count them though, because some people say they eat a lot but they don't.

Again, real food, not junk/snack food.

Quick Reply